SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

22 games not 22 years. Jamestown beat them 5-1 in 2007. Zach's senior year

I didn't think it was that long but I went with what these guys posted. 

Retweeted WDA Sports (@WDAsports):

WDA BOYS' HOCKEY
Thursday, Feb. 2
Jamestown 5, Century 4 
Jamestown's first win over Century in 22 years!
#wdahockey
#NDpreps

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Both GF schools struggle, but DL is a tough place to play, and it looks like RR went through the motions before scoring in the third against North.  

Devils Lake in the EDC reminds me of Western Michigan in the NCHC. They will probably never win the EDC but they always seem to roam in the top 3-5 and give the top teams a run for their money at home.  On the radio it sounded like DL was hitting GFC a lot which was frustrating them...again kind of a Western Michigan trait. Grant Johnson got kicked out for throwing punches? Will he be out next game too then? 

Now DL travels to Minot to take them on. I wouldn't be surprised if Minot wins in another close one. DL has to be wore out after a game like that, especially when their next game is less than 24 hours away. 

GFC and DL play again next Tuesday already in Grand Forks. I'm thinking GFC has woke up and will take them by 3-4 goals this time. 

I'm really interested to see how Century and High match up against Davies and South this weekend. I bet High beating South will be the only West win out of the 4 games. Doesn't it seem strange to have non-conference games so late down the stretch like this?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

Agree with ur assessment of dl being like wmu 

a little home cooking by refs never hurt either

Of the 16 penalties last night 11 were on DL and 5 were on GFC. All 3 GFC goals were PP goals and DL had 1 shorty and one PP goal. I know what you mean about home refs, but it didn't seem like the story line last night. 

19 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Of the 16 penalties last night 11 were on DL and 5 were on GFC. All 3 GFC goals were PP goals and DL had 1 shorty and one PP goal. I know what you mean about home refs, but it didn't seem like the story line last night. 

DL usually gets there officials from Grand Forks.

20 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It wasn't. If anything the refs favored GFC according to a buddy of mine who was the game.

16 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

It wasn't. If anything the refs favored GFC according to a buddy of mine who was the game.

Maybe DL's coach knew the only chance they had to play with GFC was to be really physical with them to throw them off their game. If so, it seemed to be pretty effective but it also drew a lot of penalties which created a lot of PP's for GFC and even a few unfavorable 5 on 3's. I saw DL play RR at the Eagles this year, and they do have quite a few big solid kids so that seems like it would be a good game plan. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I think everyone knows that you take high school stats with a large grain of salt, but here is how the UND recruits stack up.

2. Judd Caulfied (So) 16G 29A - 45P

5. Braden Costello (Jr) 19G 20A - 39P

I remember Costello being quoted at the beginning of the season saying he hopes to get 70-80 points this season...so much for that. 

9 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Maybe DL's coach knew the only chance they had to play with GFC was to be really physical with them to throw them off their game. If so, it seemed to be pretty effective but it also drew a lot of penalties which created a lot of PP's for GFC and even a few unfavorable 5 on 3's. I saw DL play RR at the Eagles this year, and they do have quite a few big solid kids so that seems like it would be a good game plan. 

I think that's the only way to beat Central.  At the same time you can't put them on the power play so you have to toe the line, which isn't the easiest thing with high school kids.  

If Johnson got a fighting major he is out for a game.  If he just got a misconduct he can return Saturday.