SiouxSports.com Forum

Stadium speculation

Cratter

Although I'm not holding my breath yet, it would be beyond cool; it would be a tremendous game-changer. UND football would be put in a position like Montana and NDSU pretty quickly if they had a top-notch on-campus stadium, along with a winning on-field product of course. The facility aspect of UND football is the only thing holding them back, especially with FCOA now in effect for next season.

Nevertheless, HPC Phase II is the most likely "next step" in terms of facility upgrades for UND football. 

Let's remember that NDSU plays in a city-owned, indoor facility that is almost a quarter of a century old. So they don't exactly control their own digs either.

What's strange is that the deign of a new business school was released years ago, but still no signs of it being built.  B. John Barry can afford alot of giving now, as he is officially a philantropist.  NDSU got a couple million for their new Barry Hall dowtown, so imagine that Barry would lavish more on UND.  Maybe I'm not the only one that doesn't care for Kelley and prefer to wait to give any gift.  Drew Wrigley probably knows some things are coming down, otherwise he wouldn't express interest.

What would a person do with big empty buildings like Gamble and the old Med School?  NDSU would kill to have excess buildings in good shape, as half their campus is just crumbling.  Hagerott put ol' kibosh on Bresciani's plans to add 4000 students because there exists excess building/classroom capacity elsewhere.  Bisonville is in an uproar over it, but those stingy bizon alumns just need to pay for a couple of new buildings, and then Hager otter wouldn't have to go to the legislature.

I believe there is ample evidence that the unanimous $35,000,000 came from Mr Barry. He is extremely generous and has been to UND. The Barry Family Foundation also funds the area Philanthropy and Youth project. They give  $5000 to area high schools. The students attend training at Micosoft then interview worthy charities in their communities and choose where it goes. Recently expanded to offer $5000 college scholarships  to students who are participating  . The $35,000,000 to the Spirit Campaign was written almost exactly like his other donations. 

I believe there is ample evidence that the unanimous $35,000,000 came from Mr Barry. He is extremely generous and has been to UND. The Barry Family Foundation also funds the area Philanthropy and Youth project. They give  $5000 to area high schools. The students attend training at Micosoft then interview worthy charities in their communities and choose where it goes. Recently expanded to offer $5000 college scholarships  to students who are participating  . The $35,000,000 to the Spirit Campaign was written almost exactly like his other donations. 

Wasnt the gift $10 mill provided as matching funds.  Maybe the total gifted after matching to the business school was $35 mill.

Wasnt the gift $10 mill provided as matching funds.  Maybe the total gifted after matching to the business school was $35 mill.

I'm not sure of details. There were matching funds of $1 for $3 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if all 35 million was earmarked for business

• Upvote 1

I don't suppose the University lists potential projects online anywhere, do they? It would be interesting to see what types of projects were in their pipeline. Or at least, what they are trying to fund raise for.  

The upgraded stadium has been part of the Facilities Master Plan as long as I can remember. While it is more of a "pipe dream" type thing, the way that the HPC was built is very similar to how some of the renderings shows it.  I've see a few versions, one with the east grand stands of the stadium going over the top of where the second phase of the HPC is going to be built and another with the field rotating 90 degrees and being a horseshoe. No clue if there has been any updates since the HPC has actually been built though.

To your actual question, not sure that UND's website has them listed anywhere (though they are in the middle of a campus wide master plan assessment), but JLG's website has one of a few different versions that have been floating around.

The upgraded stadium has been part of the Facilities Master Plan as long as I can remember. While it is more of a "pipe dream" type thing, the way that the HPC was built is very similar to how some of the renderings shows it.  I've see a few versions, one with the east grand stands of the stadium would going over the top of where the second phase of the HPC is going to be built and another with the field rotating 90 degrees and being a horseshoe.

To your actual question, not sure that UND's website has them listed anywhere (though they are in the middle of a campus wide master plan assessment), but JLG's website has one of a few different versions that have been floating around.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm a really impatient fan, and would just love to see a new on campus stadium, sooner than later, even though I don't make it up to Grand Forks very often. I just think it would be a great addition for the school and the program.

I am absolutely a hockey nut, but I would really like to see these other programs take some big steps to become relevant. Winning is the number 1 way to do that, but facilities are huge as well. I think the Betty is a great facility, though could use a few improvement. What I would really like to see, is a new football stadium. I think it would also be really cool to add a small locker room/changing room/storage room for the band, cheerleaders, and dance team. Having played in the band, I really think that would be a pretty cool move. Rather than lugging instruments, uniforms, hats, music, etc. every Saturday. 

Still, I'm sure these types of improvements are a ways down the road, but hopefully one, or a few, of our big time alumni could step up and make this happen.

