SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Update on the non-conference record of Big Ten schools, it currently stands at 32-17-8 (.632). The NCHC, by comparison, having had all in-conference matchups this weekend is still at 27-14-7 (.635). While .635 is slightly better than .632, those numbers must be too close for comfort for those of you who enjoy spewing obnoxious rants about how the NCHC is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the Big Ten. It is now becoming more and more clear that the "Big Ten sucks" theory is blatantly false. The conference had a down year in 2015-16, even I can admit that, but those of you who believe it is the equivalent of Atlantic Hockey can now wipe the egg off your faces. Your were wrong, it is as simple as that.

What are the OOC records for both the NCHC and the B10 since the realignment?
That would be a better indication of which is the stronger league rather than comparing numbers for 1.5 months of the current season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

I'm sorry, were you not paying attention to the part where I said even I can admit the Big Ten was down last year? In a sample size as small as three years and 1.5 months into a third, one uncharacteristically bad season is going to skew things to unrealistic proportions. Instead of clinging to what happened last year, let's focus on what is happening this year. With conference play about to get started in the Big Ten, the fact of the matter is that most of those teams have already played the majority of non-conference opponents they'll see all year. I realize this is going to make some people's heads explode around here, but whether you like or not the Big Ten has already set itself up to be in very good position for the Pairwise rankings come next spring. :p

I'm not clinging to what happened last year (other than the sweet Natty) and I don't dislike the B10.
I merely stated that the combined OOC records since 13/14 may be more relevant that the 1.5 month span of this season for determining "strength" of league.
And I agree that the sample size since 13/14 is small, but it's certainly a much larger sample size than just this year.

Regardless, I was just curious...not looking to downplay what either league has done so far this year.  Penn State has certainly started strong and looks to potentially challenge for the title this year.

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

They have only one set of Haviland's recruits, I'm sure Haviland is a good coach, just don't have the players he needs yet. Does CC made a trip to Denver and hand Gwoz a big giant check? I'd like to see Gwoz there. CC needs to get back to winning and making the NCAA's like Michigan Tech, I'd like to see those two teams win another National Title.

That is true but at the same time there doesn't yet appear to be any consistent level of improvement. Gwoz's name was thrown around by fans a few years ago but even Gwoz himself publicly said he wasn't interested-probably out of deference to his friend Scott Owens. I personally would've LOVED to get a guy like Gwoz. I also was hoping Carey Eades' name would've come up as a serious candidate but not sure whether or not he even threw his name in the hat. Why Eades isn't coaching a D-1 program as of yet is a great mystery to me. 

4 hours ago, DaveK said:

Okay, fair enough. Seems the majority of people here are blinded to reality by their irrational hatred and grudge that they hold against the Big Ten. You now seem much more rational, which you deserve credit for. You're right about how we're not all that deep into the new season, but like I said the Big Ten teams are getting ready to start conference play very soon. That means there won't be many more non-conference games played from here on out. No matter what happens the rest of the way, the Big Ten has already set itself up to be in a very good spot in terms of Pairwise rankings. Five of the six teams look like potential contenders to make the field of 16. Over the course of the season they will all beat each other up in conference play, which should knock a couple of them down far enough to where they get left out. At the end of the day I am expecting to see three Big Ten teams in the field of 16. Not Michigan State, but any three of the other five are very possible. As for the NCHC, I think they will get four (Denver, Duluth, UND, and SCSU). While four is one more than three, it is half of eight while three is half of six. Yes, I am saying each of those two conferences will send exactly half of their teams to the NCAA tournament (and it would be a safe bet that they each send one to the Frozen Four). All things considered, both conferences have some very good teams at the top.

I hate the little6, I also hold a grudge for them ruining the best league, the best rivalry, and the best league tournament in the history of college hockey!

I think your claim about the little6 having "3 very good teams" is a little premature.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I hate the little6, I also hold a grudge for them ruining the best league, the best rivalry, and the best league tournament in the history of college hockey!

I think your claim about the little6 having "3 very good teams" is a little premature.

