SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

So it's interesting that bubba is shoring up the defensive backfield, do you all think that might have anything to do with the fact that to win the big sky you'll have to beat EWU? Because if I look at your defensive backfield competing in the MVFC I wouldn't say the need to improve it is nearly as important. This has been my point since the beginning, of it were 3 years from now I doubt UND would be as concerned about shoring up the DB group, they won't find a Cooper Kupp and his crew in the MVFC.

UND won't find a Cooper Kupp and his crew next year, though. He's gone and EWU isn't just reloading that type of talent. UND gets EWU in the Alerus in 2017 and UND's run and stop the run plan can certainly beat EWU. 

Again, don't get so caught up in this conference affiliation thing - it won't change what UND does and plans to do. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

This is just how conferences work. Teams build themselves to beat their conference mates. Originally, NDSU built a team that could beat UNI so they could win the conference. They were the stud in conference so it's the way it goes.

I would be willing to bet you any amount of money, that when bubba and staff look at UND's team, they ask themselves what do we need to do to beat EWU, the class of the big sky and then they set out to do it.

Not UND and Bubba - sorry. Minutiae, yes; large-scale changes, no. UND will recruit to their vision irregardless. UND will beat EWU or whoever if they do that.

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND won't find a Cooper Kupp and his crew next year, though. He's gone and EWU isn't just reloading that type of talent. UND gets EWU in the Alerus in 2017 and UND's run and stop the run plan can certainly beat EWU. 

Again, don't get so caught up in this conference affiliation thing - it won't change what UND does and plans to do. 

There was never going to be another (fill in the blank) until there was. EWU will continue to find elite WR in the pacific NW, I think we both know that's true.

Ive sat in on strategic recruiting meetings, trust me when I tell you these are conversations coaches have. It's all about winning the conference. Big 10 teams are building themselves as we speak to beat Michigan and Ohio state, SEC teams are practicing this spring to beat Alabama. Why do you think conferences tend to have teams that are built similarly if they have been conference mates for a long time. If Alabama ran the spread offense, teams would immediately be emphasizing pass rushing DE and lockdown corners in the sec, because alabama is built on the front seven being stout, so is every other sec team. Big 10 football was slow and methodical for the past 15 years, now urban Meyer brings Ohio state the spread and low and behold the rest of the big 10 starts to emphasize speed over power. It's not a mystery man, just look around and you'll see it.

UND has no issue with their defensive line...far from it.  They play nine guys regularly and without a drop off.  The 3-4 that bubba runs will excel in the mvfc.....much more so then the big sky.  Bubba and crew stop the run....period!!  UND held the team to the south to their lowest rush yards, ypc (2.7) and zero rush tds in "15" with a very very young and inexperienced d.   UND will be fine in the mvfc defense wise  

The offense needs to catch up for UND.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Longtime fan said:

UND has no issue with their defensive line...far from it.  They play nine guys regularly and without a drop off.  The 3-4 that bubba runs will excel in the mvfc.....much more so then the big sky.  Bubba and crew stop the run....period!!  UND held the team to the south to their lowest rush yards, ypc (2.7) and zero rush tds in "15" with a very very young and inexperienced d.   UND will be fine in the mvfc defense wise  

The offense needs to catch up for UND to be able to compete in any conference.  

Yes UND has stopped the run, but the pass defense was so bad that it was easy for teams to just stop running the ball at some point and beat you through the air.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

There was never going to be another (fill in the blank) until there was. EWU will continue to find elite WR in the pacific NW, I think we both know that's true.

Ive sat in on strategic recruiting meetings, trust me when I tell you these are conversations coaches have. It's all about winning the conference. Big 10 teams are building themselves as we speak to beat Michigan and Ohio state, SEC teams are practicing this spring to beat Alabama. Why do you think conferences tend to have teams that are built similarly if they have been conference mates for a long time. If Alabama ran the spread offense, teams would immediately be emphasizing pass rushing DE and lockdown corners in the sec, because alabama is built on the front seven being stout, so is every other sec team. Big 10 football was slow and methodical for the past 15 years, now urban Meyer brings Ohio state the spread and low and behold the rest of the big 10 starts to emphasize speed over power. It's not a mystery man, just look around and you'll see it.

You're correct and I understand that. My point is simply that UND believes they can win the Big Sky Conference by doing what they've been doing; in fact, they just won the conference. Run the ball, stop the run, and play good special teams. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Longtime fan said:

The mvfc is not known as a passing league, just that you guys had the #2 overall draft pick at qb.  

It's not known as a passing league but that doesn't mean teams can't pass well. You just won't need the depth at corner and safety in the MVFC that you need in the big sky.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Yes UND has stopped the run, but the pass defense was so bad that it was easy for teams to just stop running the ball at some point and beat you through the air.

Throwing at true freshmen.  Hopefully, that won't be the case much longer.  

How many teams have the ability or mindset to do that in the MVFC?  

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You're correct and I understand that. My point is simply that UND believes they can win the Big Sky Conference by doing what they've been doing. Run the ball, stop the run, and play good special teams. 

That's understandable and I agree to a point, though I believe that EWU would have been a real problem for UND last year had they met up.

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

That's understandable and I agree to a point, though I believe that EWU would have been a real problem for UND last year had they met up.

That's all hypothetical now. But yes, UND likely prefers the 2017 matchup over that hypoethcial 2016 matchup with Kupp on the field and Baldwin on the sideline. 

Love how this thread is going.  "we won the conference so we've arrived"  seems to be the main thought of UND posters.  Fact is EWU was the class of the conference and that was it.  Weakest the BSC has ever been.  Don't believe it, when's the last time MSU and UM were as bad as they were last year?  Playoff's showed the strength also.  Your D is setup as a high risk high reward stop the run.  Your backfield is put on a island and when you play against a good qb they are exposed.  When you guys finally beat a really good team then you can say we're there.  Your first 3 games will be interesting. 

• Downvote 4

13 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Love how this thread is going.  "we won the conference so we've arrived"  seems to be the main thought of UND posters.  Fact is EWU was the class of the conference and that was it.  Weakest the BSC has ever been.  Don't believe it, when's the last time MSU and UM were as bad as they were last year?  Playoff's showed the strength also.  Your D is setup as a high risk high reward stop the run.  Your backfield is put on a island and when you play against a good qb they are exposed.  When you guys finally beat a really good team then you can say we're there.  Your first 3 games will be interesting. 

58a5e5eede360_ObjectsinMirror.jpg.06b38b2c6c73f445fe0f8126546a16e1.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, homer said:

Competed fine against USD last season and they competed fine this season in the MVFC.  We have a couple years to continue to build the oline.  That was due more to lack of talent/depth left by previous staff.  I think we will be fine.  

You think 7th place with a 3-5 record is doing fine?

4 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

You think 7th place with a 3-5 record is doing fine?

Competed.  See the word "competed".  We didn't play anybody better than them so that is the only reference point.  USD competed just fine with all your top end teams.  They just need to learn how to win.

• Upvote 1