SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On 11/4/2016 at 10:14 PM, Godsmack said:

We went to the CC/Omaha game tonight and we were very impressed with Baxter Arena. Nice facility, great sight lines, loud, open air concourse similar to Amsoil Arena. And best of all, CC won! 

We weren't all that impressed.  Very cheap construction in some areas of the concourse.  Lots of plain sheetrock that is going to look shabby in just a couple of years, unless that was just temporary and they have replaced it with something else.  No restrooms on the upper level.

14 minutes ago, Biddco said:

Each week I get more and more impressed with UMD. This weekend at SCSU they gave up the first goal within the first minute and both nights scored 3 goals in third period to win. It's early but they're the favorite to win the Penrose and maybe the national title.

Favorite for both.  Much like last year's team,  but they're putting the puck in the net

On 11/6/2016 at 7:43 AM, Siouxman said:

We weren't all that impressed.  Very cheap construction in some areas of the concourse.  Lots of plain sheetrock that is going to look shabby in just a couple of years, unless that was just temporary and they have replaced it with something else.  No restrooms on the upper level.

Oh we didn't see shoddy workmanship at all. Perhaps they weren't quite finished with everything when UND was there. Sight lines were fantastic and you wouldn't know it seated 7,800 people as the ceiling was nice and low, giving it a very "cozy" feel. Loud too. Fans were awesome in defeat and victory. Free parking for fans too! How often do you see that?!?! And finally, lots of bars and restaurants within short walking distance across the street from the arena. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, Biddco said:

Each week I get more and more impressed with UMD. This weekend at SCSU they gave up the first goal within the first minute and both nights scored 3 goals in third period to win. It's early but they're the favorite to win the Penrose and maybe the national title.

You're absolutely right... it IS early :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Oh we didn't see shoddy workmanship at all. Perhaps they weren't quite finished with everything when UND was there. Sight lines were fantastic and you wouldn't know it seated 7,800 people as the ceiling was nice and low, giving it a very "cozy" feel. Loud too. Fans were awesome in defeat and victory. Free parking for fans too! How often do you see that?!?! And finally, lots of bars and restaurants within short walking distance across the street from the arena. 

The local bars and restaurants with the free parking were great.  We were in the neighborhood both nights before the game.  You may be right in that maybe they weren't done with all of the construction.  We will see this year.  It was a good experience, but I wouldn't call it one of the better arenas in the league.  I like UMD's Amsoil and Miami's arenas better.  But it is preferable to the St. Cloud Concrete Center and Western Michigan's arena. 

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

The local bars and restaurants with the free parking were great.  We were in the neighborhood both nights before the game.  You may be right in that maybe they weren't done with all of the construction.  We will see this year.  It was a good experience, but I wouldn't call it one of the better arenas in the league.  I like UMD's Amsoil and Miami's arenas better.  But it is preferable to the St. Cloud Concrete Center and Western Michigan's arena. 

I loved Amsoil Arena! Like Baxter Arena, I loved the open air concourse. I'm going to Miami in March for the first time and very much looking forward to experiencing games in their barn!

Me, my wife, and two friends road tripped it from Colorado to Omaha. CC forward Westin Michaud walked over to our dinner table after Friday's game to personally thank us for our support. He was a really nice guy and spent some time chatting with us about the team and such. Definitely made the experience that much better for us! 

IMG_1453.JPG

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Me, my wife, and two friends road tripped it from Colorado to Omaha. CC forward Westin Michaud walked over to our dinner table after Friday's game to personally thank us for our support. He was a really nice guy and spent some time chatting with us about the team and such. Definitely made the experience that much better for us! 

IMG_1453.JPG

I've always thought you were the guy in the middle of your sig. pic.:)

Notre Dame beats Northeastern 5-2. Earlier it said Northeastern beat Notre Dame 3-2, not sure why it said that earlier.

Omaha beats Miami 6-2

Duluth leads Western Michigan 2-0

CC and St. Cloud tied 1-1

Michigan Tech beats LSSU 4-2

Mankato and Bemidji tied 1-1

Michigan State beats Ferris State 4-3

ASU beats UNH 5-4 OT

Penn State beats UAA 3-1

Alaska leads UAH 2-1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

St. Cloud beats CC 4-1

After seeing last week's series at Omaha, I sincerely thought CC was starting to turn the corner but this weekend they looked just like the past two seasons. Unfortunately Haviland was hand picked by CC athletic director Ken Ralph so until his job is on the line, we're stuck with him. 

Just now, Godsmack said:

After seeing last week's series at Omaha, I sincerely thought CC was starting to turn the corner but this weekend they looked just like the past two seasons. Unfortunately Haviland was hand picked by CC athletic director Ken Ralph so until his job is on the line, we're stuck with him. 

They have only one set of Haviland's recruits, I'm sure Haviland is a good coach, just don't have the players he needs yet. Does CC made a trip to Denver and hand Gwoz a big giant check? I'd like to see Gwoz there. CC needs to get back to winning and making the NCAA's like Michigan Tech, I'd like to see those two teams win another National Title.

• Upvote 1