SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks vs Seawolves predictions

Nodak78

29 minutes ago, Bob Furlong said:

Hi everyone. Just an SBU fan passing through. In the interest of accuracy, the Seawolves were 5-5 last season with a convincing win over New Hampshire.

Also, we only had 10 results due to the loss of a final at FBS Toledo where we trailed by 3 in the 3rd quarter before an electrical storm of biblical propotions cancelled the balance of the game.

We are looking forward to a challenging game with a strong opponent.

Welcome. We have many questions about your team. Can you give us the run down?

I can try to give you a brief overview. I would not be surprised if other Seawolves fans stop by and give their perpective. We have hung our hat on our defense for a number of years now and return 9 starters. Of course, one of those losses was an All American who is looking to stick with the Ravens. But we will be very quick on that side of the ball and have a preseason All Conference selection along the D Line.

Our special teams are solid but not spectacular but I understand our return teams have looked good in camp.

Most SBU fans will tell you our biggest concern is at QB. Of course, that is a bad place to have concerns. The incumbent has been very inconsistent and it really has held us back. This might be the best group of skill players we have ever had so we really need the QB to step up.

I expect our O line to be solid and we also return an All Conference RB from 2014 who sat out last season with injuries.

All in all, we hope to keep climbing the CAA ladder but we might be a year away from challenging the top of the conference.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Furlong said:

Hi everyone. Just an SBU fan passing through. In the interest of accuracy, the Seawolves were 5-5 last season with a convincing win over New Hampshire.

Also, we only had 10 results due to the loss of a final at FBS Toledo where we trailed by 3 in the 3rd quarter before an electrical storm of biblical propotions cancelled the balance of the game.

We are looking forward to a challenging game with a strong opponent.

What are your thoughts on your QB and offensive game plan?

Game prediction please-

Our running game has been the strength of our offense for years. We have some quality depth and with a solid O line I expect us to be pretty good running the ball. Our outside people are the best we may have ever had. So the elephant in the room is the QB. He will need to improve his judgement. He will make poor choices. We have a new OC this year so we are hoping that will be a help.

Not sure where to go with a score. Your team is a deserved favorite. How about 23 -16 North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Furlong said:

I can try to give you a brief overview. I would not be surprised if other Seawolves fans stop by and give their perpective. We have hung our hat on our defense for a number of years now and return 9 starters. Of course, one of those losses was an All American who is looking to stick with the Ravens. But we will be very quick on that side of the ball and have a preseason All Conference selection along the D Line.

Our special teams are solid but not spectacular but I understand our return teams have looked good in camp.

Most SBU fans will tell you our biggest concern is at QB. Of course, that is a bad place to have concerns. The incumbent has been very inconsistent and it really has held us back. This might be the best group of skill players we have ever had so we really need the QB to step up.

I expect our O line to be solid and we also return an All Conference RB from 2014 who sat out last season with injuries.

All in all, we hope to keep climbing the CAA ladder but we might be a year away from challenging the top of the conference.

Is your offense the same system as when you guys came here two seasons ago? Also, who are your studs. Like a top 5 offense and defense.  

Is there a Stony Brook fan forum?

We have a new offensive coordinator this year and my understanding is they are trying to open things up a bit. We need to do that to keep up with the rest of our conference. Our HC is a run first kind of guy so we will see how much rope he gives the new coordinator. Will depend on QB play of course.

We have a site known as Seawolves Fans. Come on over. I think you will find an invested but resonable group.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bob Furlong said:

Our running game has been the strength of our offense for years. We have some quality depth and with a solid O line I expect us to be pretty good running the ball. Our outside people are the best we may have ever had. So the elephant in the room is the QB. He will need to improve his judgement. He will make poor choices. We have a new OC this year so we are hoping that will be a help.

Not sure where to go with a score. Your team is a deserved favorite. How about 23 -16 North Dakota. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Our secondary is the biggest question mark of our defense so that should make for an interesting matchup. 

