SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

SiouxVolley

This group of senior will leave this program with a lot of honors and accomplishments, with perhaps a few more coming their way.  

30-8 season is nothing to sniff at.  Hopefully they can look to take the next step as a program.

Next year:  Question 1,2,3 will be this

Is Mattson ready to take over at setter?

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

we lose a lot...a lot of good players. does pryor reload and maybe adds some jucos?

They still have good pieces coming back and a good recruiting class coming in.  If they can replace the middle and setter position with modest success, they could make it a 3-peat.

40 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They still have good pieces coming back and a good recruiting class coming in.  If they can replace the middle and setter position with modest success, they could make it a 3-peat.

Not to argue, I still see good things next year but is UND in the BSC or Summit for v-ball?  If Summit, Denver has been a real good team for past 4 years and I believe returns a lot of firepower so could be a tough battle.

Two teams we've beaten, Ole Miss and Green Bay, have made it to the round of eight in the NIVC.  Meanwhile, only P5 teams plus  BYU continue on in the NCAA.  This despite Creighton and Wichita St hosting.  The P5 gets almost all the vb talent so even some P5 schools hardly try.   Dooley, Griffin, Merseli and Julia K and Tepavac can't be replaced by mere freshman at our level.  Denver is losing seniors too but haven't researched it that much.

The NIVC would be more of a program builder as we could host several matches.

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NIVC would be more of a program builder as we could host several matches.

To some extent I agree, but being a Conference champion and NCAA participant are irreplaceable signs of success. To me the goal should be a strong enough non conference schedule to allow us to not play the seeded team right off the bat. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dustin said:

To some extent I agree, but being a Conference champion and NCAA participant are irreplaceable signs of success. 

The fans can get to see postseason games in the NIVC.  Just like the NIT.  That can spawn more attendance down the road, and gaining better recruits.  That's all I saying.  I'm sure the team would not trade their BSC championship for it.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The fans can get to see postseason games in the NIVC.  Just like the NIT.  That can spawn more attendance down the road, and gaining better recruits.  That's all I saying.  I'm sure the team would not trade their BSC championship for it.

I disagree - the exposure of playing MN in Minneapolis during the NCAA tourney is huge for recruiting.  Tons of talent coming out of the Twin Cities.  

• Upvote 2