SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

......many were saying the same thing about Murphy.

If you are a "goal scorer" and have that label you should be able to at least finish the open net tap in from last Saturday right before the end of the 2nd period.  Wilkie has played in 54 collegiate games.......5 goals total and 2 of those goals came in one game. So............he has 3 goals in the other 53 games.  Premature? Hardly. Bowen has 4 goals in 24 games and he didn't come in as a "goal scorer".  If Wilkie scores from here on out it's a bonus. Gardner, Boesser, JJ, Pogo Gersich are some of the guys that need to produce this weekend for this team to win.

So did Cam not even make the trip?

3 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

The hawks need to sweep this weekend and they need to be convincing victories (4+ goals). Besser seems like he isnt a two way player and needs to play on both ends of the arena in my opinion. Go Fighting hawks!!! 

All valid points, you forgot the O in Brocks name though.  Sucks jost is out though!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

......many were saying the same thing about Murphy.

If you are a "goal scorer" and have that label you should be able to at least finish the open net tap in from last Saturday right before the end of the 2nd period.  Wilkie has played in 54 collegiate games.......5 goals total and 2 of those goals came in one game. So............he has 3 goals in the other 53 games.  Premature? Hardly. Bowen has 4 goals in 24 games and he didn't come in as a "goal scorer".  If Wilkie scores from here on out it's a bonus. Gardner, Boesser, JJ, Pogo Gersich are some of the guys that need to produce this weekend for this team to win.

Isn't Murphy the second leading scorer on Arizona State?

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

Isn't Murphy the second leading scorer on Arizona State?

I have no clue. If he is that is great......for ASU. Still doesn't change his stats and production while he was here.

At least with Wilkie we're seeing effort and some chances. With our lack of depth, he does need to bury them, but he's working hard out there. He had a few at the end of last season, so that gives me hope.

Speaking of working hard out there, I'd like to see more of Gornall. He's got some energy and skill. Maybe it's his defensive play keeping him out, but with injuries he could see the ice more.

20 hours ago, TNF said:

After the last two weekends at The Ralph I'm really questioning if Boeser is dealing with a lower body injury as well. I expected a step backwards early in the year without the rest of his CBS line mates but we never understood the impact due to his wrist injury. But on a couple of occasions the past two weekends I turned to my wife and pointed to him skating behind the play. Either he was majorly dogging it or he didn't have his top gears working.  I suspect something isn't quite right but it is hard to tell without Cags doing most of the heavy lifting and Schmaltz picking pockets in the O zone. 

I agree with you on Boeser having some sort of nagging lower body injury as well because something seems off. Sure Cags and Schmaltz are going to give you tons of scoring opportunities but I remember during the second half of the season last year, Boeser was creating so many scoring chances and scoring on most of them all by himself on top of what his linees were contributing. As a goal scorer and flowing playmaker he looked to me as a half step ahead of Cags and Schmaltz most games towards the end. At the beginning of the season this year we were seeing that player picking up right where he left off...then he disappeared and still hasn't returned. 

21 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

At least with Wilkie we're seeing effort and some chances. With our lack of depth, he does need to bury them, but he's working hard out there. He had a few at the end of last season, so that gives me hope.

Speaking of working hard out there, I'd like to see more of Gornall. He's got some energy and skill. Maybe it's his defensive play keeping him out, but with injuries he could see the ice more.

I was pleasantly surprised by Gornall as well. He didn't seem as hesitant or as eager to give the puck to a teammate like he has in the past. He controlled the puck, made smart decisions, pushed the neutral zone, fore-checked harder and smarter than a lot of other players last Saturday. I'd like to see some more of him!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

So did Cam not even make the trip?

Pogo has stepped up in the games where we have been short handed but Gardner has not. I'd like to see something out of him other than penalties this weekend. Ger-stiches has been gliding high on a parallell path through all the ups and downs of the season. I'd rather have him playing than Jost or Boeser at this moment.

6 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I was pleasantly surprised by Gornall as well. He didn't seem as hesitant or as eager to give the puck to a teammate like he has in the past. He controlled the puck, made smart decisions, pushed the neutral zone, fore-checked harder and smarter than a lot of other players last Saturday. I'd like to see some more of him!  

Gornall is a guy that is tough to play against........UND needs more of those guys right now. He'd be in the lineup tonight if it were up to me.

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Is that central time or mountain time? 

Mountain time.  It's become a bit of a trend here in the Springs with both CC and Air Force adopting some early Saturday games.  It likely helps draw more fans because you're not out until at least 10 pm.

21 minutes ago, franchise said:

Sounds an awful lot like the Packers...

There isn't an NFL team out there that can compare injury issues to the Vikings! 

As a fan of the Vikes I can say...What if...And that is a thinker..

Anyway, I understand keeping injuries quiet to an extent. But why are we now hearing "Cam has an injury" "Ausmus has been dinged up", and Boeser "still has something wrong". What gives and if this is all true, things kind of make sense on the season, but why has Tomek not been in there?

1 hour ago, Siouxhawkey said:

All valid points, you forgot the O in Brocks name though.  

Maybe the O went missing for say the last week or two.  I've heard rumors that a D went missing as well but it is considered a cold case since it hasn't been seen since last April some time.  ;)

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have no clue. If he is that is great......for ASU. Still doesn't change his stats and production while he was here.

But the point was that you still can grow a lot after your sophomore year.  In fact there used to be quite the media attention placed on the "sophomore jinx".  Don't hear that anymore, but guys taking off in their junior and senior season isn't unheard of.   Steve Johnson's first 2 years were 2 goals and 8 goals then 26 and finally 34 which made him a Hobey Baker Finalist.  Not saying that is Wilkie, but plenty of examples of guys becoming impact players after their sophomore year.  In fact if you don't see those improvements on a gradual basis, I would question the development model.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

But the point was that you still can grow a lot after your sophomore year.  In fact there used to be quite the media attention placed on the "sophomore jinx".  Don't hear that anymore, but guys taking off in their junior and senior season isn't unheard of.  

I hope we find a few productive 4 year goal scorers in the coming years. Guys that aren't heavily sought after for "the show" due to size or some other reason but are very effective at the college level. Guys like Duncan and even Cags. Maybe even a guy like Ortega that isn't a D-bag would be nice. I wonder if Ortega was a 4 year guy because of his size or because everyone else hates him too.

11 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I hope we find a few productive 4 year goal scorers in the coming years. Guys that aren't heavily sought after for "the show" due to size or some other reason but are very effective at the college level. Guys like Duncan and even Cags. Maybe even a guy like Ortega that isn't a D-bag would be nice. I wonder if Ortega was a 4 year guy because of his size or because everyone else hates him too.

Probably because everyone hates him haha. 

In all seriousness it wouldn't surprise me if it turns some people off. 

38 minutes ago, tnt said:

But the point was that you still can grow a lot after your sophomore year.  In fact there used to be quite the media attention placed on the "sophomore jinx".  Don't hear that anymore, but guys taking off in their junior and senior season isn't unheard of.   Steve Johnson's first 2 years were 2 goals and 8 goals then 26 and finally 34 which made him a Hobey Baker Finalist.  Not saying that is Wilkie, but plenty of examples of guys becoming impact players after their sophomore year.  In fact if you don't see those improvements on a gradual basis, I would question the development model.  

Great........I'm sure Berry will pencil him in for 30+ points next season.  I tend to live in the "now". Everyone has potential of some kind. All you have to do is deal with the greater general public daily to find out most don't come close to their potential in anyway shape or form. Sports is no different.

Addendum........was one of those days.