SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach.

Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach.

"The Cyclones' offense was stuck in neutral for the majority of the season. It finished in the bottom three of the Big 12 in points per game (24.8), yards per game (363), yards per play (4.82), rushing yards (143.83) and passing yards (219.17)."

I quoted you as saying "his resume doesn't blow anyone out of the water", I never heard the man's name until today so I can't speak to his ability to coach, but to say his resume isn't impressive for an FCS coordinator hire would be patently false. 

21 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Well, Messingham still has tons of experience compared to Polasek now. Polasek was only OC for one year, and only at one school.  

Pretty sure Polasek was OC for 3 years in Fargo, giving him 3 years at the FCS level. Regardless, I'm not sure how excited I'd be about trading Polasek's WI ties for a guy who didn't bring in a single recruit from his main recruiting area the last two classes. Glad you can be excited about it and I'm not saying his resume is bad, I'm saying calling it a grand slam is a huge stretch. I'm sure their will be people calling for his head after the second game of the season, because lets be honest, they could pick someone out of the tailgating lot to come up with the offensive game plan against MVSU.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I quoted you as saying "his resume doesn't blow anyone out of the water", I never heard the man's name until today so I can't speak to his ability to coach, but to say his resume isn't impressive for an FCS coordinator hire would be patently false. 

Repeat "Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach." and with that, fired.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Repeat "Just because you were a coach at the FBS level doesn't mean you were a good coach." and with that, fired.

Repeat: I never said a word about him as a coach, never heard of him until this morning. I said his resume is about as impressive as an FCS coordinator hire can get. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any FCS coordinators that once held the same position at a P5 school.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Repeat: I never said a word about him as a coach, never heard of him until this morning. I said his resume is about as impressive as an FCS coordinator hire can get. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any FCS coordinators that once held the same position at a P5 school.

What in heaven's name?  Hope all that made you feel better.  

He is sliding: Iowa State, then down to Montana State, then down to NDSU.

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

What in heaven's name?  Hope all that made you feel better.  

He is sliding: Iowa State, then down to Montana State, then down to NDSU.

Made me feel better? Learn to follow along and this all won't be so confusing to you.

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU's offense has never done anything exceptional; however, what they do they do exceptionally well*. Guys do not miss blocks; backs hit the holes on time; routes are run correctly; the QB just has to be efficient (and anything more makes the precision lethal). When you watch them closely, they have maybe four run block schemes, six primary pass routes. They just do them, as I said, exceptionally well so it is hard to defend them. 

If NDSU stays with that formula, well, meet the new OC, same as the old OC. If the new OC thinks he's going to bring in something "kinda cool kinda now kinda hip kinda wow" he (and Klieman) better be ready for some tough, ugly criticism if it doesn't fire on all cylinders immediately. 

*I consider that a great compliment. 

This is spot on for the most part. I think one thing NDSU needs to do better is push the hall down the field. Carson Wentz could do that with average-to-good receivers in Urzendowski, Shepard, and Vraa, but that's a once in a lifetime thing. James Madison played single high safety all day and dared us to beat them and we couldn't. I'm hopeful Messingham might tweak a few things there. 

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

This is spot on for the most part. I think one thing NDSU needs to do better is push the hall down the field. Carson Wentz could do that with average-to-good receivers in Urzendowski, Shepard, and Vraa, but that's a once in a lifetime thing. James Madison played single high safety all day and dared us to beat them and we couldn't. I'm hopeful Messingham might tweak a few things there. 

We need some WR with size and speed. I dont understand why we struggle in finding that talent. If we cant find receivers who can get separation we need to utilize our TE and RB out of the back field of which we do neither.

9 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Tweaking ain't enough when the talent pool is slipping! And now coaches leaving added to the equation. Going to be a different landscape when we C U in the Hawk's Nest in 2020.

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Tweaking ain't enough when the talent pool is slipping! And now coaches leaving added to the equation. Going to be a different landscape when we C U in the Hawk's Nest in 2020.

