SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Quarters: #4 ISU vs #5 UND (3/10: 4:35 Central)

SWSiouxMN

It wasn't pretty, but behind another great Hooker performance lead UND to take the first round game against SUU.  Now they move on to take on ISU for the 3rd time this season. Winner of this game gets the Weber/PSU winner

UND has never lost to ISU since entering the Big Sky, going 7-0. 

This matchup will feature two of the very best in the Big Sky in Telfair and Hooker and should be another battle of the guards.  But UND does have an advantage in the forward and center position and needs to take advantage of it. Need to shake off yesterdays performance and try to recapture some of that play that was with them in late January.

Other Games:

Weber vs PSU 2:35

Montana vs Sac State 7:35

Idaho vs EWU 10:05

The call:

The old adage that is believe by some that it is tough to beat a team 3 times in a season.  How can UND avoid the trap?  Doing what they have been doing against ISU.  Keep the guards from going off, Hooker having a good game and an balanced attack from Drick and Geno.  The first matchup was 84-76 UND and the 2nd was 76-60 UND.   I think the game will lean towards game 1 than game 2 in terms of score... but the results will stay the same

UND 81-73

Other games:

Weber over PSU: They get a scare from PSU, but Weebs has enough to get the job done

Montana over Sac:  They too get a scare, but the Griz make plays done the stretch to pull it out

Idaho over EWU:  Toughest matchup outside of ISU/UND to call, I could see this go either way but Idaho at full health seems to be back to where they were at the beginning of the conference season.  If McBroom goes off to help Jois, then the Ealges might have enough to beat the Vandals. 

• Upvote 1

To add to the intrigue, http://www.bigskybball.com/

This is going to be a fun game. Someone who was at the North Dakota-Southern Utah game told me that Telfair (ISU’s players and coaches were, of course, at the game watching) was openly rooting for Southern Utah. These teams aren’t “rivals,” but there’s no love between the two.

Some really good games tomorrow.  I like our matchup with ISU.  Crandall has to play with composure but also with that chip on his shoulder tomorrow vs. Telfair.

In the other games I wouldn't be surprised if either UM or Weber got beat.  PSU and Sac. St are playing very good basketball right now.  

The EWU and UI game is a toss up to me. 

24 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This is going to be a fun game. Someone who was at the North Dakota-Southern Utah game told me that Telfair (ISU’s players and coaches were, of course, at the game watching) was openly rooting for Southern Utah. These teams aren’t “rivals,” but there’s no love between the two.

The openly rooting for thing is interesting but I'd imagine Telfair and ISU would rather play a team they've beat by an average of 18.5 points in two meetings rather than a team they have lost to by an average of 12 in two meetings. UND held Telfair to 13 points on 5 of 15 shooting, do that again and I think they will be fine.

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Anybody in the know:  why is UND playing so much zone now?  Their zone is really average, to say the least.  Seemed to play much better man-to-man earlier in conference season and it appeared very sound.

They don't rotate real well in zone and SUU killed us with guard penetration.