SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Fire Jones for not finishing in top 4 this season is like someone saying Duke should fire Coach K if Duke fails to reach the final 4 Every year. Guess what folks UND is a mens hockey school that it everything else is an after thought. UND has no money for a great HC they have very little in state talent.  They have no video board. It is damn cold place to be . And recruits love 20 below weather and playing for a school where hockey is the king sport and basketball is just another pawn sport.

Obviously you have no idea of the talent on this years squad and where they should be rather than where they are already at this point of the season. Maybe they'll improve as the year goes on, but they're not where they could and should be. especially after that NDSU loss.

Despite the extreme cold, Lack of money...team has to play a bunch of road games to afford trip to Italy next summer, cannot afford a video board that some high schools teams have, lack of In state talent , Hockey School, NDSU is a more attractive in state program higher RPI  conference, bigger metropolitan area, And Basketball not an after thought to other sports.  Do not be stupid enough to compare NDSU football to UND hockey NDSU football is a 2nd tier Sport at NCAA level UND Hockey plays at the TOP NCAA level. The fact that UND has been one of the TOP 3 big sky teams since joining is amazing!!!  Since Joining the Big Sky 2 years ago UND has finished 2nd and 3rd.  I guess there are 9 other coaches doing worse that need to be fired!  Heck 80% of the College basketball coaches in the USA have done worse in their  conference the last 2 years....Might as well fire 80% of all the coaches out there!   The 20 % of the coaches who do not deserve to be fired yet  UND can offer them a 1.5 Million a year to coach the team.  Amazing

Bold statement is incorrect. Big Sky is higher than the Summit league this year

Obviously you have no idea of the talent on this years squad and where they should be rather than where they are already at this point of the season. Maybe they'll improve as the year goes on, but they're not where they could and should be. especially after that NDSU loss.

No, it's not obvious. None of this is obvious.

Damn so the whole season is going to be spent in the Fire Jones thread. Glad this thread does not reflect how a majority of fans support this team. Of course as has been said anyone is welcome to share their opinion but does it have to be shared over and over and over.  

Here's a novel idea I think I'll go to the game this week and cheer for the team because these guys chose to come to UND - and hey I hear it can get cold in Grand Forks - but they came and they are playing and studying and trying to better themselves. 

At the end of the day it's a game. 

I do expect us to be annual contenders for the MBB Big Sky autobid and to make occasional trips to the NCAA tournament in March.

So far so good then?

UND has only been in the Big Sky two years: has improved every year, never finished below 3rd, and was in the conference title game last year.

It took basketball rich, #1 school sport, 7,000 fans a game; Weber State 7 years between NCAA tournament appearances before they beat UND last year.

Then there is also the high expectations of the storied Montana Griz basketball program.

Then there is Montana State trying to keep up with the storied D1 basketball program of Montana who hasn't sniffed a NCAA tournament appearance for about 20 years.

UND isn't playing Morningside and Augustana anymore (Not that UND was tearing up D2 before leaving).

Nobody can win at UND. NOBODY. Get it through your head already!!! We are lucky to even have him stay as long as he has. I am sure he has had many other offers to move on.

It is too damn COLD. 17-17 is the best that any coach could do at UND and we should all accept that fact.

This winter, heck with Arizona or Florida; I'm going to stay down in Fargo and watch NDSU basketball, because the climate is so much better than Grand Forks and so is the basketball recruiting. I mean, at least according to your insane self it is.

Bottom line, NDSU/Fargo gets pretty cold too.

Pretty tough to call it a fluke when they were a rattled 3 pointer away from doing it the year before.

I have no disagreements on Jones OOC record among other things but his teams have played their best basketball at the end of the year and in conference tournaments. Making the Big Sky championship game last year was no fluke.

They also hired Tim Brewster in between and their program got worse before it got better. Kind of an important detail.

So you are dismissing what happens 3/4 of the season as long as they get hot at the end. I hope you didn't forget the conference championship entry just got tougher as Idaho is in the mix which means another school that could make it over us. How about looking at the whole season and not just the last month or two and pray for a hot streak. If Jones can't beat TX-PA what makes you think we will climb over EWU or WSU.

So far so good then?

UND has only been in the Big Sky two years: has improved every year, never finished below 3rd, and was in the conference title game last year.

It took basketball rich, #1 school sport, 7,000 fans a game; Weber State 7 years between NCAA tournament appearances before they beat UND last year.

Then there is also the high expectations of the storied Montana Griz basketball program.

Then there is Montana State trying to keep up with the storied D1 basketball program of Montana who hasn't sniffed a NCAA tournament appearance for about 20 years.

UND isn't playing Morningside and Augustana anymore (Not that UND was tearing up D2 before leaving).

What are Montana, MSU, and WSU's signature wins and OOC road record the last 6 years? I can almost guarantee they have beaten some tough opponents (ranked probably) and they must have a better OOC road win mark greater than 6!!

This winter, heck with Arizona or Florida; I'm going to stay down in Fargo and watch NDSU basketball, because the climate is so much better than Grand Forks and so is the basketball recruiting. I mean, at least according to your insane self it is.

