SiouxSports.com Forum

UND looks to bounce back vs. Waldorf

hoops44

I don't know if anyone is "upset" by a 20 point win, because they shouldn't be upset at all but let's not make it bigger than it really is.  They beat Waldorf College....like they should've.

If Coach Jones can get his players, and his recruits to buy into what he's selling and make them believe in this program and in one another, then I have no quarrel with him. Teams that play hard for each other, for their school, and for their coaches are always fun to watch. Just hope that when push comes to shove down the stretch, this team has what it takes to be a contender.

• Upvote 1

Took me a minute to figure out why that name was so familiar. Back to back games against former players turned assistant coaches, kind of neat.

Serious question, do you have any actual analysis of the game or just hot takes with no substance?

Well....he does have that Mrs. Jones thing.....and he just added "your brother Brian" tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That escalated quickly..... 

Yes it did, From a 5 point lead with 8 minutes to a 20 point final. The game was closer than the final score would indicate. It doesn't help that they don't have Kory Brown and Jacobson played only 4 minutes in the first half because of fouls. They aren't nearly deep enough to overcome that. When Brian Ishola is playing meaningful minutes in any games much less a game against a godd Big 12 team, you have problems. 

You you guys feel better?  Feel like real experts now. Super clever?  Like you've just inserted some relevance in your life?  I'm hopeful you are all superstars in whatever part of life you may walk. Pathetic creatures many of you. Anonymously taking potshots like a real man. Yea, your boss might be making you eat a $hit sandwich, your wife might be ragging on you about not paying the cable bill or your kid might be flunking a math class but damnit, I am a real shot caller on a fan forum. 

A few here I respect. JDub has good objective game. Most of ya, want nothing more than abject failure. It fills your life up with some kind of bizarre cause. That you matter somehow. You can deny it all you want. I know better. I know your type. Deep down, you want a rifle job against Bradley this weekend or NDSU the following. You could care less the impact it may have on some student-athletes. Why?  Because you want to matter....on a fan forum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

You you guys feel better?  Feel like real experts now. Super clever?  Like you've just inserted some relevance in your life?  I'm hopeful you are all superstars in whatever part of life you may walk. Pathetic creatures many of you. Anonymously taking potshots like a real man. Yea, your boss might be making you eat a $hit sandwich, your wife might be ragging on you about not paying the cable bill or your kid might be flunking a math class but damnit, I am a real shot caller on a fan forum. 

A few here I respect. JDub has good objective game. Most of ya, want nothing more than abject failure. It fills your life up with some kind of bizarre cause. That you matter somehow. You can deny it all you want. I know better. I know your type. Deep down, you want a rifle job against Bradley this weekend or NDSU the following. You could care less the impact it may have on some student-athletes. Why?  Because you want to matter....on a fan forum. 

huh?

Could be wrong but I don't recall hearing from you after the shalacking on Saturday. I just want to be competitive and there is no reason we shouldn't be. Why can't we have a successful basketball program? Because Jones's salary isn't high enough? That doesn't mean he is all of a sudden going to become a better coach. 

Edited by sioux24/7
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Took me a minute to figure out why that name was so familiar. Back to back games against former players turned assistant coaches, kind of neat.

Serious question, do you have any actual analysis of the game or just hot takes with no substance? I mean I get it, terrible first half followed by a very much improved second half but still, even a little deductive reasoning or something would be nice.

Ha. Dude has never played a sport outside of gym class in his life.

Yes it did, From a 5 point lead with 8 minutes to a 20 point final. The game was closer than the final score would indicate. It doesn't help that they don't have Kory Brown and Jacobson played only 4 minutes in the first half because of fouls. They aren't nearly deep enough to overcome that. When Brian Ishola is playing meaningful minutes in any games much less a game against a godd Big 12 team, you have problems. 

From looking at the stats it looks like no one besides AJ could knock down a 3.

I don't know if anyone is "upset" by a 20 point win, because they shouldn't be upset at all but let's not make it bigger than it really is.  They beat Waldorf College....like they should've.

If Coach Jones can get his players, and his recruits to buy into what he's selling and make them believe in this program and in one another, then I have no quarrel with him. Teams that play hard for each other, for their school, and for their coaches are always fun to watch. Just hope that when push comes to shove down the stretch, this team has what it takes to be a contender.

what exactly is coach jones selling? Because im not buying...

Ha. Dude has never played a sport outside of gym class in his life.

Darell1976 is simply speaking the truth about our MBB program. It is mediocre. It struggles against inferior opponents. It gets blown out way too often.

The way I see it, the supporters of Jones and his regime are the ones that have to explain why he should stick around and why everything is fine the way it is. So far, I haven't seen anything that even resembles a clear and coherent answer to that question.

• Upvote 2

You may be happy to know, I took my complaints to where they mattered.  I have emailed the appropriate people, and have been assured the situation will be addressed.

Sorry gfhockey, I didn't know how to contact the gobc. Can't exactly look them up in the phone book, (they still have those right?)

• Upvote 1

Serious question, do you have any actual analysis of the game or just hot takes with no substance? I mean I get it, terrible first half followed by a very much improved second half but still, even a little deductive reasoning or something would be nice.

