SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think that's only if they play like they don't care, if they play to their potential then I think it's a little different.

GO SIOUX!!!

I agree--I was just poking fun at all of us, including myself, for how we've responded to FF failures over the years. 

For the record, I think we often attribute loses to them not caring when that is not really the case.  But I'm not in the locker room, so what do I know.

• Upvote 1

The great thing about UND hockey, is even now, when we appear to be in a crazy downward spiral, I still look forward to Friday and Saturday nights. Maybe its the hockey, maybe it is drinking a few beers, maybe its both, maybe it is the break from every day life .... Always look forward to UND hockey though.

Downward spiral may not be the right term. This team is actually playing much better as of late, but can not seem to get the win. Total domination with plenty of grade A chances against Western on Saturday. Seems like we keep running into the hot goalies as of late. Just hoping this weekend finally turns a corner. Given our results the past month, I certainly don't expect us to win the next 4, but if we do then I like our chances for the NCAA tourney. Otherwise we may need to have some success in the NCHC playoffs and likely the NCHC tourney.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

That's right.  I came away so distrought from that one that I thought it was first round.

Either way, the point is that 1 seeds have lost to 4th seeds quite a bit.  

Didn't sound like the point, you specified UND when you said haven't we done the same? And we haven't...

48 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The great thing about UND hockey, is even now, when we appear to be in a crazy downward spiral, I still look forward to Friday and Saturday nights. Maybe its the hockey, maybe it is drinking a few beers, maybe its both, maybe it is the break from every day life .... Always look forward to UND hockey though.

Downward spiral may not be the right term. This team is actually playing much better as of late, but can not seem to get the win. Total domination with plenty of grade A chances against Western on Saturday. Seems like we keep running into the hot goalies as of late. Just hoping this weekend finally turns a corner. Given our results the past month, I certainly don't expect us to win the next 4, but if we do then I like our chances for the NCAA tourney. Otherwise we may need to have some success in the NCHC playoffs and likely the NCHC tourney.

The thing is, while yes, we seem to be playing better and the goalies have been good, I really feel like we're going out of our way to make the goalies look like rock stars as well.  After being in Colorado Springs and watching last weekend, to me it seems like we are really hesitating before taking shots.  I know it's only a split second most of the time, but it's pretty noticeable.  The goal Gersich had on Sat. night he skated in the zone and shot quickly, he didn't stop, go to his backhand, then forehand and then shoot.  At least 4-5 times a game there are passes that should be one-timed (or at least one-time attempted) that are being held for that split second that's giving these goalies time to cover minor mistakes.  We really just need to be a little bit more aggressive.  Sometimes, Boeser skates in the zone and looks like he just can't decide what to do w/ the puck.  The lazy backhand passes aren't cutting it.  Make the decision you're going to the net and go.  Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?   

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

The thing is, while yes, we seem to be playing better and the goalies have been good, I really feel like we're going out of our way to make the goalies look like rock stars as well.  After being in Colorado Springs and watching last weekend, to me it seems like we are really hesitating before taking shots.  I know it's only a split second most of the time, but it's pretty noticeable.  The goal Gersich had on Sat. night he skated in the zone and shot quickly, he didn't stop, go to his backhand, then forehand and then shoot.  At least 4-5 times a game there are passes that should be one-timed (or at least one-time attempted) that are being held for that split second that's giving these goalies time to cover minor mistakes.  We really just need to be a little bit more aggressive.  Sometimes, Boeser skates in the zone and looks like he just can't decide what to do w/ the puck.  The lazy backhand passes aren't cutting it.  Make the decision you're going to the net and go.  Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?   

My wife has been saying the same thing when we watch games and I see it too.  Agree with a lot of what you're saying here.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Didn't sound like the point, you specified UND when you said haven't we done the same? And we haven't...

No the initial point was that SCSU has won something recently. Which they have.  The 1 seed thing was very much a side tangent.

Just now, Hockeygirl97 said:

Absolutely! The players seem to be much slower than last season to make the decision to take the shot when they have it. Cost us a goal last weekend, when a cross ice pass gave someone a wide open look at the net. We waited to shoot and gave the goalie time to get over.

Boeser has been a little curious this season. Obviously a great talent, and gets a ton of attention on the ice, but he does seem to skate the puck to the top of the circle and let the quick shot go like last season. Not sure if it is all the attention, the lack of "NHL" talent he had last season, wrist injuries, or a combo. But hopefully he starts scoring again and quickly.

As for the passes, this has been another very noticeable difference from last season. There seems to be a ton of no look, bouncing passes, that are just chipped away this year. A big lack of crisp tape to tape passes like we saw last year. Almost like players don't know where their line mates will be. Something that I though would have improved over the course of the season, but there still seems to be some continuity issues. Probably won't be seeing the tic-tac-tic-tac-tic-tac-toe type goals this season.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Absolutely! The players seem to be much slower than last season to make the decision to take the shot when they have it. Cost us a goal last weekend, when a cross ice pass gave someone a wide open look at the net. We waited to shoot and gave the goalie time to get over.

Boeser has been a little curious this season. Obviously a great talent, and gets a ton of attention on the ice, but he does seem to skate the puck to the top of the circle and let the quick shot go like last season. Not sure if it is all the attention, the lack of "NHL" talent he had last season, wrist injuries, or a combo. But hopefully he starts scoring again and quickly.

As for the passes, this has been another very noticeable difference from last season. There seems to be a ton of no look, bouncing passes, that are just chipped away this year. A big lack of crisp tape to tape passes like we saw last year. Almost like players don't know where their line mates will be. Something that I though would have improved over the course of the season, but there still seems to be some continuity issues. Probably won't be seeing the tic-tac-tic-tac-tic-tac-toe type goals this season.

Not sure I'll see another goal like that in my life

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not sure I'll see another goal like that in my life

Probably not, that was pretty amazing.

But it would be nice to see the team pass better than they have, and shoot quicker than they have. I feel like that is where you would see Rhett excel. Just get the puck to the net, and let him try to clean up with a few garbage goals. Quick shots were a noticeable difference when this team played in Omaha.

• Upvote 1

I can't tell you the number of times I've made the comment "nice pass if he shot opposite handed" especially when forwards are kicking it back to the point. I'm not sure if it is the passer not putting it in the right spot for a one-timer or if it is the d man not finding open space with a passing lane to their forehand. I suspect it is a little of both.  There have also been games when 3/4 of the passes are aimed at their teammates skates. All of this leads to extra time for goalies to recover and become rockstars. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TNF said:

I can't tell you the number of times I've made the comment "nice pass if he shot opposite handed" especially when forwards are kicking it back to the point. I'm not sure if it is the passer not putting it in the right spot for a one-timer or if it is the d man not finding open space with a passing lane to their forehand. I suspect it is a little of both.  There have also been games when 3/4 of the passes are aimed at their teammates skates. All of this leads to extra time for goalies to recover and become rockstars. 

No such thing as a bad pass to a good player- 

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I get that...i just cant figure out what it's supposed to mean.

It means........................................................................UND would be better with a bunch of Josts and not a bunch of Wilkies.

Don't read too much into it.

• Upvote 1