SiouxSports.com Forum

Digger vs Ratelle vs Tibesar vs LeClair

geaux_sioux

I never saw LeClair play either, my Sioux football days started about the time Tibesar came in.  I don't think Ratelle has done enough yet to be at the top of this list, although he may be the most physically gifted and his legacy could change with more games like last week and some UND victories.  Really hard to pick between Tibesar and Digger.  I guess I would slightly lean towards Digger as I remember him standing out on special teams the first time I saw him.  He was such a good combination of will, athleticism and instincts, but I guess that could be said of all of these guys.  But I guess for a full four years I remember Digger making play after play and was a constant his whole career.  I'll be interested to hear some of the others who go back even farther debate this.  One thing is for sure UND is lucky to have landed all these guys as they most certainly could have all been playing at even higher levels at some point in their careers.

Were these guys the phenomenal physical specimen that ratelle is ?  I remember digger being the man, but tough to say whether or not between him and ratelle because ratelle didn't get on the field right away (and my love for UND football hadn't matured yet).

All of these guys were/are very good and deserve a place in every Sioux football fan's heart, but I don't think your list is complete if Dean Witkowski is not included in the conversation.  He played in a 4 - 3 scheme and virtually covered sideline to sideline.  It was unfortunate that the teams he played on were not at an elite level (much like what Ratelle is experiencing) and his exposure beyond the faithful was somewhat limited.  I do believe he was drafted by Green Bay.

LeClair starred for Bengals teams that went to the Super Bowl.  Hard to pick against his accomplishments.  Lives in Mayville but his health isn't too good, possibly because of repeated pounding he took, especially with concussions.

All these LBS are from the Cities.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Ratelle playing against better competition

bubbs really coached him up

Leclair played against Montana, Momtana State, NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI, Arkansas State and UNLV.  He was a Linebacker in a 5-2 defense and dominated. He was 6' 3" and 225 lbs and when he hit someone they felt it.  NDSU was ranked #1 and had a 30 some game unbeaten streak and the LeClair led defense held them to -18 total yds.  AC only touchdown was on an interception pick 6.  LeClair hit Steve Nelson so hard that the entire stadium was in awe and Nelson was done.  I think he transferred to Concordia to finish his career. Arkansas State was ranked #1 when we played them and Montana was a ranked and had one of the biggest olines in the country at the time. LeClair dominated from sideline to sideline.  I've seen all of these guys and there was none better.  An All -American, He was drafted by the Bengals and went on to a 10 yr NFL career, Bengals team Captain and pro bowler.  The competition was DII but that was today's FCS teams, and teams like Nevada, Boise State, UNLV, San Siego State etc. Certainly better completion than Drake, Wyoming and Cal Davis.  Note I said none better.  That means each one of these guys  dominated in their era.  Most dominant in my mind is LeClair. You had to double team him if you wanted to run and he could defend the pass.  The other guy at Linebacker was Don McLean who was one of the toughest nastiest LBs in the country. He was an Honorable Mention All- American.  Program was in shambles in 1969.  Conference runner up in 1970 and conference champs in 1971.  One of the reasons I'm not on board with all the excuses about playing young guys and it takes 4-5 yrs to turn a program around.  

• Upvote 3

Leclair played against Montana, Momtana State, NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI, Arkansas State and UNLV.  He was a Linebacker in a 5-2 defense and dominated. He was 6' 3" and 225 lbs and when he hit someone they felt it.  NDSU was ranked #1 and had a 30 some game unbeaten streak and the LeClair led defense held them to -18 total yds.  AC only touchdown was on an interception pick 6.  LeClair hit Steve Nelson so hard that the entire stadium was in awe and Nelson was done.  I think he transferred to Concordia to finish his career. Arkansas State was ranked #1 when we played them and Montana was a ranked and had one of the biggest olines in the country at the time. LeClair dominated from sideline to sideline.  I've seen all of these guys and there was none better.  An All -American, He was drafted by the Bengals and went on to a 10 yr NFL career, Bengals team Captain and pro bowler.  The competition was DII but that was today's FCS teams, and teams like Nevada, Boise State, UNLV, San Siego State etc. Certainly better completion than Drake, Wyoming and Cal Davis.  Note I said none better.  That means each one of these guys  dominated in their era.  Most dominant in my mind is LeClair. You had to double team him if you wanted to run and he could defend the pass.  The other guy at Linebacker was Don McLean who was one of the toughest nastiest LBs in the country. He was an Honorable Mention All- American.  Program was in shambles in 1969.  Conference runner up in 1970 and conference champs in 1971.  One of the reasons I'm not on board with all the excuses about playing young guys and it takes 4-5 yrs to turn a program around.  

I was at that NDSU game and you are correct in your assessment of Leclair - Now that you run through his accomplishments I think I will take him over Digger.  Plus, he was the only person to ever take down the famous wrestling bear.  https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19740201&id=ZsdSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AH4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6868,247854&hl=en

• Upvote 1

I was at that NDSU game and you are correct in your assessment of Leclair - Now that you run through his accomplishments I think I will take him over Digger.  Plus, he was the only person to ever take down the famous wrestling bear.  https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19740201&id=ZsdSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AH4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6868,247854&hl=en

I appreciate this. It's good to have these conversations. Not proud of this but had never really heard of leclair until this thread. If we had that game day experience at the alerus, with UND tradition, it might be a different story.

Who was the best out of these guys? All of them are/were great players. But if you had to pick one. And why. I was a little young to remember Tibesar and wasn't born when LeClair was the man so I hope some older fans can weigh in.

Le Clair.

That was Dave Nelson. Steve Nelson went on to play for the Patriots.  And you are correct. After that hit he was never the same.

You are correct, thanks.  I even knew that and still typed it wrong. Dave was from Detroit Lakes.  He was a hell of a high school athlete.  I believe that hit changed his career and he transferred to Concordia.  

You are correct, thanks.  I even knew that and still typed it wrong. Dave was from Detroit Lakes.  He was a hell of a high school athlete.  I believe that hit changed his career and he transferred to Concordia.  

Dave hung around and tried to make it in FB and baseball but just couldnt seem to put it all together. Something always seemed to happen to him.

Yes he ended up transferring to concordia for his last year I think.

Tibesar, super smart and I think he could tell you what the offense was doing before the ball was snapped.

Anderson, Instinct is what comes to mind and was always near the football. 

Ratelle, I am not certain he is the most physically talented but he is certainly the most physically developed.   I love his consistency and that every time he makes a tackle it is a done deal, the ball carrier is stopped or going backward. 

I can't speak for the players before this but I do think the game has changed and that should be taken into account.  LeClair has a son that started at Kansas (Andrew I think) as a true freshman in the mid to late 90's.  Decided to transfer to NDSU and couldn't crack the starting lineup his first year.  Did become a very good starter eventually but it always amazed me a starter at Kansas wasn't good enough to start right away at NDSU.  Sometimes the system the player is in makes a difference as to how good they are.