SiouxSports.com Forum

Changes to the NCAA Regionals/Tournament and other miscellaneous stuff

cberkas

After the ACHA coaches meetings the "overwhelming majority coaches wanted to keep the NCAA Regionals as is". The NCAA committee will meet in June to talk about the potential change to the Regionals.

http://www.uscho.com/2015/05/07/overwhelming-majority-of-coaches-dont-want-change-for-ncaa-regional-system/

Some other points in the article.

- Don't expect any changes to the NCAA selection process.

- Adding practices at the beginning of the year. 

- Expanding the coaching staffs from three full-time paid coaches to four.

- Not a rule change year, but tweaking goaltender interference was brought up. Coaches feel that goalies are over protected and goals that should count are being waved off.

When it comes to the NCAA Regionals, if an arena can't have a combined attendance of the first two game of 10,000 or at least close to 10,000 and a two day total around 15,000. Then those arenas shouldn't be allowed to host a NCAA Regional again. It should be easy for the committee to be able to keep a list of Regionals that worked and ones that failed. looking at this year Fargo and Providence were successful and Notre Dame and Manchester didn't work.

Another thing that should be implemented is who can be a "host school" for the NCAA tournament. For a school to host an NCAA Regional they would have to had been in the NCAA tournament in the last 5 to 10 years. So schools like Brown this year shouldn't be allowed to host a NCAA Regional.

The problem with that attendance standard for regionals is that it is so dependent on a local school making it.  If Notre Dame makes the tournament, South Bend meets the attendance requirement.  If UND doesn't, Fargo doesn't do near as well.

The problem with that attendance standard for regionals is that it is so dependent on a local school making it.  If Notre Dame makes the tournament, South Bend meets the attendance requirement.  If UND doesn't, Fargo doesn't do near as well.

not really because the building was sold out 5 months before the regional even took place.  so the ncaa made its money whether und was there or not.

Meh.  I find it hard to get too worked up over this subject.  In the last two decades the NCAA, over virtually no opposition from the coaches or schools, moved towards the non-campus regionals and the single game elimination.   As a result, it gave the "overwhelming majority" of the schools, the ones that realistically year in and year out aren't likely to compete for the championship, a "punchers chance" on that one year they do make it.  Going to be hard to get them to give that up.

I really don't know why fans cry about empty regionals.  Frankly, I've always found it a plus.  Good, cheap seats are plentiful for last minute decisions to go.  No problem getting hotel rooms.

There is the "no atmosphere" that tv and other media complain about, but so what.

• Downvote 2

Meh.  I find it hard to get too worked up over this subject.  In the last two decades the NCAA, over virtually no opposition from the coaches or schools, moved towards the non-campus regionals and the single game elimination.   As a result, it gave the "overwhelming majority" of the schools, the ones that realistically year in and year out aren't likely to compete for the championship, a "punchers chance" on that one year they do make it.  Going to be hard to get them to give that up.

I really don't know why fans cry about empty regionals.  Frankly, I've always found it a plus.  Good, cheap seats are plentiful for last minute decisions to go.  No problem getting hotel rooms.

There is the "no atmosphere" that tv and other media complain about, but so what.

Atmosphere is the best part about college sports...

Meh. I find it hard to get too worked up over this subject. In the last two decades the NCAA, over virtually no opposition from the coaches or schools, moved towards the non-campus regionals and the single game elimination. As a result, it gave the "overwhelming majority" of the schools, the ones that realistically year in and year out aren't likely to compete for the championship, a "punchers chance" on that one year they do make it. Going to be hard to get them to give that up.

I really don't know why fans cry about empty regionals. Frankly, I've always found it a plus. Good, cheap seats are plentiful for last minute decisions to go. No problem getting hotel rooms.

Havnt you ever heard a player say how pumped they get in a loud arena, or are you one of those fans that just sit and do nothing?

I suppose we should do what they did in Baltimore during the civil unrest last week and have the games in an empty arena?  Because that is what some of these games have been like.

Meh yourself.

Havnt you ever heard a player say how pumped they get in a loud arena, or are you one of those fans that just sit and do nothing?

I'm one of those fans that actually goes to the regional games and doesn't whine that the NCAA isn't it making it more convenient for me to do so.

I'm one of those fans that actually goes to the regional games and doesn't whine that the NCAA isn't it making it more convenient for me to do so.

To make it to the regional in Grand Rapids, I rearranged my work schedule (not an easy task), drove two and a half hours to the airport, took two flights totaling roughly 5 hours, and drove another three hours...each way.  Big deal.  It's not about whether it's convenient for us fans to get there (it's usually not).  It's about these young men deserving to play in arenas packed with fans.  It's about them being able to finish their college seasons/careers with people who share the passion for the sport, not in front of apathetic empty seats.

The championship game in Boston was the best non-Sioux game I've ever attended.  And while some part of that can be attributed to the back-and-forth play on the ice and a botched save by Mr. Matt O'Connor, most of that is because of the absolutely electric atmosphere that was inside the building.  Atmosphere in college sports is everything.

I am too - they are essentially saying they are for perpetually giving UMN, BC, and BU home regionals whether they have earned it or not.

