SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

There are 50,000 plus people that live in the city of Grand Forks.  They buy tickets to games at UND.  Their businesses are sponsors for events.  The kids become students at UND.  The community is a major support system for the school and the athletic program.  This isn't some rural school with a couple of hundred students.  Some of their games do have attendance of at least a couple of thousand.  That's why it has to be taken into consideration.  It doesn't matter if you can't see a potential problem, I'm sure that officials at UND will take it into consideration.  The local citizens get to have their opinion, just like you.  If Fargo North wants to change their name, let them.  That doesn't mean that Grand Forks residents and former residents don't get to have an opinion on the subject that you may not like.  Your dismissal of that opinion isn't going to help the argument.

That should all come out in the wash when they let the stakeholders vote, but it better be an option, or officials at UND aren't doing their job.

• Upvote 1

I get what your saying 82 I just don't see all this red river pride when I go into businesses in GF or when I'm in GF like I see in smaller communities. I see a lot of UND stuff but not Red River. Red river doesn't have this huge fan base/following that is going to be mad about UND taking their name from what I've gather. Most of the red river people I've talked with actually like that UND is considering that name because they already like that name. Some posters have mentioned it on here even.

I am also a fan of the name North Stars but to me choosing the state nickname and a former NHL team name from our neighbors is a way worse branding decision than taking a local high school teams name. Red River is just a high school, it's not even in the conversation of carrying the same type of name recognition UND does in GF or in the state. We can agree to disagree on that.

I don't see using the Roughrider nickname as any kind of deal  breaking conflict.     I think that their are a group of people that will argue with any possible  proposed nickname because they just want to leave it as North Dakota.    I think we can  find fault with any possible nickname.      There is just going to have to be some compromise.  Hopefully when this is  done we all can continue to support our University and its teams.  

• Upvote 2

Yes, UND represents a lot more than just the south side of Grand Forks. But you are discounting the fact that the schools are less than 2 miles apart, that they are covered by the same local media, and that there are thousands of local and regional people that are either affiliated with both schools or are at least familiar with both schools. None of these factors are true for your comparisons of Hazen or Milnor, which means that those comparisons are not very relevant. That was my point. The situation of having UND and Red River using the same nickname is not comparable to any local situation, and definitely not similar to Hazen or Milnor. The only comparison that I know of that is close is Iowa State Cyclones and Ames Little Cyclones. That is a case where the high school copied the college team, but added Little to acknowledge the fact that they were the different team. Not a case of the local university copying the local high school with the exact same name.

Nice point. I believe there is a school in Boston that sounds a lot like BC as well. But your point is valid. It will take some getting used to if RR is chosen.

Does the sports writer now speak for the entire community? Or is it that your opinion trumps everyone who disagrees with you? There are people that don't like the idea because a local school already uses it. A sports nickname helps give a school an identity. Some people see it as UND stealing or diluting the local school's identity. Red River has used the nickname for almost 50 years. Others, mainly Central alumni, don't like the name because it is associated with Red River. You don't have to agree with either of them. But the school has to recognize the potential conflict and decide if it is enough of a problem to choose a different name.

Apparently it is your opinion that trumps everyone who disagrees with you, as you repeatedly tell him he is wrong. As a UND alumni and non-North Dakotan, I don't care at all about Red River. If the local community can't differentiate between UND and Red River HIGH SCHOOL, we have bigger issues.

• Upvote 4

Apparently it is your opinion that trumps everyone who disagrees with you, as you repeatedly tell him he is wrong. As a UND alumni and non-North Dakotan, I don't care at all about Red River. If the local community can't differentiate between UND and Red River HIGH SCHOOL, we have bigger issues.

As I have written before, no name is my first choice, RR's is my second!

I agree with this 100%. I don't understand the complaining about Red River having the name.....first???? It's a high school in Grand Forks....big deal.

There are 50,000 plus people that live in the city of Grand Forks.  They buy tickets to games at UND.  Their businesses are sponsors for events.  The kids become students at UND.  The community is a major support system for the school and the athletic program.  This isn't some rural school with a couple of hundred students.  Some of their games do have attendance of at least a couple of thousand.  That's why it has to be taken into consideration.  It doesn't matter if you can't see a potential problem, I'm sure that officials at UND will take it into consideration.  The local citizens get to have their opinion, just like you.  If Fargo North wants to change their name, let them.  That doesn't mean that Grand Forks residents and former residents don't get to have an opinion on the subject that you may not like.  Your dismissal of that opinion isn't going to help the argument.

