SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Jones is clueless. I agree with the Weber guy; this team has so much talent and it's being completely wasted by selfish play and lack of fundamentals. It's obvious Jones doesn't have the respect of this team. It's a mirror image of Muss's regime. Can Jones.

At the end of the 2013-14 season, if the team does not progress further than the 2012-13 season (either BSC W-L or post-season tourney), Jones should be on alert. He probably gets one more year (2014-15) to prove his case, but that should be it. I agree with Bin City - with the exeption of 2 games, this whole season has been a choke job. There's no way the 13-14 squad should perform worse than the 12-13 squad, but so far that is the case. This was the year I've been waiting for since 2011, and now I'm actually more excited about women's BB.

This WAS the year when Jones couldn't hide behind excuses like "we're too young" and "we're too injured" - I get it Brekke was a major loss but you had NOTHING ELSE to replace him in the post after all these years??? Calcaterra had 2 minutes of playing time the other night and where the hell was NASH??? aarrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Jones=Muss is a valid comparision. They seem to blame players and "circumstances" and everything else BUT themselves?? Brian is a nice guy but it might be time to cut the ties after this mediocre "dream season". The best thing about this season is they KICKED ndsu in the nuts and now the cow-school thinks they're the sh*t in the slummit....THAT'S HILARIOUS!!! They might win but I'm putting my money on ORAL Roberts so open wide cowcollege - they're coming for you! :)

It didn't. Players currently in the program cannot transfer without sitting out a year. Players who have signed a letter of intent can ask out of their obligation, and this is usually granted.

That is not true. If a coach moves on or is fired the player can petition the school for release of his scholarship and in most cases the school releases the player and then again in almost all cases the NCAA will allow this player to transfer without sitting out. Stefen and 4 other Green Bay players were in a similar situation and none of them had to sit out. The coach didn't leave but there were many issues regarding the coach. This happens every year when coaches leave.

That is not true. If a coach moves on or is fired the player can petition the school for release of his scholarship and in most cases the school releases the player and then again in almost all cases the NCAA will allow this player to transfer without sitting out. Stefen and 4 other Green Bay players were in a similar situation and none of them had to sit out. The coach didn't leave but there were many issues regarding the coach. This happens every year when coaches leave.

Exactly. You have to petition to move on, its not a rule that you can just move on without sitting out a year. Have to petition the NCAA. They turn down just as many as they accept.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, with the turnaround of this team the only way Jones is fired at the end of the year is if he does something stupid. I don't think he has done anything to deserve to be fired right now but I just feel like if we stick with him in the future we are never going to get over that hump of being one of the best teams in the Big Sky. I think with him as the coach we are going to be stuck in mediocrity of the Big Sky. I guess next season will be a big one to see what kind of coach Jones really is. He is going to have to adjust big time without the help of this senior class which he has been relying on for the past four seasons. I can't really think of any possible candidates to replace Jones other than Ryan Moody but I think Faison would do a fine job of finding one that can lead us to the top of the Big Sky!

Obviously, with the turnaround of this team the only way Jones is fired at the end of the year is if he does something stupid. I don't think he has done anything to deserve to be fired right now but I just feel like if we stick with him in the future we are never going to get over that hump of being one of the best teams in the Big Sky. I think with him as the coach we are going to be stuck in mediocrity of the Big Sky. I guess next season will be a big one to see what kind of coach Jones really is. He is going to have to adjust big time without the help of this senior class which he has been relying on for the past four seasons. I can't really think of any possible candidates to replace Jones other than Ryan Moody but I think Faison would do a fine job of finding one that can lead us to the top of the Big Sky!