• Upvote 1

The upgraded stadium has been part of the Facilities Master Plan as long as I can remember. While it is more of a "pipe dream" type thing, the way that the HPC was built is very similar to how some of the renderings shows it.  I've see a few versions, one with the east grand stands of the stadium going over the top of where the second phase of the HPC is going to be built and another with the field rotating 90 degrees and being a horseshoe. No clue if there has been any updates since the HPC has actually been built though.

That picture is pretty impressive, though I'm not sure I see an outdoor stadium being extremely successful in Grand Forks, but maybe I'm wrong. I just think about those late november, early december temp, and even worse, that wind.

Regardless, there is no question that this would be an incredible facility, and while I don't see this happening is the near future, I am confident that whenever this does happen (hopefully soon), it will be done right, and be a top tier facility.

• Upvote 2

While the Alerus isn't perfect, I think Phase II of the HPC is more critical from a recruiting standpoint.  The practice facility is a huge upgrade and should all but eliminate weather concerns from recruits who make their official visits in January and try to imagine practicing in that cold.

The fact is, though, that players spend the VAST majority of their time in the bowels of a facility that was built in 1927. New weight room, new locker room, and perhaps most importantly - new meeting rooms - would go a long way to improving the overall image and the actual experience the players have. The Memorial facilities are long on character and nostalgia, but can't match up to the glitz of the newer facilities at places like SDSU.

Fortunately, a lot of kids don't really base their decisions on whose facilities are best. They're important as eye candy during the recruiting visits and so it's necessary to stay at least comparable to what other schools have. But, the football program, the coaches, the university reputation - those are the things that win with parents and a healthy percentage of recruits.

Finish the HPC, then go for the big kahuna.

I fully agree with you.  I was in GF over the weekend and toured the HPC.  An outstanding facility that will be invaluable to FB and many other UND programs. 

Unfortunately, I also visited the FB locker room and coaches' offices in Memorial.  It has changed very little compared to my last visit there.  It was a dump 15 years ago and it is more of a dump today. In fact, there are serious comments that it could be/should be condemned.  That would probably be good as it would force the issue.  Maybe some other $ could be found to address that issue.

One of the potential challenges is that we may have to have all the $ for Phase II before we can start more significant work on the building.  If that is fact, it is a big problem as there is no seating, no storage (track and other equipment are stored at the ends and the sides of the building - in plain sight), etc.  If we have to wait to raise another $20M (maybe closer to $30M by some reports) before work on locker rooms, training facilities, offices, storage, etc. can be addressed, that is really too bad.

Bottom line - part of Phase II should be moved to a newly created Phase III so additions/improvements can be made sooner rather than later!

On a side and semi-related note, this is one of the reasons I had tried to solicit members of SS.com to assist with some of Bubba's needs/priorities at the HPC.  Obviously, it would be a "drop in the bucker" but I thought helping Bubby get something he would like now would be great.  Unfortunately, there was little interest in doing so. 

I also toured the new hockey locker room at the Ralph - wow!! 

Edited by UND Fan
  • Upvote 1

I'm on record as saying ad nauseum that I love the Alerus.  I have been present since it opened, and through its first 8 years, the atmosphere at that place was pretty tough to beat.  Raucous and deafening.  I remain optimistic that UND is going to string together several winning seasons and playoff berths in the very near future and that will bring back the fans and students.

Maybe I am off base, but it seems like a lot of the people that complain about the Alerus, probably never experienced a game there in the 2000's.  The atmosphere then was off the hook.  The 2001 playoff game against UC Davis was legendary.  2003 against NDSU was great.  All of the playoff games in 2003, the building was rocking.  The last great atmosphere that I can remember was 2009 against USD.  The place was filled to the rafters and extremely loud that day.

I went to the game against NDSU at the Fargodome this year.  At the start it was so loud, my ears were ringing.  Very impressive atmosphere and very jealous of it.  But in all honesty, it was no better than the Alerus was for a big game circa 2001-2007.

I can't find it but the zzghxczquote from Texas A&M Kingsville head coach in the 2000s summed up the atmosphere back in the day.  

Maybe I am off base, but it seems like a lot of the people that complain about the Alerus, probably never experienced a game there in the 2000's.  

Probably never experience Memorial Stadium either. 

I was a teenager during the end of Memorial Stadium, went to a couple games (maybe later in the season). I barely remember the games, what I do remember was thinking "where are the students?"....I think there was literally 10 students front row in the corner someone pointed out to me. I was impressed about the same as at my Central High football games. 

• Upvote 1

I can't find it but the zzghxczquote from Texas A&M Kingsville head coach in the 2000s summed up the atmosphere back in the day.  

I was at the 08 game and it was rocking. I hope that type of atmosphere will return again.

Edited by UNDColorado

Attendance would have been well under 2,000 if UND was playing outdoors last weekend. Weather was miserable. Tailgating almost wasn't fun, but we managed.