Either you quoted the wrong poster or your sarcasm meter is broken. 

What are Montana, MSU, and WSU's signature wins and OOC road record the last 6 years? I can almost guarantee they have beaten some tough opponents (ranked probably) and they must have a better OOC road win mark greater than 6!!

You would sure think so. They didn't just finishing transitioning from d2.

Let's start a new motto around here.

ButtNDSU

Brian Jones and Dave Hakstol have something in common. Neither was able to win their conferences post season tournaments the last two years.

What is Hakstol's record before tournament play?  What is Hakstol's non-conference record?  Are fans lining up in droves to see the product that Jones puts on the floor like they do to see the product that Hakstol puts on the ice?

What is Hakstol's record before tournament play? What is Hakstol's non-conference record? Are fans lining up in droves to see the product that Jones puts on the floor like they do to see the product that Hakstol puts on the ice?

Mediocre? Does Hak have any regular season signature wins? Probably never beat one team ten spots ahead of them in the polls. And he gets two shots at it every weekend.

What would Jones record be if he coached Duke basketball that only had 60 teams of which half would be mid majors?

Don't forget Glen Mason at Minnesota. He loaded up on a soft non-conference schedule, which allowed him to get to 6 wins and be bowl eligible even while getting destroyed by the B1G elite. But he forgot one little detail; you must win the crappy bowl game you get or else. That is what doomed him in the end. Now they are building a better program with Jerry Kill.

Glen Mason did have a big win over #2 ranked Penn State in Happy Valley in 1999 and #6 ranked Ohio State in Columbus in 2000, though. Big game wins. His knee-jerk firing immediately after Texas Tech's bowl game epic comeback against Minnesota probably set that program back a decade.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure that was a tongue-in-cheek comment in regards to my post about Coach Calipari going 41-20 in out of conference play on the road and envisioning what would happen to him at Kentucky, let alone with a 6-55 OOC road record.

Glen Mason did have a big win over #2 ranked Penn State in Happy Valley in 1999 and #6 ranked Ohio State in Columbus in 2000, though. Big game wins. His knee-jerk firing immediately after Texas Tech's bowl game epic comeback against Minnesota probably set that program back a decade.

2003 Gophers/Michigan ring a bell?

So you are dismissing what happens 3/4 of the season as long as they get hot at the end. I hope you didn't forget the conference championship entry just got tougher as Idaho is in the mix which means another school that could make it over us. How about looking at the whole season and not just the last month or two and pray for a hot streak. If Jones can't beat TX-PA what makes you think we will climb over EWU or WSU.

Not at all what I said, but if I had to choose, I absolutely would prefer a team playing better at the end of the year over the beginning of the year. Winning a bunch of games early in the season doesn't matter if the team flames out in conference play or loses in the first round of the conference tournament.  I'd prefer a nice mix, but if a team is going to peak, I want it to be in February/March since I don't think we'll be seeing an at large bid out of the Big Sky anytime soon.  And who would have imagined a team replacing 2/3's of its production and that has 3 or 4 new starters would be inconsistent and lay some eggs.  Don't like it and hoped it wouldn't happen, but it isn't a big surprise.

I think we already have enough threads centered on coaches who the fans perceive to have not end the year the way they'd prefer.  

And if you want to be picky about it, it has actually become statistically easier to make the tournament.  In previous years, 7 out of 11 teams made it (63.6%).  Now 8 out of 12 teams make it (66.7%).

What are your expectations for Hakstol? Does the fact that UND hockey gain more focus mean he has higher standards?  He hasn't won a championship, and his curve starts out as NCAA runner up, to a plethora of semifinalist finishes, to now a plethora of regional finals. I think NDSU fans would demand a change if that was the case in football. I think if I was a ND fan I would be more unhappy with Hakstol than Jones concisdering the program expectations and what goes into them.

What are your expectations for Hakstol? Does the fact that UND hockey gain more focus mean he has higher standards? He hasn't won a championship, and his curve starts out as NCAA runner up, to a plethora of semifinalist finishes, to now a plethora of regional finals. I think NDSU fans would demand a change if that was the case in football. I think if I was a ND fan I would be more unhappy with Hakstol than Jones concisdering the program expectations and what goes into them.

Hakstol has been to the championship game multiple times, Jones hasn't won a CIT game. Hak's teams travel to Michigan and Boston and Wisconsin for an OOC road game and win, Jones has only 6 of those against lower quality teams. Hak can beat ranked teams, Jones can't. At least with Hak you can almost guarantee a spot in the NCAA tournament, with Jones you pray his team can make the CIT.

Hakstol has been to the championship game multiple times, Jones hasn't won a CIT game. Hak's teams travel to Michigan and Boston and Wisconsin for an OOC road game and win, Jones has only 6 of those against lower quality teams. Hak can beat ranked teams, Jones can't. At least with Hak you can almost guarantee a spot in the NCAA tournament, with Jones you pray his team can make the CIT.

Yea man. Yea. Copy and paste. Copy and paste. How about a new rule in this God forsaken thread. If you have already said it 12 times you can't say it again. We get it. You wanna blow the thing up. You are good to go.

• Upvote 1