I agree it's not time. This is only our 2nd year in the Big Sky and we finished third last year and are currently sitting at 3rd this year. It will take more than 2 years to become a Montana or a Weber State and we have done a pretty good job competing in this league so far. Expectations are high this year I understand with everything returning but other teams have just as much coming back with just as much experience and teams like Montana and Weber recruit much better players than UND to begin with so they are ahead of us from the beginning. Not sure if UND will ever attract players like Weber and Montana does but we can only hope so. This team has won 4 of their last 5 and should have a 5 game winning streak if we could have made 1 or more plays last night. We are only 2 games out of first right now with a great chance of finishing in the top 3 again and once we enter the tournament I like our chances as well as anybody cause any team in this league can beat the other. Go Sioux

Why do some posters on this forum think the head coach shouldn't be held responsible for recruiting the right kids? If the kids on the team are selfish, don't hustle and don't listen, some of that is on the head coach and his staff for recruiting them and giving them a roster spot in the first place. Talent is important, but so is character, work ethic and selfless play. Gene Roebuck was good at evaluating whether a kid would fit into his system and his way of doing things. I am not sure Jones and company have that same talent.

I think he should get another season, but no contract extensions until this team starts performing well on a consistent basis. He took over when we were still a Division 2/NCC program, so he's been here long enough to be held responsible for the results or lack thereof. One more season; if there isn't some improvement, make a change.

Just a general statement regarding coaching and coaching changes:

There's a reason why coaches are the first major change that occurs when a team doesn't perform. Particularly at the college ranks, coaches are directly responsible for the recruitment of talent (influx of players) and the leadership/development of those players. If a team is consistently losing, they need better players and/or leadership; both fall on coaches in college athletics. In the case of poor talent, better recruiting is needed. In the case of a lack of performance, better leadership and strategy is needed.

UND basketball is underperforming right now. If they continue to struggle for the remainder of this season and next, a change should be made. Hopefully, however, we can somehow still beat Weber State, Northern Colorado, and Montana and get a top 2 seed. Those are the expectations that Jones should be judged on: can we get a top 2 seed and make the conference championship game. Anything less is a failure!

• Upvote 1

He got a talented group with this years seniors, but has shown zero ability to either add to them or coach them up. The Muss of the basketball program.

Totally agree. Muss did a great job getting UND to be third last year and in the top part of the Big Sky in his first two seasons in the league. :silly:

Just a general statement regarding coaching and coaching changes:

There's a reason why coaches are the first major change that occurs when a team doesn't perform. Particularly at the college ranks, coaches are directly responsible for the recruitment of talent (influx of players) and the leadership/development of those players. If a team is consistently losing, they need better players and/or leadership; both fall on coaches in college athletics. In the case of poor talent, better recruiting is needed. In the case of a lack of performance, better leadership and strategy is needed.

UND basketball is underperforming right now. If they continue to struggle for the remainder of this season and next, a change should be made. Hopefully, however, we can somehow still beat Weber State, Northern Colorado, and Montana and get a top 2 seed. Those are the expectations that Jones should be judged on: can we get a top 2 seed and make the conference championship game. Anything less is a failure!

You said it better than I did. Well done.

He got a talented group with this years seniors, but has shown zero ability to either add to them or coach them up. The Muss of the basketball program.

I agree that maybe they have not been coached up until here lately. He is finally starting to bench a few players for very poor shots and this should have been done 4 years ago and this group would be so much better today. In the last 5 games they are moving the ball better and the shot selection is better and if not for 18 turnovers this last game we would be on a 5 game winning streak. Most of the 18 turnovers were just very poor unforced decisions by experienced players. Hopefully in the future Jones will learn from his mistakes and not let this happen again or just recruit more unselfish players that are more team oriented in high school.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. I think the past, Jones's teams have played their best basketball at the end of the season, hopefully that trend continues. Would be nice to not have to face Weber until the Big Sky finals which likely means finishing 1, 2 or 3.

Jones seems to always do just enough to keep his job status in good standing. As others have said, his teams usually are playing very well during the last month of the season, and that dates back to NCC days.

I was a big supporter of Jones when they were looking for Rich Glas' replacement. But after 8 years of mixed results at best, I continue to get frustrated at times. Under Jones, they've looked great at times, and they've looked horrible at times as well. The inconsistency is very wearing on a fan. I was extremely optimistic back in 2008 when we won the first DI game to open the season against UMKC. But then a year later we lost to Mayville. His teams are all over the place.

The non-conference record and road record the last few years is extremely frustrating to me.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus, but I need to see something encouraging over the last couple months of the season. I had very high expectations coming into this season. As someone who grew up in the "Golden Age" of Sioux basketball in the early 90's, being .500-ish every year is not acceptable to me.