So you don't think there is a problem when UND has to make an adjustment at the half to beat a D2 NAIA team? That bar must be so low a snail couldn't limbo it. Hey great win over Waldorf, I bet Bradley is shaking right now and look out NDSU we are going to wipe them out. Is that what you want to hear? 

• Upvote 1

when I made that comment UND was down early, I didn't make the comment at the end of the game.

Too busy to comment when things finally started going as they should have?

So you don't think there is a problem when UND has to make an adjustment at the half to beat a D2 NAIA team? That bar must be so low a snail couldn't limbo it. Hey great win over Waldorf, I bet Bradley is shaking right now and look out NDSU we are going to wipe them out. Is that what you want to hear? 

You know that D2 and NAIA aren't the same right? Regardless of competition, I'm glad to see that something significant changed in the second half, aren't you? I could honestly care less what Bradley or NDSU is thinking, I hope they do think UND is terrible and don't bother preparing. UND has a lot of good parts, it is up to the coaching staff to figure out how to get them to work together. The second half last night was at least a step in the right direction, regardless of who the opponent was.

Darell1976 is simply speaking the truth about our MBB program. It is mediocre. It struggles against inferior opponents. It gets blown out way too often.

The way I see it, the supporters of Jones and his regime are the ones that have to explain why he should stick around and why everything is fine the way it is. So far, I haven't seen anything that even resembles a clear and coherent answer to that question.

Outside of one or maybe two posters, I don't think these "supporters" you claim to exist are what they are. I definitely haven't seen anyone say that Jones should get an extension. I'm not even sure that I've seen anyone say that Jones isn't coaching for his job and is in no danger of not finishing out his contract. I don't think there is anyone who won't or hasn't admitted that there is issues that need to be addressed and sooner than later or the season is going to end not well and early (though early struggles aren't a huge surprise considering the scoring that needed to be replaced and that it was being done with young players, again, which falls on the coach and is valid criticism). However, it does get tiresome of seeing a handful of people who seem to get some sick perversion out of the team struggling so they can be "right" and say "I told you so". Criticism is more than fair game and rightfully deserved but when it is nothing but the same old repetitive stuff and knee jerk reactions that provide zero insight on the problem(s), it comes off the wrong way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Outside of one or maybe two posters, I don't think these "supporters" you claim to exist are what they are. I definitely haven't seen anyone say that Jones should get an extension. I'm not even sure that I've seen anyone say that Jones isn't coaching for his job and is in no danger of not finishing out his contract. I don't think there is anyone who won't or hasn't admitted that there is issues that need to be addressed and sooner than later or the season is going to end not well and early (though early struggles aren't a huge surprise considering the scoring that needed to be replaced and that it was being done with young players, again, which falls on the coach and is valid criticism). However, it does get tiresome of seeing a handful of people who seem to get some sick perversion out of the team struggling so they can be "right" and say "I told you so". Criticism is more than fair game and rightfully deserved but when it is nothing but the same old repetitive stuff and knee jerk reactions that provide zero insight on the problem(s), it comes off the wrong way.

What is sick is the same people who like to make excuses to keep this guy coaching and to continue to run the program into the ground. People demand a change because this team is not being coached the way they should and the result is in the wins and losses especially the blowout losses. You can go ahead and think I and others get a thrill over UND losing so we can say we were right. Well you are so wrong. I get upset that this team loses but will always continue to support the players (not Jones) but the players, because they are trying their best, while being coached by someone who has no clue what he is doing. We all saw the same thing with Mussman and he did run that program into the ground including losing to a lesser team (Sioux Falls), which parallel's Jones' loss to Mayville St. (a lesser team). Bubba had to pick up the pieces and butts are starting to come back to the Alerus and the word playoffs have come back to life, do you think the Betty is going to be sold out and playoffs will be talked about when referring to the men's basketball team? People want a change and quick.

• Upvote 1

You know that D2 and NAIA aren't the same right? Regardless of competition, I'm glad to see that something significant changed in the second half, aren't you? I could honestly care less what Bradley or NDSU is thinking, I hope they do think UND is terrible and don't bother preparing. UND has a lot of good parts, it is up to the coaching staff to figure out how to get them to work together. The second half last night was at least a step in the right direction, regardless of who the opponent was.

You do know the announcers said Waldorf plays in DII of the NAIA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIA_Men's_Basketball_Championships#Division_II

Edited by darell1976

I have already said top 4 Big Sky finish or it's time to make a change. I don't care about being young or needing a guy at this spot or that spot. It's Brian's program and has been for 10 years. Part of being a college coach is planning for the future and he has failed miserably in this aspect as it seems every year is back to the drawing board.( will give him credit for riding the Anderson, Huff, Webb class but when you take a shot on 1 class like that it needs to payoff).

That said, what I and a few others it seems, don't care for is a couple of twerps who obviously don't know jack s%it about sports and are probably great at their jobs :silly: that are working hard to come up with "great" 6th grade level zingers like a couple schoolgirls.

By the way, our A.D. is doing his due diligence should the time come to make a move....and it is.

I hope things don't come apart to the point we would have to finish the season with an interim coach but barring a pleasant surprise from Coach Jones and this team I think the writing is on the wall for this being his last season at UND.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1