SiouxSports.com Forum

Please attend

Fetch

Southpaw people like u make me almost hope Kelly gives u Sundogs - I know who I will always be - it would tickle me to watch the results & protests that would follow

And who will you be Fetch? I myself will be a fan of the University of North Dakota until two things happen either I die or the the school closes which ever happens first. No nickname (including Sundogs) will change that. I will still wear Fighting Sioux gear 10-20-30 years from now (as long as it fits) along with other UND gear no matter the nickname, why? Because I am a passionate fan for this university. Growing up listing to the announcer and crowd at Memorial Stadium from my backyard to taking my own kids 70 miles to cheer on UND to victory. Because....UND comes before any nickname!! That's who I am.

Southpaw people like u make me almost hope Kelly gives u Sundogs - I know who I will always be - it would tickle me to watch the results & protests that would follow

Divide & Conquer

If all you no-nickname supporters united and threatened to vote for Sundogs a lot of people on here would be begging for no nickname back.

And who will you be Fetch? I myself will be a fan of the University of North Dakota until two things happen either I die or the the school closes which ever happens first. No nickname (including Sundogs) will change that. I will still wear Fighting Sioux gear 10-20-30 years from now (as long as it fits) along with other UND gear no matter the nickname, why? Because I am a passionate fan for this university. Growing up listing to the announcer and crowd at Memorial Stadium from my backyard to taking my own kids 70 miles to cheer on UND to victory. Because....UND comes before any nickname!! That's who I am.

Exactly, Darell!  Keep it "University of North Dakota" instead of any new nickname!

I ran some numbers: .05% of Grand Forks showed up for the Rally.

About the same number that was playing bingo with my grandma in the Grand Cities Mall.

.05% isn't exactly a sleeping giant.

I doubt Kelley will add no nickname as an option due to this "overwhelming" number.

It's sad that most fans just seem resigned to their fate now. The theme seems to be "go ahead and pick ANYTHING, Mr President, I'll cheer for UND no matter what."

Which is EXACTLY why that small feel-good band of BRIDGES folks will rejoice when the school completes the total capitulation from the hostile and abusive Fighting Sioux nickname to the trailblazing all-inclusive Sundogs. Hail academia!

You aren't really trying to equate the number of people who show up for a rally with the number of people who support the issue of that rally are you? Just because I didn't show up doesn't mean I don't support the issue. On the other side there are plenty of people who are recruited to attend rallies that have no interest in the cause they come because a friend asked them.

You really can't say that just because the rally didn't draw hundreds/thousands of people that no one supports the issue. You could say the same thing about the Walk that was held last year on campus after the Siouxper Drunk shirts - it was a very small gathering if your thought is that everyone who agreed with their issue was there. 

You aren't really trying to equate the number of people who show up for a rally with the number of people who support the issue of that rally are you? Just because I didn't show up doesn't mean I don't support the issue. On the other side there are plenty of people who are recruited to attend rallies that have no interest in the cause they come because a friend asked them.

You really can't say that just because the rally didn't draw hundreds/thousands of people that no one supports the issue. You could say the same thing about the Walk that was held last year on campus after the Siouxper Drunk shirts - it was a very small gathering if your thought is that everyone who agreed with their issue was there.

I agreed with you up until your last sentence. The Walk actually drew hundreds of people from all walks of life and exceeded expectations of both the organizers and of those on the Fighting Sioux forever side of the fence. I have a birds eye picture of the mass of folks at that rally and it was quite impressive. People that were critical of the Walk for Change (such as Rob Port) were very interested before it happened what the attendance would be. Once it was reported that the numbers were actually strong, their tactics changed to criticize it in other ways. Those t-shirts hit a nerve. Though personally I thought the reaction was overblown. But to say it was a small gathering is just not accurate. It dwarfed what took place yesterday on campus.

But again your greater point is valid. I don't put much stock one way or the other in these kinds of demonstrations as far as support for a cause.

I ran some numbers: .05% of Grand Forks showed up for the Rally.

About the same number that was playing bingo with my grandma in the Grand Cities Mall.