I was impressed with SB defense the last time we saw them.  They will likely be one of the best defenses we see all season and will be a challenge for our inexperienced O-line.

Good morning from Seawolves country.  Looking forward to a great game next Thursday.

Let me give you my take on the 2016 Seawolves.  In short, we will go as far as our QB and the right side of our offensive line will take us.  Our defense is top notch again.  We may be a little undersized up front but what we may lack in size we make up for in quickness.  #95 Aaron Thomspon is a beast at DE and our sophomore NG, #94 Josh Valentine will get a push and will eat blocks every play. He is going to be a heckuva player.  Our LB crew is young but solid.  Our DB's are experienced.  We should provide a formidable challenge to your offense. Our defensive coordinator is top notch, we are incredibly lucky to have him back for another season.  I will be shocked if he doesn't move on to a bigger program next year.  He has done a phenomenal job at SBU.

On the other side of the ball, we have probably the best group of skill guys we have ever had.  Our RBs should be very good.  #21 Stacey Bedell ran all over Central CT and New Hampshire in our first two games last year before suffering a season ending injury vs William & Mary.  His loss really set us back last season.  He returns in top health.  Added to the backfield this year is #23 Jordan Gowins.  He is a local kid who was a standout high school RB on Long Island who played at Boston College last year and transferred to SB over the summer.  We love the homegrown local kids and have high expectations for him.

We have a ton of talent on the outside at WR as well.  #13 Ray Bolden was a 1st team all CAA receiver last year. He had 100 yd receiving games vs both New Hampshire and James Madison last year.  #1 Tim Keith came to us from Western Michigan last year and injured his knee during camp and never saw game action.  He is solid.  We also added a couple of transfers at the position this offseason including #3, Sherman Alston, a short but speedy receiver who also should provide production to our return game.  Also added to the mix this year is 6'2" WR #83 Harrison Jackson, another FBS transfer.  He has had an excellent camp.

At TE we have 4 guys who are big, fast and strong.  All have starting experience.  #88 was our starting RT last year.  I expect that we will buttress our run game and pass pro blocking on the right with TE help. #45 Cal Daniels and #88 Connor Davis are also legit receiving threats.

We have a new OC this year who will be calling the plays.  HC Priore has handled the play calling in the past and typically called a run - play action type of offense, frequently with 2 TE on the field.  Look for more spread formation stuff and quick passing given the talent we have outside, although if we can establish a run game I suspect we will do so with our big TE's adding to the front line push.

The determining factor for the Seawolves this year will be the play of our QB.  After redshirting in 2014, we gave freshman QB #10 Joe Carbone some starts last season.  There were the usual painful learning curve experiences you would expect.  He is athletic, tough and has a strong arm but did not have the greatest accuracy and made a # of questionable decisions/throws.  Hopefully, the experience was helpful to him.  The job is his this year.  If he can minimize mistakes, we could have a much more productive offense than we have had the past two seasons.  Unfortunately, however, we are once again struggling up front.  Contrary to the other Seawolves poster I saw here, I would say we are working to find our way at OL, especially on the right side, and we again lack depth, which was a problem for us last year as well (hence one of our TEs having to play RT last season).  Our LT #71 and our C #55 are both entering their junior years with 2 years of starting experience each under their belts.  They are solid.  We are a work in progress at the other positions.  Their play, and in particular their ability to provide pass pro for our QB, will be key.

I expect us to surprise folks this season. I am not as down on our QB as some of the other Seawolves fans.  Given that it is a home opener for us, under the lights, vs a big time nationally ranked opponent, I expect our guys to rise to the occasion.  I look for SBU to pull off the upset 20-17.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BobLobLaw said:

Good morning from Seawolves country.  Looking forward to a great game next Thursday.