Seems like everyone wants to think that a move to on-campus sites would benefit only the "big" schools but that's not the case at all. Problem is, they're all fixated at how Yale a couple of years ago and Providence this season have a better chance at "neutral" venues (and I use that term loosely with respect to the Friars this year).

I am dumbfounded that more coaches aren't in favor of the plan.

I am too, my guess is a lot of the smaller schools think their best chance to win is to play at a site with no atmosphere and not a lot of people in attendance and that is why they want to keep it as is. Even if they don't want it at home sites there should be some sort of change and more of a reward for getting a #1 seed. I mean what kind of reward was it for Miami to have to play Providence in Providence. Maybe the #1 seed gets to host at a suitable arena close to the school for us it could be Fargo, Minnesota would have the X, Providence would have the arena the regional was at this year, etc. I noticed 2 NCHC teams voted for the change so I wonder who the other one was besides UND. I also wonder who the other teams were to vote to change the regionals I would guess Minnesota was one as I believe Lucia has spoken out against the current system a few times.

I am too, my guess is a lot of the smaller schools think their best chance to win is to play at a site with no atmosphere and not a lot of people in attendance and that is why they want to keep it as is. Even if they don't want it at home sites there should be some sort of change and more of a reward for getting a #1 seed. I mean what kind of reward was it for Miami to have to play Providence in Providence. Maybe the #1 seed gets to host at a suitable arena close to the school for us it could be Fargo, Minnesota would have the X, Providence would have the arena the regional was at this year, etc. I noticed 2 NCHC teams voted for the change so I wonder who the other one was besides UND. I also wonder who the other teams were to vote to change the regionals I would guess Minnesota was one as I believe Lucia has spoken out against the current system a few times.

Seeing as Duluth has been submitting bids for the IAmSoiled arena to host, I'd guess it was them.

I am dumbfounded that more coaches aren't in favor of the plan.

The NCAA went to a 16 team format for the 2002-03 season.  If, at that point, we had let the 4 top seeds host a four team regional in their home rink, here are the schools who would have hosted, and the number of times they would have hosted:

Minnesota - 7

BC - 6

UND - 5

Miami - 4

3 times

UNH

BU

Michigan

DU

Wisconsin

Notre Dame

2 times

Union

CC

1 time

Cornell

Maine

Mich. St.

Clarkson

Yale

Quinnipiac

Mass-Lowell

Mankato

Knowing that, I'm not surprised by the vote.  There would have been 52 total host site regionals. 40 of them hosted by just 10 schools.

Knowing that, I'm not surprised by the vote.  There would have been 52 total host site regionals. 40 of them hosted by just 10 schools.

Yup, that explains the vote. 

59 hockey schools: 10 primary benefactors, 49 not so much. 

Yup, that explains the vote. 

59 hockey schools: 10 primary benefactors, 49 not so much. 

I wonder if the results would be much different if we did this exercise using the actual host sites during the same time-frame.  It seems like the same couple schools/site are the primary benefactors in the current format.  Providence, South Bend and Worcester seem to be the hosts every year and I'm guessing there were less than the 20 different sites under the top-seed scenario.

Just playing devils advocate but it seems like a handful of schools are going to be the primary beneficiaries no matter what the system is so why not play in front of a crowd?  It's probably not every going to ever happen but I would just settle for having more than one regional west of the Mississippi every once and awhile.

I wonder if the results would be much different if we did this exercise using the actual host sites during the same time-frame.  It seems like the same couple schools/site are the primary benefactors in the current format.  Providence, South Bend and Worcester seem to be the hosts every year and I'm guessing there were less than the 20 different sites under the top-seed scenario.

Just playing devils advocate but it seems like a handful of schools are going to be the primary beneficiaries no matter what the system is so why not play in front of a crowd?  It's probably not every going to ever happen but I would just settle for having more than one regional west of the Mississippi every once and awhile.

By my count, and if you include BSU and Minnesota as both being "west of the Mississippi", there are 11 of the 59 teams west of the Mississippi, and 11 of the 52 regional games have been played west of the Mississippi, again counting the Twin Cities.

We, out west, have to remember the big geographical differences between east and west.

There have been 26 eastern regionals and 26 western regionals under the 16 team format.

The east has done a better(?) job of putting them in just a couple of locations.  This probably has more to do with the availability of large arenas out east than anything else.

East

Worchester - 7

Manchester - 6

Albany - 4

Bridgeport - 4

Providence - 3

Rochester - 1

Amherst - 1

That's basically 5 different arenas that host out east.

West

Grand Rapids - 5

Minneapolis - 3

St. Paul - 3

Green Bay - 3

Colorado Springs - 2

Ann Arbor, Grand Forks, Denver, Madison, Fort Wayne, St. Louis, Toledo, Cincinnati, Fargo and South Bend, once each.

The NCAA went to a 16 team format for the 2002-03 season. If, at that point, we had let the 4 top seeds host a four team regional in their home rink, here are the schools who would have hosted, and the number of times they would have hosted:

Minnesota - 7

BC - 6

UND - 5

Miami - 4

3 times

UNH

BU

Michigan

DU

Wisconsin

Notre Dame

2 times

Union

CC

1 time

Cornell

Maine

Mich. St.

Clarkson

Yale

Quinnipiac

Mass-Lowell

Mankato

And how many regionals (under the current system) have BC, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. hosted since 2002-2003 anyways?