Can you imagine attendance if they were playing outside today? It wasn't even that cold, but it was uncomfortable with the mixed range of moisture and a pretty good breeze.

I'm on record as saying ad nauseum that I love the Alerus.  I have been present since it opened, and through its first 8 years, the atmosphere at that place was pretty tough to beat.  Raucous and deafening.  I remain optimistic that UND is going to string together several winning seasons and playoff berths in the very near future and that will bring back the fans and students.

Maybe I am off base, but it seems like a lot of the people that complain about the Alerus, probably never experienced a game there in the 2000's.  The atmosphere then was off the hook.  The 2001 playoff game against UC Davis was legendary.  2003 against NDSU was great.  All of the playoff games in 2003, the building was rocking.  The last great atmosphere that I can remember was 2009 against USD.  The place was filled to the rafters and extremely loud that day.

I went to the game against NDSU at the Fargodome this year.  At the start it was so loud, my ears were ringing.  Very impressive atmosphere and very jealous of it.  But in all honesty, it was no better than the Alerus was for a big game circa 2001-2007.

I'm not denying the atmosphere was great back in those day. I was at the games. I was in the band for a few years in the early 2000's, then just as a student for a while. Great noise and great atmosphere. BUT as has been noted in these forums, the Alerus needs to actually make some big improvements.

You really do feel like you are in a pole barn. I'm also not a fan of giant walkways behind the endzone, instead of seats. No natural light. Narrow concourse, with nothing relating to UND football. Its just not an impressive building. The building itself isn't was was great in to 2000s, the people made it great. The people will come back if we win, but I hope, at some point, they can build a nice (most likely enclosed) stadium on campus. And as much as you may like the Alerus, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see a brand new, state of the art, stadium on campus, if someone was going to donate the money to make it happen.

I'm not denying the atmosphere was great back in those day. I was at the games. I was in the band for a few years in the early 2000's, then just as a student for a while. Great noise and great atmosphere. BUT as has been noted in these forums, the Alerus needs to actually make some big improvements.

You really do feel like you are in a pole barn. I'm also not a fan of giant walkways behind the endzone, instead of seats. No natural light. Narrow concourse, with nothing relating to UND football. Its just not an impressive building. The building itself isn't was was great in to 2000s, the people made it great. The people will come back if we win, but I hope, at some point, they can build a nice (most likely enclosed) stadium on campus. And as much as you may like the Alerus, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see a brand new, state of the art, stadium on campus, if someone was going to donate the money to make it happen.

Is there no UND branding on the main concourses? I know there is some UND pictures and green lighting near the UND locker room that I saw last year when I got a chance to go back in the hallway. Also had Big Sky team logos. 

Okay, I'm convinced. Alerus is good, because we will be winning soon. How do we push funds to an HPC phase II fund? do we have to specify where our money can be used?

Best way is to specify that is where you want the funds to go to. I have talked to some players who said it'd be nice to have the locker rooms over there instead of having to walk across memorial to get to the HPC and tracking mud in (due to excess dirt from construction). 

Is the locker rooms only going to be for Football when the new phase is built or for all the sports that use the Hyslop now? 

Is there no UND branding on the main concourses? I know there is some UND pictures and green lighting near the UND locker room that I saw last year when I got a chance to go back in the hallway. Also had Big Sky team logos. 

Best way is to specify that is where you want the funds to go to. I have talked to some players who said it'd be nice to have the locker rooms over there instead of having to walk across memorial to get to the HPC and tracking mud in (due to excess dirt from construction). 

Is the locker rooms only going to be for Football when the new phase is built or for all the sports that use the Hyslop now? 

It has been a while since I have been up to GF, but I was just going off of what I remember and what others have posted on here. I certainly don't think it is a bad building. I've just always been a fan of the idea of having a stadium on campus.

It has been a while since I have been up to GF, but I was just going off of what I remember and what others have posted on here. I certainly don't think it is a bad building. I've just always been a fan of the idea of having a stadium on campus.

I always wondered how if the Alerus Center was built on or right near the East side of campus how it would be percieved even if it is the exact same building it is right now.

I always wondered how if the Alerus Center was built on or right near the East side of campus how it would be percieved even if it is the exact same building it is right now.

Better, but not perfect. The building still needs some improvements. I do think seats should be at the end of the end zones, not a giant wall. The concourses could really be upgraded too. The building is not bad, but it could be better. It doesn't have a very warm or inviting feeling to it.

Better, but not perfect. The building still needs some improvements. I do think seats should be at the end of the end zones, not a giant wall. The concourses could really be upgraded too. The building is not bad, but it could be better. It doesn't have a very warm or inviting feeling to it.

Always liked the idea on making a horseshoe on the south end with mostly glass so you can see in and out.  That would make it brighter and inviting, much like Ralph made then REA with glass near the escalators.  The cost and city politics would probably be prohibitive.