SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

If you look at the first few games of the season....the offense didn't do much in the 4th Qtr against WYO, Drake, NDSU (at all), UC Davis and that was with Keaton playing the whole game. In all of those games we squandered big leads or lost. I will say being their watching the Weber State game unfold, WSU gained momentum with huge pass plays that energized their fan base and defense.  The #3 was a beast in the second half; he had two long receptions that flipped the field on us that lead to scores. Our running game had stalled because in my opinion Santiago was a little tired in late third and 4th qtr. If you add it all up, to include some curious play calling, Bartels' play was a sympton of larger problems. He was 9 fo 20 with 1 int int that game with two TDs, which had us in contention.  The sack strip fumble was the back breaker before the INT. WSU had all the momentum so all we could do was milk the clock with 5:42 left, like a trainer protecting his fighter in the later rounds of a prize fight. If someone told you/me Bartels would throw two TDs against Cal Poly this week, I think all of us would take that in a heartbeat!  I know I would. I just can't that loss all on him, sorry.

We're gonna just have to agree to disagree.

We're gonna just have to agree to disagree.

You make some valid points. The QB gets charged with taking care of the ball.  That comes with playing the position.  Bartels did get turn it over at key points in the game but he also accounted for 14 of the 24 points we scored with his arm. But the recipe for a loss usually includes many factors. We even missed a short field goal in that game which would've been the difference since we only lost by one. The good news is, in the past few weeks, the defense has played better, the kicking game has been serviceable and the offense has found the end zone in the 4th qtr. Let's hope the trend continues this weekend.7-4 sounds really good whether we get a playoff spot or not. I hear they are announcing the nickname at 10am today. Go Hawks!!

8 would be decent for them.  The 4 teams is just stupid.  Watch an Unbeaten Iowa team or someone get shafted of the playoffs.  Go 8 and you likely include most solid 1 loss teams too.

Iowa can't get shafted. No undefeated P5 is going to be left out this year.

I don't think they will but OK State is also unbeaten and both those 2 teams as it stands today are on the outside looking in while a 1 loss Bama team is 2 and Notre dame is 4.

if Oklahoma St goes undefeated they will bump ND out. 

They are not leavinga P5 undefeated out this year.. Or probably any year.

I don't think they will but OK State is also unbeaten and both those 2 teams as it stands today are on the outside looking in while a 1 loss Bama team is 2 and Notre dame is 4.

Who has Notre Dame beaten? They lost to #1 Clemson, but have they beaten any ranked teams? Looks like a reputation ranking to me.

• Upvote 1

Who has Notre Dame beaten? They lost to #1 Clemson, but have they beaten any ranked teams? Looks like a reputation ranking to me.

Navy, SC, Temple. Plus I think the game against Clemson pretty well validated their quality. If they beat Stanford, I think they'll have a pretty good shot at the 4 seed.

• Upvote 1

Breaking News: If UND beats Cal-Poly they move forward into the FCS playoffs as the TOP SEED!!! The Fighting Hawks would be UNDEFEATED!!! (at 1-0)

No? Don't think the committee will go for that one?

No they will keep us out of the playoffs because the Hawks would only have 1 victory rather than 7.  :blush:

Does anyone think that there could be a disadvantage to an 8pm CT (9p ET) game this Saturday as it relates to the playoff selection? I am reading the FCS Stats Q&A with the selection chair that Tom Miller retweeted and it says that the announcement will start at 11am ET on Sunday.  Our game may not be over until after 11pm ET.  Will they already have made their selections prior to all games being final?

Edited by UNDfan2013

Does anything think that there could be a disadvantage to an 8pm CT (9p ET) game this Saturday as it relates to the playoff selection? I am ready the FCS Stats Q&A with the selection chair that Tom Miller retweeted and it says that the announcement will start at 11am ET on Sunday.  Our game may not be over until after 11pm ET.  Will they already have made their selections prior to all games being final?

Hell no. Kelley isnt on the selection committee so they will have all results and use their heads.

• Upvote 3

Does anyone think that there could be a disadvantage to an 8pm CT (9p ET) game this Saturday as it relates to the playoff selection? I am reading the FCS Stats Q&A with the selection chair that Tom Miller retweeted and it says that the announcement will start at 11am ET on Sunday.  Our game may not be over until after 11pm ET.  Will they already have made their selections prior to all games being final?

I think we are at a slight disadvantage with the late start, but not with the committee.   Our guys are playing later than they are used to.   I wish the game was an early afternoon game instead, but that said  we win our first game as the Hawks.