SiouxSports.com Forum

Dreaded Valley City State vs Fighting Hawks

hoops44

i hate playing in these games. go play minnesota or iowa or someone and get another check

Isn't Minnesota or Iowa saying the same thing about playing any "lower level team" (like South Dakota - To Big Ten schools a low major might as well be d2, but yes I understand they are in the same "Division I level")...."Go play Duke or Kansas"?

What's it say when people are "dreading" VCSU?

Edited by Cratter

Isn't Minnesota or Iowa saying the same thing about playing any "lower level team" (like South Dakota - To Big Ten schools a low major might as well be d2, but yes I understand they are in the same "Division I level")...."Go play Duke or Kansas"?

probably not. the big difference between minnesota and UND is minnesota can make more money (or at least a negligible difference) playing a school like south dakota and get a free win out of the deal. this argument doesnt apply this year because they're awful but those wins can boost their ncaa tournament resume and it gets them minutes against a D1 team where they should win but also gets them valuable reps to prep them for the Big 10 season where, again, they can build an ncaa tournament resume.

UND meanwhile doesn't need to build a resume. That is done over the course of 3 days in the conference tournament. Therefore they dont really need to worry about ironing out the kinks yet, as they can do that over the big sky regular season. and a home game against valley city or waldorf isnt going to make anywhere near as much money as what they would get from going to play a team for a check.

• Upvote 1

USD anyone?

This. I have been thinking.  Why are we travelling to Florida to play an early season tourney. Why can't the Athletic Departments get together and do a tournament of the four Dakota schools?  Either alternate host sites every year.  Or better yet, IMO, alternate between Fargo and Sioux Falls every year.  I'm betting Sanford and Scheels could put some good money into this to make it happen. Obviously hosting at their places.  Get a TV deal done, "The Battle for I-29," something to market. I know quite a few people that would attend this. (Maybe this belongs in a new thread, if so, please move it mods)

• Upvote 2

This. I have been thinking.  Why are we travelling to Florida to play an early season tourney. Why can't the Athletic Departments get together and do a tournament of the four Dakota schools?  Either alternate host sites every year.  Or better yet, IMO, alternate between Fargo and Sioux Falls every year.  I'm betting Sanford and Scheels could put some good money into this to make it happen. Obviously hosting at their places.  Get a TV deal done, "The Battle for I-29," something to market. I know quite a few people that would attend this. (Maybe this belongs in a new thread, if so, please move it mods)

A tournament with all the D1 Dakota schools wont happen since 3 of them are in the same conference. Coaches aren't going to want to play a conference game that early in the season or a 3rd time. SDSU (played FGCU last year, Middle Tennessee State this year) and USD ( UNLV last year, FGCU this year) will more than likely be playing annual games at the Pentagon in Sioux Falls during X-Mas break. I don't think either school would want to give up another home game. It's a nice idea, but it just wont happen. 

I would like to have a home and home with UND every year rather than playing a D2 team though. 

• Upvote 1

A tournament with all the D1 Dakota schools wont happen since 3 of them are in the same conference. Coaches aren't going to want to play a conference game that early in the season or a 3rd time. SDSU (played FGCU last year, Middle Tennessee State this year) and USD ( UNLV last year, FGCU this year) will more than likely be playing annual games at the Pentagon in Sioux Falls during X-Mas break. I don't think either school would want to give up another home game. It's a nice idea, but it just wont happen. 

I would like to have a home and home with UND every year rather than playing a D2 team though. 

It does seem odd that UND doesn't do home and home with old NCC foes.  Or at least NDSU with amount of fans both schools bring in for game.

• Upvote 1

Why not have a holiday touney in Fargo?

UND and FU play Minot State/Valley City State/Mary/Dickinson/Mayville in the first round...in rotating years invite any two...the winners face off in the final.

Good incentive for the two D1schools in the state so they have a chance to face each other.  Also, gives the smaller schools something to play for.  Gives a showcase for college buckets in North Dakota. 

Why not have a holiday touney in Fargo?

UND and FU play Minot State/Valley City State/Mary/Dickinson/Mayville in the first round...in rotating years invite any two...the winners face off in the final.

Good incentive for the two D1schools in the state so they have a chance to face each other.  Also, gives the smaller schools something to play for.  Gives a showcase for college buckets in North Dakota. 

i dont get how this helps our program

• Upvote 2

It does seem odd that UND doesn't do home and home with old NCC foes.  Or at least NDSU with amount of fans both schools bring in for game.

I know that SDSU tried to get a home and home with UND, starting this year. When that was turned down,we also tried to pay an absurd amount to get the FH to travel to Brookings this year for one game. Your coach refused both. 

I know that SDSU tried to get a home and home with UND, starting this year. When that was turned down,we also tried to pay an absurd amount to get the FH to travel to Brookings this year for one game. Your coach refused both. 

Assuming you are correct, I am not surprised!

For real? For crying out loud, why not!!! 

Edited by SWSiouxMN

none of this is true. Jacks were due to come to GF this year but Jones wanted to take a 1 year break so that cycle with NDSU and Jacks would be home/away in each season. In other words, wants each year to have an away game at sdsu and home game vs NDSU and vice versa for following years. 

• Upvote 1

none of this is true. Jacks were due to come to GF this year but Jones wanted to take a 1 year break so that cycle with NDSU and Jacks would be home/away in each season. In other words, wants each year to have an away game at sdsu and home game vs NDSU and vice versa for following years. 

That was quite possibly Coach Jones best coaching move in his time at UND. SDSU would have killed UND this year. They should be more competitive with the Jacks next year. They lose two very good guards after this year. I think you can pencil in the Jacks into The Big Dance this tear. 

That was quite possibly Coach Jones best coaching move in his time at UND. SDSU would have killed UND this year. They should be more competitive with the Jacks next year. They lose two very good guards after this year. I think you can pencil in the Jacks into The Big Dance this tear. 

I am guessing you can't be looking forward to playing them twice this year then.

I am guessing you can't be looking forward to playing them twice this year then.

It is always a fun game to go to and I will be there, but no, I am not expecting a win. The one thing NDSU usually does is play good defense, which usually avoids blowouts, but Inwill be surprised if either game is kept in single digits.

8 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Once again facts get in the way of a really good opportunity to rip. 

On December 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM, niouxsiouxfan said:

Here's a little history flash back.  In the mid 60's  Bill Fitch had arranged for holiday  tournaments with Big Ten/MVC schools.  The only problem was that the North Central Conference was about to start its own annual holiday tourney in Sioux Falls.  Every school in the conference was required to participate.  This meant that participation in the D I holiday tournaments had to be cancelled.  This so angered Fitch that he started lobbying for UND to drop out of the NCC and start putting out feelers to the Big Sky, or whatever it was called then, for admission.  Before he could see that project through he resigned to take the hc job at Bowling Green.