SiouxSports.com Forum

Overtime

best0186

Does anyone know why the NCHC is doing both a 5 X 5 and a 3 X 3 overtime? Were they just experimenting with the 3 X 3 at this point?  Also, the Sudden death shootout kind of threw me off this weekend.  I guess I hadn't seen all aspects of overtime/shootout yet this season.

I ask because to me it seems that two five minute overtime periods is kind of redundant.  By the time the 3 X 3 started, it seems like both teams were so tired that it appeared they were skating in mud!  The benefit of a 3 X 3 is a lot more open ice and speed.  I didn't notice the speed.

I thought the sudden death shootout was interesting too! I am not a big fan of a shootout in general, and sudden death just made it a bit more awkward!

I guess if they were to change anything I would prefer that they eliminated the 5 X 5 overtime, and did a 3 X 3 overtime instead.  Followed by a standard shootout if they had to keep the shootout.

I don't know if they can do that.  I would guess the NCAA requires an overtime to try get an outcome.  If they did allow it, then I believe they would have to consider it a tie after regulation, because they don't recognize 3 on 3, or any result after the regular overtime. 

My theory is the NCHC is experimenting with the 3x3 because they want to go to it full time in the future (eliminating the 5x5 overtime).  The NCHC makes a pretty good effort to duplicate the rules and the play of the NHL so it is more attractive to NHL recruits to attend NCHC schools.  By bet is the 3x3 OT will be the standard moving forward next year or the year after in the NCHC.

50 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

My theory is the NCHC is experimenting with the 3x3 because they want to go to it full time in the future (eliminating the 5x5 overtime).  The NCHC makes a pretty good effort to duplicate the rules and the play of the NHL so it is more attractive to NHL recruits to attend NCHC schools.  By bet is the 3x3 OT will be the standard moving forward next year or the year after in the NCHC.

Is it heresy to suggest that in a 3-point-per-game system, each team should get a point for a regulation tie and that ANY overtime triumph (5x5, 3x3, SO) should only be for the second point.  I simply don't recall this discussion when the NCHC was born.

My solution: 5 points per game
http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-nchc-needs-to-change.html

Here’s my proposal: 

5 – Win in regulation time
4 – Win in overtime (not sure if single OT of 5x5 or 3x3)
3 – Win in a shootout
2 – Lose a shootout
1 – Lose in overtime
0 – Lose in regulation time

41 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

5 v 5 is the standard and recognized for NCAA points and Pairwise as a win, if I'm not mistaken.  The 3 v 3 is only for conference points, as the game is a tie for all other rankings.

Yup. The NCAA says one 5x5 OT "for the win" or else it's recorded as a tie. Anything beyond that is per league. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yup. The NCAA says one 5x5 OT "for the win" or else it's recorded as a tie. Anything beyond that is per league. 

Ah yess.  That's right.  I am mistaken.  NCHC will keep the 5x5.  I do like the 3x3 format because it lowers the numbers of shootouts that occur.  This was the reasoning for the NHL to change to it.  Whether that was the reason for the NCHC, who knows.  Definitely like it.  

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We've played whist and ended in a tie, so, we're going to play pinochle to declare a winner. Makes as much sense. 

better yet Pinochle to settle Whist tie followed by Indian Poker to settle Pinochle tie...

That's not insensitive is it??

GO SIOUX!!

I am thrilled that UND is part of a league that seeks to align with the NHL.  IF they do 3x3, then I think is good that we do 3x3.  If they have shootouts, then we should.   Whatever best prepares the guys for the next level is fine by me, because it leads to the highest level of competition.

Pinochle, whist, strip poker, whatever ....

All these signals that recruits pick up on ... are a part of why the NCHC is the premier college hockey conference, and I expect that to continue to improve in the coming years.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We've played whist and ended in a tie, so, we're going to play pinochle to declare a winner. Makes as much sense. 

How about a free throw contest at the end of a tie basketball game? Or better yet, a relay race dribbling up and down the court. :)

When I take over for Gary Bettman:

A five minute sudden victory (<-- more PC :D ) overtime followed by a shoot-out (minimum three shooters).

But all games are worth five points by my schedule above. 

You play to win the game ... and if you go to shootout you should be punished for not winning. Part of that punishment is giving points to teams you should've beat. (Think: conference/divisional standings impacts) 

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I am thrilled that UND is part of a league that seeks to align with the NHL.  IF they do 3x3, then I think is good that we do 3x3.  If they have shootouts, then we should.   Whatever best prepares the guys for the next level is fine by me, because it leads to the highest level of competition.

Pinochle, whist, strip poker, whatever ....

All these signals that recruits pick up on ... are a part of why the NCHC is the premier college hockey conference, and I expect that to continue to improve in the coming years.

In the end this is all about dykswinging, so they should just pull them out.  Have each team designate their guy.   They'd have to require that guy to log a minimal amount of ice time, of course--say 3 minutes,   That would open up one roster spot on each team for a regular guy with ordinary hockey skills but a python in his breezers.  Probably be a crowd favorite, and his three minutes on the ice would be entertaining. 

4 hours ago, burd said:

In the end this is all about dykswinging, so they should just pull them out.  Have each team designate their guy.   They'd have to require that guy to log a minimal amount of ice time, of course--say 3 minutes,   That would open up one roster spot on each team for a regular guy with ordinary hockey skills but a python in his breezers.  Probably be a crowd favorite, and his three minutes on the ice would be entertaining. 

I guess ...if that's what you're into. Me? I would rather watch John Scott and 5 of his clones in a shootout version of Groundhog Day.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, burd said:

Wtf?

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My solution: 5 points per game
http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-nchc-needs-to-change.html

Here’s my proposal: 

5 – Win in regulation time
4 – Win in overtime (not sure if single OT of 5x5 or 3x3)
3 – Win in a shootout
2 – Lose a shootout
1 – Lose in overtime
0 – Lose in regulation time

Ugh...how about this?

2 - win in regulation.

2 - win  in OT (5 on 5).

1 - OT tie.

0 - regulation or OT loss.

Seems easy enough.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Ugh...how about this?

2 - win in regulation.

2 - win  in OT (5 on 5).

1 - OT tie.

0 - regulation or OT loss.

Seems easy enough.

Works for me.   3 on 3 is entertaining, but it's not the game they play.