That's because many thought it was settled by considering the name again. Obviously Kelley chose his words wisely. I hope many of you realize it is a long shot for roughriders to be chosen.....then what?

I hope many of you realize it is a long shot for roughriders to be chosen.....then what?

It's just a matter of time before the '9 out of 10 Indians' quote comes to the forefront of discussion of that possible choice - before it is quickly eliminated.

It's just a matter of time before the '9 out of 10 Indians' quote comes to the forefront of discussion of that possible choice - before it is quickly eliminated.

That's funny -- and so true. Curiously, though, it's not an argument for just our Indian friends. The problems associated with Roughriders as far as its dark history toward American Indians was brought up by a number of folks at the "Just North Dakota" protest last evening. Seems to be a popular sentiment out there right now from various viewpoints in the nickname battle.

It's not a good quote at all. It is reflective of times though and context matters. Looking at everything through today's lens is convenient and easy, not noncomprehensive at best. I actually thought the Dennis article in the Herald was great on this topic. We can't honor anyone anymore if we don't expect human errors from humans.

It's not a good quote at all. It is reflective of times though and context matters. Looking at everything through today's lens is convenient and easy, not noncomprehensive at best. I actually thought the Dennis article in the Herald was great on this topic. We can't honor anyone anymore if we don't expect human errors from humans.

In this day and age of hyper-sensitivity and over-apologizing for anything and everything, I'm sorry, but I disagree. Kelley and company will want to avoid ANY potential nickname controversy.

"Well, Roughriders and Sundogs were our final two choices - but given TR's comments on Indians, the final selection was actually quite clear. The new nickname 'Sundogs' will epitomize the true spirit of diversity and abstract vision for the future that we, as the University of North Dakota..."

I agreed with you up until your last sentence. The Walk actually drew hundreds of people from all walks of life and exceeded expectations of both the organizers and of those on the Fighting Sioux forever side of the fence. I have a birds eye picture of the mass of folks at that rally and it was quite impressive. People that were critical of the Walk for Change (such as Rob Port) were very interested before it happened what the attendance would be. Once it was reported that the numbers were actually strong, their tactics changed to criticize it in other ways. Those t-shirts hit a nerve. Though personally I thought the reaction was overblown. But to say it was a small gathering is just not accurate. It dwarfed what took place yesterday on campus.

But again your greater point is valid. I don't put much stock one way or the other in these kinds of demonstrations as far as support for a cause.

I would bet that half of the people at that walk were on the time clock for UND and getting paid. 

People still get lunch "Hours"?

Yes. Most likely they took their 30 minute lunch combined with their two allotted 15 minute breaks. But instead of working or eating they participated in the March. That's the staff. As far as the faculty, they are all basically independent contrators so who knows how they handled their individual break periods. And the students either skipped class or didn't have it at the time. The rest were off campus members of the public so I wouldn't have any speculation on their situations.

In this day and age of hyper-sensitivity and over-apologizing for anything and everything, I'm sorry, but I disagree. Kelley and company will want to avoid ANY potential nickname controversy.

"Well, Roughriders and Sundogs were our final two choices - but given TR's comments on Indians, the final selection was actually quite clear. The new nickname 'Sundogs' will epitomize the true spirit of diversity and abstract vision for the future that we, as the University of North Dakota..."

This is what I'm afraid of. The people who want no nickname (not all) but some will do what they can to sabotage Roughriders. Create just enough controversy, such as the letter to the editor about a quote made by Mr. Roosevelt is an example. Any potential controversial name will be eliminated. My second choice is no name, but I feel that there's no way we will be allowed to stay with no name. Ultimately this means we will be stuck with one of the remaining three names, all of which are horrible options. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see the process trending at this time.

Yes. Most likely they took their 30 minute lunch combined with their two allotted 15 minute breaks. But instead of working or eating they participated in the March. That's the staff. As far as the faculty, they are all basically independent contrators so who knows how they handled their individual break periods. And the students either skipped class or didn't have it at the time. The rest were off campus members of the public so I wouldn't have any speculation on their situations.

My point was that you can't judge how many people support an issue by just the number who show up for a rally.