SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I would like to know your thoughts on my questions:

Do you feel that sports is no longer entertainment?

Do you grieve or stress over a UND loss for more than a few minutes?

Is UND losing a game really important in your life?

Not when people say we lost but it's okay because the game was entertaining.

Yes, because I have a passion to see UND sports succeed it's my job as a die hard UND fan. A win makes my day really good, a loss puts a rain cloud over it.

It's imporant after my family as I love sports and it hurts when my team loses (from HS-to the pros).

Thanks now that I understand your perspective I have to say I am on the other side of the sports universe. To me sports is pure entertainment. To me losing isn't fun and I want my team to win but a loss has no impact on my day too many other things are more important. Sports in general isn't even in my top 5 as far as what is really important to me. I will do us both a favor and ignore you (no offense). 

Thanks now that I understand your perspective I have to say I am on the other side of the sports universe. To me sports is pure entertainment. To me losing isn't fun and I want my team to win but a loss has no impact on my day too many other things are more important. Sports in general isn't even in my top 5 as far as what is really important to me. I will do us both a favor and ignore you (no offense).

Do what you have to do, but If you want to defend and support a worthless coach go for it.

Agreed Minnesota could easily be 5-1 instead of 1-5 in the B1G right now blowing a couple late leads and also losing a couple on last second shots. Those trying to compare Pitino and Jones situation there is no comparison Pitino is in his 2nd season and still relying on players from the previous regime that don't exactly fit his system great and he has a very good recruiting class coming in next season. Minnesota definitely isn't a "garbage" team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go on a winning streak and get themselves back in to the NCAA tourney conversation.

UND Also blew leads and lost close games. Pitino won NIT with tubby's players. Tubby NCAA championship with Pitino Players. First lousy year in Big Sky for Jones. Why panic?

UND Also blew leads and lost close games. Pitino won NIT with tubby's players. Tubby NCAA championship with Pitino Players. First lousy year in Big Sky for Jones. Why panic?

Because he doesn't know how to coach. He knows how to recruit somewhat it appears. Would be better off as an assistant.

I'm not panicking at all about firing Jones or not I was just stating the situation he has right now and the situation Pitino has right now aren't even close to the same and really shouldn't be compared.

It is a shame, are we happy to lose to a team like UNC because the game was entertaining? You want entertainment go to a movie, this is sports where you are happy if they win but not happy if they lose. If we are getting beat at home getting wins on the road isn't going to be much easier.

After reading this post, I'm thinking the next call you make should be to 1-800-522-4700. If it's not entertainment, then you've got another angle to being so consumed. Especially when attending the games nearly never occurs and you base your in-depth assessments on reading box scores and message board game day threads. Get some help. http://www.ncpgambling.org/help-treatment/national-helpline-1-800-522-4700/

After reading this post, I'm thinking the next call you make should be to 1-800-522-4700. If it's not entertainment, then you've got another angle to being so consumed. Especially when attending the games nearly never occurs and you base your in-depth assessments on reading box scores and message board game day threads. Get some help. http://www.ncpgambling.org/help-treatment/national-helpline-1-800-522-4700/

So you are happy with a losing team? Do you attend games just to socialize and don't care about the scoreboard? If so you need help.

I have been to football and hockey this year...why?

It would appear that UNDBIZ and choyt3 are wondering why you seem to have a ton of opinions on several different sports and coaches but with each of your multitude of posts in this forum it has become glaringly and in some cases painfully obvious that you really don't have much understanding or the capability to understand the sports you blather on about......................................just a guess on my end, I don't want to speculate ??? ?

• Upvote 1

Do what you have to do, but If you want to defend and support a worthless coach go for it.

Who's defending Jones?  I don't see CMSioux sticking up for him anywhere in his posts, he's clearly stating why he enjoys sports and what it means to him.  Just because he doesn't want to run the athletic department into the ground in buyout fees and fire every coach on a whim doesn't mean he's in favor of giving the coach a lifetime extension.

• Upvote 4

Who's defending Jones?  I don't see CMSioux sticking up for him anywhere in his posts, he's clearly stating why he enjoys sports and what it means to him.  Just because he doesn't want to run the athletic department into the ground in buyout fees and fire every coach on a whim doesn't mean he's in favor of giving the coach a lifetime extension.

A whim? You calling what Jones have done for the last almost decade, a whim?!?  :crazy:

A whim? You calling what Jones have done for the last almost decade, a whim?!?  :crazy:

The smells of some type of personal issue.

Much better transition to d1 then what Nagy at sdsu endured. All this with players no one else wanted. Appears now recruiting is on uptick. Be competitive this year and take run at it next year. Have to believe administration is happy especially considering the money brought into program via money games.

