SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA On Campus Playoffs

petey23

4 hours ago, squirtcoach said:

I think it is just fine for NBA, but is just not up to NCHC standards.:cool:

Exactly.... Time to dump the dump that is the Target Center. This past March, after the first night of hockey, I remember standing at the top of the steps from the press box. I was kind of taking it all in. And I thought to myself,  yuck! What a dirty, grungy worn out arena. Some paint would probably help, too. Why would anyone want to play basketball in this dump? No wonder the Timberwolves suck. Walking around the arena, they didn't replace lights that were burned out. They didn't fix dings on the wall when someone took a chunk out of the wall.  

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, and those are it's good features.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2016 at 3:46 PM, squirtcoach said:

The trib is reporting that the Little 6.1 is going the same way.  The X will have no college hockey starting 2018.

I'd be willing to bet the NCHC will be moving back over to the X as soon as they can.

• Upvote 4

My guess is that NCHC will goto the X eventually, but I wouldn't rule out the NCHC following suit with the bigten and WCHA and return to campus sites. Especially considering that Most of the NCHC campus venus are among the best in college hockey. I think that the WCHA really made the right move, its a smaller leauge now but its moving in the right direction. As for the the BIGTen half of me wants to say "screw'em I hope they stay the worst leauge in college hockey" and part of me hopes they can become decent.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

My guess is that NCHC will goto the X eventually, but I wouldn't rule out the NCHC following suit with the bigten and WCHA and return to campus sites.

I would guess that's not going to happen.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I would guess that's not going to happen.

UND missing the Frozen Faceoff a time or two, sure would make it a possibility, although that is probably why they have that reserve fund set up.  Part of me wishes the Target Center wouldn't be making some of the improvements they are this coming year, because the NCHC could say they are in breach of the contract in which they said all of those improvements would be coming before the NCHC signed the agreement.  Hopefully they don't buy into anything the Target Center tries to sell them going forward, as the NCHC should know that many UND fans have already stated they wouldn't attend at the Target Center anymore.  Don't think I ever heard anyone say that about the "X".

• Upvote 3

Just now, tnt said:

UND missing the Frozen Faceoff a time or two, sure would make it a possibility, although that is probably why they have that reserve fund set up.  Part of me wishes the Target Center wouldn't be making some of the improvements they are this coming year, because the NCHC could say they are in breach of the contract in which they said all of those improvements would be coming before the NCHC signed the agreement.  Hopefully they don't buy into anything the Target Center tries to sell them going forward, as the NCHC should know that many UND fans have already stated they wouldn't attend at the Target Center anymore.  Don't think I ever heard anyone say that about the "X".

More reason to move the tourney to the Xcel Center. Most of the improvements are still a year away.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goon said:

More reason to move the tourney to the Xcel Center. Most of the improvements are still a year away.

I think the huge new scoreboard and a few more minor things are supposed to be done by the next time the tourney is there. 

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I think the huge new scoreboard and a few more minor things are supposed to be done by the next time the tourney is there. 

I am more concerned about the ice conditions, which aren't even close to the Xcel Energy Center's ice.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I am more concerned about the ice conditions, which aren't even close to the Xcel Energy Center's ice.

Supposedly, in conjuction with the city of Minneapolis, theyre going to put in a new ice cooling thingy which should help ice conditions. Dont know when that is supposed to be done though.

But even with the renovations, and having been to one tournament at both the X and the Target Center, I can't imagine that it will ever surpass the X as a hockey facility. Therefore if a favorable opportunity to move the NCHC Frozen Faceoff to the X, they need to do it.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Yeah, I would use that as an angle to get out of the contract.  The NCHC could simply say that the ice has been unsatisfactory as it pertains to the safety of our players, and the conditions make it less than ideal to display the talents of the top-end talent of the league.  Probably wouldn't get far, but in general I think the Target Center hasn't met much of what they said they would do when the contract was signed.  

