SiouxSports.com Forum

Please attend

Fetch

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3823328-university-park-rally-unites-those-favoring-no-new-und-nickname

What exactly is Mr. Davidson talking about when he says, ""(UND/North Dakota) is the only name that is going to unite the committee,".   The Committee is already done and their are no more committee's.  Does he know what is going on with the process?  

Also, why would certain native americans be so FOR keeping it "North Dakota" - what do they have to gain in the deal?  They already lost having their nickname on the University. I can see being outraged by the process and everything but why so adamant about staying North Dakota?

Between two rallies, there has been a combined attendance of 50-75 including people bussed in. The fundraising effort to pay to bus those people in had 18 donors. If the  "no nickname" crowd is the majority the say they are, they sure don't care enough to put their time or money where their mouth is. 

I see the quote in the article from Archie Fool Bear about how the 1969 ceremony is like a Catholic baptism.

Not a good comparison. Why? Having, living Catholic beliefs is just as un-PC as having a Native based nickname, maybe worse. Either way, the media is not sympathetic at all to either idea.  

Sorry Archie, the media will award you no sympathy points for that. They may even negate you harder. 

Signed,

A Catholic

Between two rallies, there has been a combined attendance of 50-75 including people bussed in. The fundraising effort to pay to bus those people in had 18 donors. If the  "no nickname" crowd is the majority the say they are, they sure don't care enough to put their time or money where their mouth is. 

Absolutely true!  The heraldo actually had a picture of a bunch of LARP'ers staging a medieval battle in the park tagged as "rally supporters" before somebody pointed it out to them.  (Okay it was me!)  It was easy to mistake a group that actually had people SHOW UP than wonder why 6 people were lingering under a tent in attendance for a major "show of support"!   This rally was a joke and a complete waste of time and money for the idiots that contributed...now Kelley has MORE AMMO to say the "North Dakota" crowd has no real support.  I say GOOD!

• Upvote 1

Wow, feel bad for the people who actually donated money to this. I'd ask for mine back. I guess you can blame the rain but the larp group had a bigger turnout in the same rain. That should tell you something there. Two supposed big rally's with a total of maybe 50 people at each combined. Let's move on to bigger and better things people.

While that was going on the football team was practicing in their new facility, they take on Wyoming in a few weeks, Potato Bowl after that, NDSU, Big Sky football, hockey season, basketball season the list goes on. Just a few things these "fans," could be putting their energy towards that would be better than this. Enough with the nickname garbage, time for Bubba ball to start.

• Upvote 3

I don't see how you can make a connection between how many people show up at a last-minute rally in Grand Forks or give money to a bus fund with the number of people who prefer just "North Dakota" for a variety of reasons. There is no connection. 

If the turnout for a rally held outside during a thunderstorm warning is the true barometer of support for a cause, I have to ask how well attended have the sundogs, fighting hawks, roughriders, north stars, and nodaks rallies been?

What's that?  There haven't been any rallies organized in support of those names?  Even though there is no guarantee that all of those names will be on the ballot for the public vote?   Huh, interesting.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how you can make a connection between how many people show up at a last-minute rally in Grand Forks or give money to a bus fund with the number of people who prefer just "North Dakota" for a variety of reasons. There is no connection. 

Last minute??  According to the Sioux were Silenced Facebook page, they have been planning this event since August 12th!! 

Last minute? They had fundraising in place. They chartered a bus to cross the state to bring people in. Unfortunately, it seems the total number of attendees could've ridden out the rain inside the bus. 

If the NAs are so passionate about staying North Dakota, why did they need to be paid to attend their own rally?

Yesterday's rally was announced a month ago, on July 22, and was to be held rain or shine. That is far from short notice. How many people would have been there if they had not paid/bussed people in?

Despite the rain, this event was a disaster  for the Sioux only/no nickname supporters.

We'll have to see how the students react to this entire fiasco  before the next move is made by Kelley.  

As much as alummi like myself along with other UND supporters think we are the deciders, I think Kelley, rightfully, may lend more weight to the current students on this issue.  If Kelley feels there is potential harm in not choosing a nickname, that will not be an option.  

Who has been preaching that the folks who want no nicname are the Fighting Sioux forever only crowd ? We are but u any crappy name people because u want to do what is best for UND people are sure pretty smug about thinking ur any where close to being a majority

Go ahead and have ur stupid election & kiss kelly's whatever

The vast majority of us will  be Sioux Forever & laugh at all attemts to be anything else...........:silly:

Edited by Fetch
?

This ^ on BSV comment

Many who came maybe didnt have the funds to do it

I want to thank Eunice & Archie for trying - not ur fault wish it had gone better....much respect... ignore the morons

Edited by Fetch