What makes you think the talent pool is slipping? I've been following NDSU recruiting since the late 90's and the caliber of athlete they are recruiting in the last 5 years is on par with the athletes they recruited the 5 years before that which lead to 5 NC's in a row. As with all teams it'll be about bringing them together as a group. If NDSU football slips in any way in the coming years it certainly won't be because they don't have good enough players.

20 hours ago, Bison06 said:

You make a fair point,and it would be interesting to find out any/all details of his time at ISU, but my point still stands.

It's exceedingly rare for an FCS coordinator to have at any point in his career held the same position at a P5 school. That alone makes his resume quite impressive which is what I was responding to.

Iowa State has had a terrible football program of late, as NDSU itself demonstrated in 2015. I wouldn't put much stock into Iowa State hiring your new OC as Iowa State football is quite good at making mistakes.

Also, UND's defense largely shut down his Montana State offense last fall in Bozeman (15 points scored; 3 FGs, 1 TD). 

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Posting from a neutral stand point, can you explain to me how the talent pool is slipping? Like I've stated before I have ties to both school, have attended games at both schools in multiple sports. I just find it interesting that you say that? Curious your reasoning, is it an issue across the FCS? Or regionally?

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Iowa State has had a terrible football program of late, as NDSU itself demonstrated in 2015. I wouldn't put much stock into Iowa State hiring your new OC as Iowa State football is quite good at making mistakes.

Also, UND's defense largely shut down his Montana State offense last fall in Bozeman (15 points scored; 3 FGs, 1 TD). 

If this was a UND hire you'd be saying exactly what Bison fans are saying. Great to have a coach with such vast and varied experience on the staff and been a coordinator at a P5 school. When it's your school we see what's good about a hire, when it's the other guys school we see what's bad about the hire. And the world goes round and round.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bison73 said:

We need some WR with size and speed. I dont understand why we struggle in finding that talent. If we cant find receivers who can get separation we need to utilize our TE and RB out of the back field of which we do neither.

I have see you guys run the wheel route out of the backfield very effectively. That play can be a killer and it has been in the past for you.

26 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If this was a UND hire you'd be saying exactly what Bison fans are saying. Great to have a coach with such vast and varied experience on the staff and been a coordinator at a P5 school. When it's your school we see what's good about a hire, when it's the other guys school we see what's bad about the hire. And the world goes round and round.

No doubt about the experience part, always a bonus to have a variety of it.  But, we sure as hell wouldn't be calling it a "grand slam" hire.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

No doubt about the experience part, always a bonus to have a variety of it.  But, we sure as hell wouldn't be calling it a "grand slam" hire.  

You mean like when bubba was hired? His experience was less impressive and many still considered the hire a "grand slam". As I said, when it's the home team every decision is viewed for its silver lining. 

Obviously his ties to UND change the equation, but many on this board were optimistic because he had been at UMD and SIU.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

You mean like when bubba was hired? His experience was less impressive and many still considered the hire a "grand slam". As I said, when it's the home team every decision is viewed for its silver lining. 

Obviously his ties to UND change the equation, but many on this board were optimistic because he had been at UMD and SIU.

He was from UND, loves UND, and views it as his dream job.  From that end, with his experience, yes it was a great hire.  Grand Slam, I don't know.  

Messingham is a life-long vagabond with zero ties to NDSU.  He could leave next year and nobody would be surprised.  He has had very little success in his coaching career that I can tell.  His head coaching experience is two years (same school as Rudolph was at) and they were terrible.  Just not seeing why he is so great.  

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

What makes you think the talent pool is slipping? I've been following NDSU recruiting since the late 90's and the caliber of athlete they are recruiting in the last 5 years is on par with the athletes they recruited the 5 years before that which lead to 5 NC's in a row. As with all teams it'll be about bringing them together as a group. If NDSU football slips in any way in the coming years it certainly won't be because they don't have good enough players.

I've been folowing since late 60's.