SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 bracket challenge

jimdahl

OK, before everyone jumps on me, I know KRACH numbers mean nothing in an "absolute" sense; they are used for "relative" comparisons. I get that.

However, if you take the (rounded to whole number) KRACH numbers for the teams (from this site or USCHO) and put them together by regional you get:

South Bend Regional: 1066 (<-- RIT's KRACH of 43 really hurts MSUM's 523 contribution)

Manchester Regional: 1143

Providence Regional: 1180

Fargo Regional: 1373

So using those relative numbers for a relative comparison, that says to me the toughest regional is the Western (Fargo). 

OK, before everyone jumps on me, I know KRACH numbers mean nothing in an "absolute" sense; they are used for "relative" comparisons. I get that.

However, if you take the (rounded to whole number) KRACH numbers for the teams (from this site or USCHO) and put them together by regional you get:

South Bend Regional: 1066 (<-- RIT's KRACH of 43 really hurts MSUM's 523 contribution)

Manchester Regional: 1143

Providence Regional: 1180

Fargo Regional: 1373

So using those relative numbers for a relative comparison, that says to me the toughest regional is the Western (Fargo). 

With my usual disclaimer that I'm not a mathematician, given that we care about the ratios between the numbers I'd be tempted to find the average team strength by taking a geometric mean (e.g. the 4th root of the product of them all, rather than the sum of them all). That would give:

East (Providence): 284

Midwest (South Bend): 193

West (Fargo): 327

Northeast (Manchester): 276

If an appropriate way to average them, that would make an even more convincing case of the strength of the Fargo regional. 

I made a slight change that might help with that. Previously the link above my post was working on iPhone while the one below the post wasn't.

This is pretty much how I picture what it must be like to control the board here at SiouxSports...

hqdefault.jpg

How does the pt system work (per round)?

We calculate both straight (number of picks correct) and performance (correct picks earn 1 pt in regional semifinals, 2 pts in regional finals, 4 pts in Frozen Four semifinals, and 8 pts in Frozen Four final).

The one that goes into the history books is the winner of the performance scoring. So, get the national champ right!

I too am struggling to avoid a BU-BC final..... :sad:

UND will take down BU, and Providence will knock out BC. UND will take out Mankato in the finale! #8

Sidenote: can you imagine being a BC or BU fan if they played eachother for the title in Boston. Crazy!

Sidenote: can you imagine being a BC or BU fan if they played eachother for the title in Boston. Crazy!

Sidenote X 2: can you imagine SiouxSports.com if Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, or Nebraska Omaha wins the whole thing? jimdahl will have to shut 'er down for a month!

gfhockey, on 25 Mar 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

I think if Omaha wins it this place gets shut down

Blais knows how to win big games

So when Hak lost in the conference tournaments they were big games but Blais continuing to fail to even make it out of the first round does not qualify as big games. 

Logic checks out.

• Upvote 2

Sidenote X 2: can you imagine SiouxSports.com if Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, or Nebraska Omaha wins the whole thing? jimdahl will have to shut 'er down for a month!

If an NCHC team can't win it*, I'm rooting for Mankato or Tech.  I think Omaha continues their Zombo-less slide and drops an egg in their game.

*This does not apply to Denver.  I hope they whoop BC and then promptly lose the next game.

I think if Omaha wins it this place gets shut down

Blais knows how to win big games

The way Omaha has cooled off and the way Harvard has heated up. I would be surprised to see Omaha do much. Doesn't mean they cant, but the need zombo and massa to play, and a lot of guys to get back to what they were doing. That being said, Harvard wins and Mankato wins the region.

The way Omaha has cooled off and the way Harvard has heated up. I would be surprised to see Omaha do much. Doesn't mean they cant, but the need zombo and massa to play, and a lot of guys to get back to what they were doing. That being said, Harvard wins and Mankato wins the region.

Come on now, losing arguably your best player shouldn't effect the overall team success. At least it wouldn't make any difference for the Sioux, it'd still be Hak's fault because he can't win the big one.

Come on now, losing arguably your best player shouldn't effect the overall team success. At least it wouldn't make any difference for the Sioux, it'd still be Hak's fault because he can't win the big one.

Haha, well I'm not one of those to blame Hak for anything. He has done a tremendous job over his tenure. Who can blame him for '11. That one will always hurt.

Since when does momentum or lack thereof going into the tourney have any bearing on the outcome whatsoever?  Total crapshoot.  

Since when does momentum or lack thereof going into the tourney have any bearing on the outcome whatsoever?  Total crapshoot.  

Not necessarily.  Teams that miss out on their conference tourneys often still do well.  Teams that win 2 games of their last 11?  Not so much...

Brad mentioned in an article that Zombo may actually be back, but Harvard has been red hot lately.

Fighting Sioux over BC in the title game (sweet revenge)

Hopefully !@#!$ Minnesota can limp out of their regional, so we can kick their ass too on the way to #8

Oh and hoping SCSU can win their first game, so we can curb stomp them too....

post-9899-0-25048800-1427388542_thumb.pn