Let me give you my take on the 2016 Seawolves.  In short, we will go as far as our QB and the right side of our offensive line will take us.  Our defense is top notch again.  We may be a little undersized up front but what we may lack in size we make up for in quickness.  #95 Aaron Thomspon is a beast at DE and our sophomore NG, #94 Josh Valentine will get a push and will eat blocks every play. He is going to be a heckuva player.  Our LB crew is young but solid.  Our DB's are experienced.  We should provide a formidable challenge to your offense. Our defensive coordinator is top notch, we are incredibly lucky to have him back for another season.  I will be shocked if he doesn't move on to a bigger program next year.  He has done a phenomenal job at SBU.

On the other side of the ball, we have probably the best group of skill guys we have ever had.  Our RBs should be very good.  #21 Stacey Bedell ran all over Central CT and New Hampshire in our first two games last year before suffering a season ending injury vs William & Mary.  His loss really set us back last season.  He returns in top health.  Added to the backfield this year is #23 Jordan Gowins.  He is a local kid who was a standout high school RB on Long Island who played at Boston College last year and transferred to SB over the summer.  We love the homegrown local kids and have high expectations for him.

We have a ton of talent on the outside at WR as well.  #13 Ray Bolden was a 1st team all CAA receiver last year. He had 100 yd receiving games vs both New Hampshire and James Madison last year.  #1 Tim Keith came to us from Western Michigan last year and injured his knee during camp and never saw game action.  He is solid.  We also added a couple of transfers at the position this offseason including #3, Sherman Alston, a short but speedy receiver who also should provide production to our return game.  Also added to the mix this year is 6'2" WR #83 Harrison Jackson, another FBS transfer.  He has had an excellent camp.

At TE we have 4 guys who are big, fast and strong.  All have starting experience.  #88 was our starting RT last year.  I expect that we will buttress our run game and pass pro blocking on the right with TE help. #45 Cal Daniels and #88 Connor Davis are also legit receiving threats.

We have a new OC this year who will be calling the plays.  HC Priore has handled the play calling in the past and typically called a run - play action type of offense, frequently with 2 TE on the field.  Look for more spread formation stuff and quick passing given the talent we have outside, although if we can establish a run game I suspect we will do so with our big TE's adding to the front line push.

The determining factor for the Seawolves this year will be the play of our QB.  After redshirting in 2014, we gave freshman QB #10 Joe Carbone some starts last season.  There were the usual painful learning curve experiences you would expect.  He is athletic, tough and has a strong arm but did not have the greatest accuracy and made a # of questionable decisions/throws.  Hopefully, the experience was helpful to him.  The job is his this year.  If he can minimize mistakes, we could have a much more productive offense than we have had the past two seasons.  Unfortunately, however, we are once again struggling up front.  Contrary to the other Seawolves poster I saw here, I would say we are working to find our way at OL, especially on the right side, and we again lack depth, which was a problem for us last year as well (hence one of our TEs having to play RT last season).  Our LT #71 and our C #55 are both entering their junior years with 2 years of starting experience each under their belts.  They are solid.  We are a work in progress at the other positions.  Their play, and in particular their ability to provide pass pro for our QB, will be key.

I expect us to surprise folks this season. I am not as down on our QB as some of the other Seawolves fans.  Given that it is a home opener for us, under the lights, vs a big time nationally ranked opponent, I expect our guys to rise to the occasion.  I look for SBU to pull off the upset 20-17.

Your teams' chance to move the ball will come through the air. Running won't be much of an option because our front 7 is veteran and stout. Our defensive question mark is at CB. There are talented guys there but they are still very young and haven't quite put it all together yet. 

If we can run the ball we will control the game and I don't see us losing.  If we need to pass the ball effectively to open up the run like last time we played this could become a very interesting game. I think it will be a very competitive game regardless of who wins. I'm really looking forward to it. 

Appreciate the insight from some Stony fans.  Fun to hear their side. 

Im expecting a very physical game,  these are the kinds of games I love!!!  Old style smash mouth, who's the baddest ass team on the field kind of game.