WE FINISHED 2nd IN THE BIG SKY LAST YEAR. IN OUR 2nd YEAR IN THE CONFERENCE. I REPEAT, WE FINISHED 2nd IN THE BIG SKY LAST YEAR.

Much better transition to d1 then what Nagy at sdsu endured. All this with players no one else wanted. Appears now recruiting is on uptick. Be competitive this year and take run at it next year. Have to believe administration is happy especially considering the money brought into program via money games.

WE FINISHED 2nd IN THE BIG SKY LAST YEAR. IN OUR 2nd YEAR IN THE CONFERENCE. I REPEAT, WE FINISHED 2nd IN THE BIG SKY LAST YEAR.

This doesn't explain that his teams are selfish and fundamentally unsound.  Maybe this is how the game has evolved and I'm just old and behind the times.  

• Upvote 1

So what our neighbor to the south went to the dance their first year in the Slummit, the UND women went to the dance their second year in the big sky. UND was at .500 when they started conference tournament play, a loss on the first game of the playoffs meant no dance and no CIT (they don't allow teams with losing records). That'a how good second place in the conference meant.

So what our neighbor to the south went to the dance their first year in the Slummit, the UND women went to the dance their second year in the big sky. UND was at .500 when they started conference tournament play, a loss on the first game of the playoffs meant no dance and no CIT (they don't allow teams with losing records). That'a how good second place in the conference meant.

It's pretty obvious the bolded part is your main problem, seems to be where all your issues stem from.  And the rest is hypotheticals.  I could not care less what "could" have happened if they lost their first game in the Big Sky tournament, they didn't.  And then they won the next won.  And if you want to talk "what-ifs", then UND beats Weber last year if they don't have half of their contributors hurt for the championship game.  See how easy that is?

Also, Brewster took over a team that was 21-11 and led them to an 11-18 record, a team of which not only had he been on the staff for the previous 4 years (9 years total) but was the main recruiter and had basically been running it for the few previous seasons.  Should have fired though him I guess.

Just for jollies, records/results after two years of conference play:

Jones: 24-16 - finished 3rd and T-2nd, 2 Big Sky tournaments (lost in semi's and final's), 2 postseason tournaments (CIT, 0-2 record)

Brewster: 21-19 - finished T-9th and T-1st, 1 Big Sky tournament (missed first year, won second year), 1 NCCA tournament

And before you start putting words in people's mouths, still not endorsing Jones or trying to sign him to any sort of extension nor do I think Brewster should have been fired.

That's right -the Slummit. AND for the men, one game away from the dance in second year. Btw, I hope Brewster is thankful for the sword men's team is falling on to generate cash for department.

It hasn't been perfect but is nowhere close to a thread like this.

It's pretty obvious the bolded part is your main problem, seems to be where all your issues stem from. And the rest is hypotheticals. I could not care less what "could" have happened if they lost their first game in the Big Sky tournament, they didn't. And then they won the next won. And if you want to talk "what-ifs", then UND beats Weber last year if they don't have half of their contributors hurt for the championship game. See how easy that is?

Also, Brewster took over a team that was 21-11 and led them to an 11-18 record, a team of which not only had he been on the staff for 9 years but was the main recruiter and had basically been running it for the few previous years. Should have fired though him I guess.

Just for jollies, records/results after two years of conference play:

Jones: 24-16 (2 Big Sky tournaments, finished 3rd and T-2nd)

Brewster: 21-19 (1 Big Sky tournament, 1 NCCA tournament, finished T-9th and T-1st)

And before you start putting words in people's mouths, still not defending or endorsing Jones nor do I think Brewster should have been fired.

Brewster took UND to the Dance in 2 years of coaching was towards the tops in the nation in rebounding, Jones is in his what 8th year and has 6 OOC road wins, a bunch of CIT trips, and is usually towards the bottom in rebounding. Yep fire Brewster and keep Jones.

Brewster took UND to the Dance in 2 years of coaching was towards the tops in the nation in rebounding, Jones is in his what 8th year and has 6 OOC road wins, a bunch of CIT trips, and is usually towards the bottom in rebounding. Yep fire Brewster and keep Jones.

Let's just cut to the chase and be done. "You're an idiot". "No, you're the idiot". "No man, I said you are an idiot!" "Well, you're a bigger idiot". Ok, next topic.

That's right -the Slummit. AND for the men, one game away from the dance in second year. Btw, I hope Brewster is thankful for the sword men's team is falling on to generate cash for department.

It hasn't been perfect but is nowhere close to a thread like this.

What "sword" are they falling on to make money for the entire AD?