SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly Predictions

MoSiouxFan

Fighting Hawks   35 (Santiago 200+ yards)

Ponys                 21 Defense hold Ponys under 150 yards rushing.

I think this will be a hard fought slobber knocker that could either way so I won't try to predict the score.  I will predict UND's defense will give up at least double their season average for rushing yards (95 yards per game).  Possibly triple or more.  Prior to playing Cal Poly, Southern Utah was near the top of the Big Sky in rushing defense (128 yards a game).  They gave up 508 yards rushing to Cal Poly.  Prior to playing Cal Poly, Portland State's defense was holding opponents to 126 yards rushing a game.  They gave up 420 rushing yards to Cal Poly.  Cal Poly can rush the ball better than ANY team in the FCS.  Should be fun to watch.  Strength against strength.

Anyone remember Lamar Gordon?  He was a bison RB who played in the NFL...and never scored a touchdown against UND in 4 years.

UND 41

Cal poly 13

Ya, he was nothing special.(His freshman year). He actually got pretty darn good and I know him and Schmitty met a few times.  To your point, Bubba and Schmitty and their version of the 3-4 is predicated on stopping the run.  I know it goes back to Dale Lennon, the 3-4, predicated on stopping the triple option NDSU was running at the time.  Bubba has years of experience and design behind him and Scmitty played against triple option.  I think Schmitty played against it or did NDSU drop the option after Feeny?

I think this will be a hard fought slobber knocker that could either way so I won't try to predict the score.  I will predict UND's defense will give up at least double their season average for rushing yards (95 yards per game).  Possibly triple or more.  Prior to playing Cal Poly, Southern Utah was near the top of the Big Sky in rushing defense (128 yards a game).  They gave up 508 yards rushing to Cal Poly.  Prior to playing Cal Poly, Portland State's defense was holding opponents to 126 yards rushing a game.  They gave up 420 rushing yards to Cal Poly.  Cal Poly can rush the ball better than ANY team in the FCS.  Should be fun to watch.  Strength against strength.

SUU and PSU are paper tiger rushing defenses. We have the only real one in the league. You will not rush for over 250, Ratelle and Reyes and the boys aren't gonna let that happen. This should be a great game but I think your defense is going to be the difference. 

• Upvote 1

Colton Heagle proved that one player can stop a triple option.

Your very wrong here.  Heagle got 20+ tackles and that was impressive.  The entire defense played assignment football, in this case meaning that each defender was responsible for  an offensive player and to defend the trioption   they must stay on their man even if the defender doesn't think that one is getting the ball.  Heagle was the one who hesitated at the plays onset and read it from a few yards back and he was free to persue the football and it worked to near perfection.  In doing this type of defense they leave the corners alone so they have added responsibility too.  The point is that statistically Heagle was the hero of the game but the whole defense was nearly equally involved in the shutdown.

Your very wrong here.  Heagle got 20+ tackles and that was impressive.  The entire defense played assignment football, in this case meaning that each defender was responsible for  an offensive player and to defend the trioption   they must stay on their man even if the defender doesn't think that one is getting the ball.  Heagle was the one who hesitated at the plays onset and read it from a few yards back and he was free to persue the football and it worked to near perfection.  In doing this type of defense they leave the corners alone so they have added responsibility too.  The point is that statistically Heagle was the hero of the game but the whole defense was nearly equally involved in the shutdown.

Yes I know how the option is defended. I was being a smart ass.

• Upvote 1

SUU and PSU are paper tiger rushing defenses. We have the only real one in the league. You will not rush for over 250, Ratelle and Reyes and the boys aren't gonna let that happen. This should be a great game but I think your defense is going to be the difference. 

If UND holds Cal Poly to under 250 yards rushing they will leave SLO with the win.  I think both teams will get yards rushing.  What may decide this game is which team has more yards passing.  

• Upvote 2

SloStang, you might be correct. Statistically Poly has the best rushing numbers with many weapons.  Chris Brown being the most versatile.  Receiving, rushing and passing for TD's.  We don't have the depth at inside linebacker with Rich and now Bakker out for the game.  Little or no rest for Ratelle and O'Brien this game.  Our defense could possibly be on the field more than we want to because of the offense not controlling the clock.  Controlling the clock for the Fighting Hawks has changed some over the last few games.  The oline is the best in the Big Sky and opening hole for the best RB in the country.  Santiago is a weapon every play and capable of scoring every play. 

Before the season started I thought Poly would win the Big Sky even with the tough schedule you faced.  Over the last few games with UND offense clicking my thinking have changed.  Now UND has the best defense and the best offense in the league.  just my opinion.  This will be fun game to watch and wish I could have made it to the game.

Ya, he was nothing special.(His freshman year). He actually got pretty darn good and I know him and Schmitty met a few times.  To your point, Bubba and Schmitty and their version of the 3-4 is predicated on stopping the run.  I know it goes back to Dale Lennon, the 3-4, predicated on stopping the triple option NDSU was running at the time.  Bubba has years of experience and design behind him and Scmitty played against triple option.  I think Schmitty played against it or did NDSU drop the option after Feeny?

like I said, Bubba stops the triple option in his sleep-

You were close and I was wrong.  UND has the best rush defense in the Big Sky and #2 is not even close.  I will be pulling for you to get an invite and if you get it I will be pulling for you to make a deep run.  Congrats on the game and the season.   Go Fighting Hawks.

thanks SloStang.  We have followed Bubba for some time and he knows defense.  On another note Chris Brown did surprise me with his quickness and reads.  Also Poly defense is the first defense to actually defense Santiago.  Poly was quick and made good reads.  Poly has a lot coming back next year.  I wish we could have signed Smeltzer last spring he will be a great player for the Mustangs.

Edited by Nodak78
  • Upvote 1