However,  if stony is able to pass effectually, this game could turn out to a little higher scoring game then originally thought.  Just don't see it happening though.  They mentioned they have some nice talent at the wr position but have question marks at qb.  If they get away from the run game and start passing we will need the front seven to get pressure.  I think this is where our speed on the ends will come into play.  Jawon, jake, bennett, dranka and noah could collectively be the games MVPs.  They will be on their qb like flies on sh@#!  Those guys have an incredible first step and are extremely fast around the corner! Bubbas d is very aggressive and I wound have to think he feels very confident with the experience and talent he has up front on d.  "Pin their ears back"

Sticking with my prediction (17-13) as were playing on the road against a very good team.  I unfortunately expect a lot of mistakes on both sides. 

Wish it was September 1st!!  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is your offense the same system as when you guys came here two seasons ago? Also, who are your studs. Like a top 5 offense and defense.  

Is there a Stony Brook fan forum?

I think my compatriot BobLaLaw gave a pretty good run down of our key players.

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Any athletes on the team that compare to former Seawolf Will Tye? Not every day you see a tight end returning punts. That guy was a dude.

We do not have a Will Tye on our roster this year. He is now the starting TE for the New York Giants. We do have 6'8" TE Connor Davis who can create some mismatches down the seam.

I, like most everyone, am excited about this year's team and its potential.  However, I hope our optimism isn't too high.  Despite a favorable schedule, there are a lot of teams that could beat us if we make mistakes (penalties/turnovers) including Stony Brook.

My prediction:  UND 24, SB 17

I'll just say that it's Santiago or bust.  If SB doesn't have an answer for him, UND takes it by a large sum.  If Santiago has a "NDSU" type of game....i'd give the win to SB.

When Santiago is stopped, UND folds.  That's my prediction.  It's kind of harsh, and later in the season it would be a different story, but with what he brings to the table that team's tone for the day will be set by #22.

Santiago has a good game ...27-14

Santiago has a bad game ...14-27

3 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

I'll just say that it's Santiago or bust.  If SB doesn't have an answer for him, UND takes it by a large sum.  If Santiago has a "NDSU" type of game....i'd give the win to SB.

When Santiago is stopped, UND folds.  That's my prediction.  It's kind of harsh, and later in the season it would be a different story, but with what he brings to the table that team's tone for the day will be set by #22.

Santiago has a good game ...27-14

Santiago has a bad game ...14-27

So, you're connecting SB to a, at the time, 4-time defending national champion?

Frankly, we should be good enough to beat SB without a huge performance from Santiago. Need to get it done no matter the standout player.

EDIT: Forget what I said first. I misread. However, my second point is the main one. We need to be able to beat SB, regardless of whom has a good day.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you're connecting SB to a, at the time, 4-time defending national champion?

Frankly, we should be good enough to beat SB without a huge performance from Santiago. Need to get it done no matter the standout player.

My point is that if that kid is stopped, we have issues.  This o-line is unproven at this point...i just think that the performance of the o-line in combination with #22 sets the tone.  But hey, i'm just a fan making a prediction on a board. :)

35 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

My point is that if that kid is stopped, we have issues.  This o-line is unproven at this point...i just think that the performance of the o-line in combination with #22 sets the tone.  But hey, i'm just a fan making a prediction on a board. :)

That's the common theme and belief amongst many of our fans, and rightfully so.

However, I'm going to predict Studsrud will be MUCH Improved this year...to the point we may all be saying "wow" by midseason if he stays healthy.

Big jump from last year on a passing production and efficiency standpoint from Studsrud I think - because of his development and because of his improved weapons.

Of course that's assuming we protect him well.

15 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

That's the common theme and belief amongst many of our fans, and rightfully so.

However, I'm going to predict Studsrud will be MUCH Improved this year...to the point we may all be saying "wow" by midseason if he stays healthy.

Big jump from last year on a passing production and efficiency standpoint from Studsrud I think - because of his development and because of his improved weapons.

Of course that's assuming we protect him well.

Two words: High Performance Center

• Upvote 1