SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks vs Hornets predictions

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Is there a link to their board that any of you have been on?  Curious what their fans are thinking coming into the game. 

Nobody is saying anything on their forum. Deadly silent. 

http://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/

Also, if you want to get to any Big Sky message boards, just go to http://www.bigskyfans.com/

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Are we playoff quality? If so we should be able to hang 40 on them and hold them under 20. We need to make them quit. Get up early and make the game not fun for them. Make them feel stupid for wearing gold chrome.

I agree completely. If UND wants to be a playoff team THIS SEASON (no more excuses and postponements), they need to go on the road and handily beat this team. I understand and respect Bubba's mentality of playing conservative offensively and just getting wins, but style points do count for something when you have committees selecting playoff teams and not a numeric system. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Is there a link to their board that any of you have been on?  Curious what their fans are thinking coming into the game. 

No talk. Sacramento State football is a dead thing of late, largely due to the program's ineptitude. Just another reason the hawks CANNOT lose this game - it would crush their playoff hopes like last year's Idaho State loss.

• Upvote 1

This is biggest game of the season. A loss to Sac State and all of the momentum built up from the last three weeks is lost, not to mention playoff hopes significantly damaged. If UND is going to take that next step and become an elite program then this is a game they have to win.

Last week the Hornets ran 94 plays and wore down the MSU defense, largely because they converted 10 of 19 3rd down attempts of which several were third and long. UND cannot let this happen. Have to get off the field when given the opportunity. The UND offense should have a field day if they quit making the mistakes that have cut short drives the last couple of weeks.

I would like to say I'm completely confident but I'm not. UND simply does not have an elite defense (372 yards allowed per game) and the big plays they have allowed at times and the fact that they will be relying on true freshman corners on one side of the field make me nervous. I think UND wins but the score might make people's stomachs turn. UND 38-35

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, RD17 said:

This is biggest game of the season. A loss to Sac State and all of the momentum built up from the last three weeks is lost, not to mention playoff hopes significantly damaged. If UND is going to take that next step and become an elite program then this is a game they have to win.

Last week the Hornets ran 94 plays and wore down the MSU defense, largely because they converted 10 of 19 3rd down attempts of which several were third and long. UND cannot let this happen. Have to get off the field when given the opportunity. The UND offense should have a field day if they quit making the mistakes that have cut short drives the last couple of weeks.

I would like to say I'm completely confident but I'm not. UND simply does not have an elite defense (372 yards allowed per game) and the big plays they have allowed at times and the fact that they will be relying on true freshman corners on one side of the field make me nervous. I think UND wins but the score might make people's stomachs turn. UND 38-35

Preach on!

Edit- Except for your predicted score.

50 minutes ago, RD17 said:

No way in hell they score 35. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

No way in hell they score 35. 

I hope you are right. Last two weeks they have been 20 for 37 on third downs and run 181 plays because they stay on the field. And scored 34 and 41 points. Would you have guessed they would put up 41 against MSU's defense?

Point is, UND has to avoid the big plays and get off the field on third down. If they do those two things well they will crush Sac State because the Hornet defense is garbage. However, this is the style of team that has historically given UND fits and they have a hot QB that can run or pass. I do think they will score points.

17 minutes ago, RD17 said:

I hope you are right. Last two weeks they have been 20 for 37 on third downs and run 181 plays because they stay on the field. And scored 34 and 41 points. Would you have guessed they would put up 41 against MSU's defense?

Point is, UND has to avoid the big plays and get off the field on third down. If they do those two things well they will crush Sac State because the Hornet defense is garbage. However, this is the style of team that has historically given UND fits and they have a hot QB that can run or pass. I do think they will score points.

I'm not sure MSUs defense is actually that good. They're improved from last year but I feel that if Coe was at RT that whole game we would have ran all over them. Their defensive stats are a product of playing poor teams. 

18 minutes ago, RD17 said:

3rd and long INTs by Harris and company are what we need.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

3rd and long INTs by Harris and company are what we need.

Hopefully a number of long sustained drives will keep their offense off the field and also help limit how many points they put up against us.  While our secondary has given up some big plays (but what secondary hasn't), I sure feel a heck of a lot better than I did last year playing a team like this.  Love our huge improvement on making picks this year too....would sure think we'll get at least one on them.  Can't take the game for granted though, Studs has not thrown an INT yet this year......at some point he is going to throw a pick.  I think as long as we don't turn the ball over a bunch or a bunch of weird things happen, we'll be ok. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Hopefully a number of long sustained drives will keep their offense off the field and also help limit how many points they put up against us.  While our secondary has given up some big plays (but what secondary hasn't), I sure feel a heck of a lot better than I did last year playing a team like this.  Love our huge improvement on making picks this year too....would sure think we'll get at least one on them.  Can't take the game for granted though, Studs has not thrown an INT yet this year......at some point he is going to throw a pick.  I think as long as we don't turn the ball over a bunch or a bunch of weird things happen, we'll be ok. 

Correction one INT.  A ball off Toivonen's hands.

Just now, Nodak78 said:

Correction one INT.  A ball off Toivonen's hands.

Ahhh yeah you are right.  That one obviously wasn't Studs fault......but yes he does have that one.  Well good...maybe that means he's not way overdue for one this week then :) 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We will sustain long drives.  Keep in mind how sorry the MSU offense and QB play was.....and they put up a lot of points and yards on Sac St.  Problem was 4 turnovers by the Bobcats and Uncle Mo snuck up on them.  Bobcats are still trying to figure out how they lost that game......?  If Keaton plays average and we stay at 2 turnovers or less we will grind it out, slow things down.  Also, we travel 9-10 defensive lineman so not too worried about high play count anyway.  We need Hunt/Holm to make some plays, Sac St. will test them.  But unlike Cal Poly we can pin our ears back on this team, outside backers will shine again. (Triple option is just a different kind of animal)  We got this-

4 hours ago, RD17 said:

I like your takes.  Especially from the D2 days.  Even better, you are more pessimistic than me.  This game scares me more than any on the schedule.  Especially that it's at night and we tend to play everything else early.

On 10/7/2016 at 10:07 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Are we playoff quality? If so we should be able to hang 40 on them and hold them under 20. We need to make them quit. Get up early and make the game not fun for them. Make them feel stupid for wearing gold chrome.

Bingo!!

On 10/7/2016 at 3:07 PM, RD17 said:

Dude, hilarious prediction.  You could be the 3rd wheel with the Sac State announcers!

• Upvote 2

On 10/7/2016 at 3:07 PM, RD17 said:

You have really been struggling the last couple weeks, especially for such a great football mind.

• Upvote 1