Is there any need to worry about the fact that the Target Center might be a much less expensive facility for the NCHC to host the site at?   I mean in terms of how much profit the arena takes from the proceeds or how the contract is set up.  What is the TC is financially more favorable for some reason and they don't want to move back?

It's just a guess but thought does scare me.  I've heard the TC charges much less to host concerts than the X and that smaller bands prefer the TC as they are make more $$ there.

2 hours ago, focker said:

Is there any need to worry about the fact that the Target Center might be a much less expensive facility for the NCHC to host the site at?   I mean in terms of how much profit the arena takes from the proceeds or how the contract is set up.  What is the TC is financially more favorable for some reason and they don't want to move back?

It's just a guess but thought does scare me.  I've heard the TC charges much less to host concerts than the X and that smaller bands prefer the TC as they are make more $$ there.

Definitely something to consider.  Also there are several Minneapolis-based league sponsors.  Don't know what they pay/offer up, but those could have value throughout the season and not just on a weekend.  No reason for the league to throw itself at the X, that facility made a choice on which events to take, and in hindsight they chose poorly.  If they make an offer to the league that makes sense financially, and will help grow the event and the leagues coffers and improve the current situation, great.  But if not, while not perfect the Target Center is a more than viable host for the Frozen Faceoff.  And if there continues to be improvements made at that facility and work with league, I think they will stay. 

I would love to see the NCHC should work with Target Center to do College Hockey Challenge type event, with all eight school playing teams from another conference.  Have games at 11, 2, 5, and 8 on Friday and Saturday and make it a big deal each season.  You could rotate the opposing conference, but probably play WCHA schools every other year, with the eastern leagues and the Big 10 in the alternating seasons.  It would be great for the fans and good for pairwise in creating more cross pollination in scheduling.  Would also be another chance for the Target Center to work on its hockey operations and all the teams another game during the season to get used to the venue prior to the Frozen Faceoff.

It is my understanding that next year is the 4th year of a 5 year contract.  Whereas NCHC would have to void the contract for cause to leave for the X in 2018, the NCHC would be free to negotiate with any facility for the 2019 tournament.  Patience in this case might be a virtue.

I would guess the fee for the Xcel is hefty.  Keep in mind they have to host girls hockey state, boys hockey state, wrestling???, and Wild games.  I'm sure the X and the Wild would love to be able to have option of Wild games on a weekend of St. Patty's Day.

On May 18, 2016 at 1:21 PM, SJHovey said:

I wouldn't exactly describe attendance at the NCHC tournament as "great."  It's "not pathetic," certainly, and not at that stage where social media commentators are going to mock it with photos and the like.  But let's be candid, it's smaller than attendance at an average UND home game, and the NCHC has dodged major bullets thus far as a result of UND's presence at the event.

Attendance for the afternoon game this year was pretty good and almost as many as a home game. Just think if UND would get to play in a night game for once? Attendance would be way higher than 11k. The odds UND makes it every year is very high. Home sites would ruin the tourney and attendance would be lower because frankly no one has the same level of attendance as UND . 

• Upvote 1

We need to drop the target center while we have a chance. The x is a real hockey arena with good ice, boards, and site lines. The premier college league tourney deserves a much nicer venue. I don't see how we wouldn't find new major sponsors and we know St. Paul would take us anyday. I guarentee we will see the NCHC make a move after 2018.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, KoolGuy2K said:

Imagine if Miami, Western Michigan, CC, and Denver made it. 

Isn't it like 14 or 15 years or something like that or am I thinking NCAA tourney?  Oops, wrong post.  I was responding to Cratter asking how long since UND missed a post season conference tourney.

Edited by GDPritch
posted wrong post when I responded to a question

38 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I like how this article said the NCHC struggles to put butts in the seats, then two sentences later says the NCHC's attendance improved. Poor writing by the B1G. 

Second best attendance is the nation for a new conference is hardly "struggling."

• Upvote 1