So, are you saying you're on board with the nickname Sundogs?  :p  :whistling:

Being a former Lumber Jack from Bemidji, I could care less as well. If these people are truly upset with UND potentially using the Rough Riders nickname, vote for something else. It's that simple. 

It seems like most of time is being spent talking about the North Dakota(no name) option or the Roughrider option. They do seem to be the 2 favorites. There is a faction of people that only talk about the negatives of the two. If too much time is spent on the negatives of the two, people might just avoid those 2 options and vote for something else. That might scare me.

This committee is not going to start over - it would be too much of a disgrace to them and UND - heads would roll. They chose the path and the name will come from one of these seven. In a perfect world they would be able to step back and say the process didn't work - but no other school has taken this path so there was no way to know that this was where it would end up. While many of us thought the "Consultants" were hired to bring creativity to the process the reality is they were hired to bring "safety" to the process. You will never get a creative name when "safety" is your primary goal. 

• Upvote 1

This committee is not going to start over - it would be too much of a disgrace to them and UND - heads would roll. They chose the path and the name will come from one of these seven. In a perfect world they would be able to step back and say the process didn't work - but no other school has taken this path so there was no way to know that this was where it would end up. While many of us thought the "Consultants" were hired to bring creativity to the process the reality is they were hired to bring "safety" to the process. You will never get a creative name when "safety" is your primary goal.

So...what are you saying?

My opinion is that it is wrong to dismiss the opinions of a significant group of people.  Like Roughriders all you want.  But it isn't right to dismiss the opinions of those that don't want the name because Red River uses it, especially when you act like their opinion doesn't count because they are "townies" or that they "can't see beyond the city limits" or some other insulting language.  Talk about an elitist attitude.  Somehow you think that you are better than people who live in Grand Forks?  Roughriders may or may not end up being the best choice, and may or may not end up being the final choice.  But this attitude that the opinions of people in Grand Forks don't count if they disagree with you is my problem.

My opinion is that it is wrong to dismiss the opinions of a significant group of people. Like Roughriders all you want. But it isn't right to dismiss the opinions of those that don't want the name because Red River uses it, especially when you act like their opinion doesn't count because they are "townies" or that they "can't see beyond the city limits" or some other insulting language. Talk about an elitist attitude. Somehow you think that you are better than people who live in Grand Forks? Roughriders may or may not end up being the best choice, and may or may not end up being the final choice. But this attitude that the opinions of people in Grand Forks don't count if they disagree with you is my problem.

Thank you.

So...what are you saying?

I'm saying: no use in throwing out names as possibilities that aren't in the final seven, instead of dwelling on what you hate about the final seven find something you can at least tolerate - one of them is going to be on the jersey of our team in a couple of months. 

Being a former Lumber Jack from Bemidji, I could care less as well. If these people are truly upset with UND potentially using the Rough Riders nickname, vote for something else. It's that simple.

First of all, it's "couldn't care less..."

Secondly, what do you mean by "these people"?

I didn't realize that NDSU was located in Hazen, or in Milnor. How many thousands of people are affiliated with the Hazen Bison? They average about 60 per class right now, so probably not a lot of thousands. How about Milnor? They average less than 20 per class, so even fewer thousands. And how about those Milnor/North Sargent Bulldogs? You know, since Milnor coops with North Sargent for sports like football and girls basketball. Does the Fargo Forum, KFGO, WDAY and the rest of the Fargo media spend a lot of time talking about the Hazen Bison or the Milnor Bison? Maybe those situations aren't exactly the same as if the University is located in the same town as one of the larger high schools in the state that has several hundred graduates each year.

Hear! Hear!

I'm saying: no use in throwing out names as possibilities that aren't in the final seven, instead of dwelling on what you hate about the final seven find something you can at least tolerate - one of them is going to be on the jersey of our team in a couple of months.

The name SCPA would like to see is "stars" which is not one of the seven, but I did read that "adding a word or subtracting a word from the seven will be on the table".

So there is that, using stars is not starting over....

The name SCPA would like to see is "stars" which is not one of the seven, but I did read that "adding a word or subtracting a word from the seven will be on the table".

So there is that, using stars is not starting over....

It could be worse I suppose...the committee, in all its abstract wisdom, could decide to go with the University of North Dakota Rough.