I don't hate the B1G--I live in WI, and it's a great BB and FB conference with a great research reputation.  But the hockey is bad.  It will get much better, I'm sure, but it's bad.  I would not want to be a B1G hockey fan.  Some day that might change, but not now. 

1 hour ago, OshieRoll said:

Lets take a little deeper dive into these numbers:

The NCHC is 4-2-2 against the BIG10 and that is the most important record.

The BIG10 has played ten games this year already against the AHA.  The NCHC has played 2.

The BIG10 has played ten games this year already against the EZAC.  The NCHC has played 1.

The BIG10 has played nine games against Hockey East.  The NCHC has played 21.

The BIG10 has played 16 OOC games against teams in the top-20 of the Pairwise (.406 win %).  The NCHC has played 22 (.477 win %).

You take AHA games and EZAC games out of the records and the BIG is 19-14-5 (.566) while the NCHC is 24-14-7 (.611).

The NCHC has played a much tougher OOC schedule so far this year and they still have a better winning percentage.  

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Correction, it was bad last year. This year it is very good. I used to enjoy WCHA hockey, but these last three years I have enjoyed Big Ten hockey so much more. To me it always felt wrong to have the Gophers and Badgers in a different conference than Michigan, MSU, and OSU. I am so grateful to Penn State for starting a D1 hockey program!!! :D

This fargoan kills me.  Most of my Badger hockey friends (and there aren't a ton of Sioux fans in the Mad area) wish B1G hockey had never happened.   But hey, you're from Fargo, not Madison.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Blah blah blah...

The ECAC is very good (you would know that if you had been paying attention to the NCAA hockey tournament in recent years), and no amount of spin cycle by you can change the fact that the Big Ten has already set itself up to be in good shape come next spring for Pairwise rankings.

"Blah blah blah" and "spin cycle" were about as intelligent of a response as I was expecting from you... :silly:

They are better than they used to be no question but one team in the top 16 of the Pairwise doesn't exactly sound like some dominant conference.  Then again you are on here arguing that the BIG is a  good conference so clearly you have a different definition of "good" than the rest of us.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, OshieRoll said:

"Blah blah blah" and "spin cycle" were about as intelligent of a response as I was expecting from you... :silly:

They are better than they used to be no question but one team in the top 16 of the Pairwise doesn't exactly sound like some dominant conference.  Then again you are on here arguing that the BIG is a  good conference so clearly you have a different definition of "good" than the rest of us.

You mean like Standard Definition TVs, VHS tapes, and Chrysler K Cars?:)

11 hours ago, OshieRoll said:

Lets take a little deeper dive into these numbers:

The NCHC is 4-2-2 against the BIG10 and that is the most important record.

The BIG10 has played ten games this year already against the AHA.  The NCHC has played 2.

The BIG10 has played ten games this year already against the EZAC.  The NCHC has played 1.

The BIG10 has played nine games against Hockey East.  The NCHC has played 21.

The BIG10 has played 16 OOC games against teams in the top-20 of the Pairwise (.406 win %).  The NCHC has played 22 (.477 win %).

You take AHA games and EZAC games out of the records and the BIG is 19-14-5 (.566) while the NCHC is 24-14-7 (.611).

The NCHC has played a much tougher OOC schedule so far this year and they still have a better winning percentage.  

The interconference records are what they are but to compare which conference is better you really need to discount the results against AHA to get an accurate picture. That said, it looks like the Big 10 could move from their 4th place spot last year and 5th place spot from 2 years ago into a solid 2nd.

3 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Where did I say the UCSO.com poll is how they pick the tournament? The fact of the matter is that two-thirds of the teams in that conference are currently ranked among the 16 best out of 60 D1 programs.

Then why bring up the top 16? Why not just say the top 20? Western Michigan is 18th, yet them and Omaha are in the top 16 in the PWR and Michigan isn't. Once the B1G tournament comes around the B1G will be looking at 2 teams getting in, Conference games is what will be the problem in the B1G yet again.