SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Volleyball season

dmksioux

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NAU wins.  But they still have a tough road trip to Pocatello and Ogden, before they get UND in Flagstaff.

So UND would host the BSC tournament if they are ahead of UNC and NAU?

Yes. Best overall regular season record hosts the postseason. Simplist way for UND to do that is to win all remaining games, and it won't matter what any other team does. 

NDSU swept USD in Fargo the other night.  Why is that Significant?  USD and Denver have been the only decent teams in the Slummit this year, plus USD beat UND rather handily earlier.  Since UND swept NDSU last week, the comparison with USD becomes much more favorable now.  Appears UND is becoming stronger as the season progresses.  Merseli and Fraase have become recent BSC defensive players of the week, with Merseli, Brueggeman and  Kaczorowska have really stepped up their outside hitting, and with Griffin, Dooley, and Moser being their unusual stellar contributors, this team should be on to the NCAA'S.  With Moser the only senior, next years team should be the most powerful team ever at UND.  

Enjoy the shows this Thursday and Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Wouldn't it look better for UND if usd had won that game?  Losing to ndsu is a bad loss for usd, which makes und's loss to usd look pretty bad. 

If UND had played NDSU earlier, we might have lost.  If a team is improving faster than others over a season, wins should come easier.  That is what is happening.  By comparison against a team at the same venue, UND should overpower USD now.  Volleyball is more predictable based on power ratings than most sports.

In the FSN broadcast, sounded like Pryor was going to recruit Serbia hard now, after being exposed to the play of Merseli and Tepavac and now he has connections and Serbians that can now vouch for UND.  He likes their aggressive style of play in that part of Europe.  Merseli is just an all around beast out there on both the D and O.

Hope the team can take care of business against a desperate Idaho team looking to stay alive for a Big Sky tournament berth. Lots of big matchups on Saturday with NAU/ISU, PSU/SAC, and UNC/EWU.  With 5 teams within two games of each other at the top of the standings, could be the big moving day for one or two of these teams one way or another.

Dream scenario would be UND,ISU,PSU,EWU wins on Saturday

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Hope the team can take care of business against a desperate Idaho team looking to stay alive for a Big Sky tournament berth. Lots of big matchups on Saturday with NAU/ISU, PSU/SAC, and UNC/EWU.  With 5 teams within two games of each other at the top of the standings, could be the big moving day for one or two of these teams one way or another.

Dream scenario would be UND,ISU,PSU,EWU wins on Saturday

Even if ISU beats NAU on Saturday, the conference title will still hinge on the UND/NAU matchup next week.  The only way UND can lose a game and still be conference champs is if the game isn't to NAU.  Of course, the simplest (though maybe not the easiest) way to get that title home would be to win the remaining 3 games.  Like the guys on the football forum say: "Just win, baby!"

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Even if ISU beats NAU on Saturday, the conference title will still hinge on the UND/NAU matchup next week.  The only way UND can lose a game and still be conference champs is if the game isn't to NAU.  Of course, the simplest (though maybe not the easiest) way to get that title home would be to win the remaining 3 games.  Like the guys on the football forum say: "Just win, baby!"

No disagreement with anything you stated. Win out and you are hosting at the Betty.  It won't really change the conference title matchup vs NAU but they would have at least a 2 game lead over everyone else on that list. Some comfortable separation from some of these teams would be nice.  I guess even if NAU beat ISU it helps because then they won't be able to jump UND in the seeding if UND managed to win 1 more game in the next 3 (god I wish we had closed that one out.....)

Its been an pretty good year 20+ wins again and in the hunt for division and conference titles and hopefully an NCAA bid.  But I can't help to think about next year already and how good that team could end up being if they all stay together of course.

But first thing is first, take care of a desperate Idaho team and go from there.

So the last volleyball game of the year which could clinch the conference champion and the  home site for the post season tournament is at 11:00 ,  right before the football game at 1:00..    Not great scheduling.  It will definitely affect how many people are at the volleyball game. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Dagger said:

So the last volleyball game of the year which could clinch the conference champion and the  home site for the post season tournament is at 11:00 ,  right before the football game at 1:00..    Not great scheduling.  It will definitely affect how many people are at the volleyball game. 

I agree but I don't know what else they could do. Need to play on saturday and can't have the vb game after the foot ball game as there is hockey at night. At least it's an 11 and not a 12 start like on homecoming. We plan to go to the vb game and then head over to fb when it's over. Hoping for a win in 3 but fully expecting to miss the start of fb.

2 hours ago, Stromer said:

I agree but I don't know what else they could do. Need to play on saturday and can't have the vb game after the foot ball game as there is hockey at night. At least it's an 11 and not a 12 start like on homecoming. We plan to go to the vb game and then head over to fb when it's over. Hoping for a win in 3 but fully expecting to miss the start of fb.

vb at 12noon....fb at 4...hockey at 8...aint that hard.

I believe the television window that UND is allowed for its football tv broadcasts really squeezes UND as to when they can actually schedule the FB game(if they want to be able to have it on tv)   So this may be a little bit of a Big Sky issue and the limitations that the Root Sports contract puts on its schools that have their own tv arrangements.  The way I see it is that most of the schools in the Big Sky are ok with Root, but for North Dakota it really only appears to hamper them primarily

My understanding is Pryor prefers the early starts even on football weekends whether hockey is happening or not.  I suppose a bit of an advantage like football gets, but seems more fans would show if at night (when no hockey).

Last year it seemed the Big Sky conveniently scheduled home volleyball every weekend we also had home football.  Hasn't seemed as bad this year..