SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

If Jones was to let go, it would of happened yesterday. Probably too expensive a decision for Faison. Probably would cost at least $250k a year, with Jones salary plus a new coach and assistants.

What is the financial cost of perpetual underachievement?

• Upvote 1

He didn't hire Mussman either, and we saw where that road went.

Who said he did?  He also let him go after two consecutive sub-par seasons after giving him an small extension and a small bump in pay that may or may not have been deserved.  Sound familiar?  If history is any indication, people shouldn't be shocked that Jones is still the head coach and should understand what next year means for his ongoing employment status. 

Who said he did? He also let him go after two consecutive sub-par seasons after giving him an small extension and a small bump in pay that may or may not have been deserved. Sound familiar? If history is any indication, people shouldn't be shocked that Jones is still the head coach and should understand what next year means for his ongoing employment status.

It means this school has to wait another 2 years to hit .500 at the minimum while NDSU gets Dance trips.

It means this school has to wait another 2 years to hit .500 at the minimum while NDSU gets Dance trips.

They were one win away from a dance trip last year.  A last second shot and another win two years before.  The results are what they are but if you can't understand the realities of the situation, including the financial part of it, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I've stated since early in the season that the leash was likely pretty long from being close to winning the conference tournament last year (and pretty decent showing in conference tournaments the previous two years) despite a lot of other disappointments in those seasons.  Expectations weren't high and the definitely lived up to it, though with a lot of closer games than most people expected.  Next year is going to be pretty definitive.

They were one win away from a dance trip last year. A last second shot and another win two years before. The results are what they are but if you can't understand the realities of the situation, including the financial part of it, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I've stated since early in the season that the leash was likely pretty long from being close to winning the conference tournament last year (and pretty decent showing in conference tournaments the previous two years) despite a lot of other disappointments in those seasons. Expectations weren't high and the definitely lived up to it, though with a lot of closer games than most people expected. Next year is going to be pretty definitive.

Pretty well put and from a person who seems to look at all this fairly objectively. For some of us, myself included, the bias is pretty heavy. I would also be willing to bet jdub stated the same thing 80 pages ago. Ok, let's get hamster wheel "a hummin" again. I'll start. BullCit.

Even though I had limited expectations for this season, I just didn't see a last place finish coming. Nor a 1-8 home conference record. I figured if Jones won 12 games or so, that would buy him another year. But I did think there was a minimum acceptable record. I guess I was wrong.

As I've stated before, next year really concerns me. We all know some improvement is inevitable, but how much is absolutely required? Does Faison extend him again if he just approaches .500? 

• Upvote 1

Did he not give him the extension he is currently milking?

The first extension in 2012 was the right move.  I am not going to defend the second one he gave him a year later.

Its interesting that Steve Brekke actually gave him his first extension.  Be curious to know where he stands on the situation today.

Can you retell that story. I dont remember how it went anymore

Here's the story (joke) about the three envelopes.

A young coach had just been hired as the new coach at a bigger university. The coach who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these when you run into problems with the alumni." he said. 

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but a few months later, the season took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame the previous coach." 

The new coach called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous coach. Satisfied with his comments, the alumni responded positively, things began to pick up and the issue was soon behind him. 

The next season the team was again experiencing a dip in wins, and the message boards were getting heated. Having learned from his previous experience, the coach quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize your staff." This he did, and the team turned things around.  

After several consecutive successful seasons, the team once again fell on difficult times. The coach went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope. 

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."

Here's the story (joke) about the three envelopes.

A young coach had just been hired as the new coach at a bigger university. The coach who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these when you run into problems with the alumni." he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but a few months later, the season took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame the previous coach."

The new coach called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous coach. Satisfied with his comments, the alumni responded positively, things began to pick up and the issue was soon behind him.

The next season the team was again experiencing a dip in wins, and the message boards were getting heated. Having learned from his previous experience, the coach quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize your staff." This he did, and the team turned things around.

After several consecutive successful seasons, the team once again fell on difficult times. The coach went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."

Lol!!!

Even though I had limited expectations for this season, I just didn't see a last place finish coming. Nor a 1-8 home conference record. I figured if Jones won 12 games or so, that would buy him another year. But I did think there was a minimum acceptable record. I guess I was wrong.

As I've stated before, next year really concerns me. We all know some improvement is inevitable, but how much is absolutely required? Does Faison extend him again if he just approaches .500? 

With the players that should be playing the majority of minutes next year, I say he has to make a run at the BSC Championship. Good showing in the semis if it is a loss.  Prefer to see a championship game though. A signature win would be nice, not NDSU, but the money games are tough to win. Sometimes, its difficult for a team to go overseas and play well that next season, but I think with the youth on this team, it could actually be beneficial for them to get extra practice and games in.  If its borderline, i think you have to let him go. No reason to extend him, and certainly dont want a lame duck coach. So, its either get the team back to prominence or find another coach who will.

Unfortunately, with the hockey AD, I dont know what he will deem acceptable.

With the players that should be playing the majority of minutes next year, I say he has to make a run at the BSC Championship. Good showing in the semis if it is a loss.  Prefer to see a championship game though.

I don't follow the recruiting trail or high school ball closely at all, so if people are expecting the addition of Crandall and Seales to take this team from worst to first, they must be pretty outstanding.  But it also makes me wonder if they are so outstanding, why they would choose a program that hasn't accomplished much of anything in well over a decade and when it is at its best it is playing .500 ball?