SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

The MWC got 3 teams in, wouldn't it be great to be in that conference. Nice to see Wyoming in it.

Their best player, Larry Nance, was out with mono...along with another good player. Tough stretch slid the Pokes to fourth place going into the MWC tournament. I was happy, but not overly surprised when they won it. They are healthy and could surprise Northern Iowa.

The CSU Rams coach was overly optomistic about being a lock for the NCAAs. (At UW.. we say CSewe.) CSU got hosed...but is that any surprise coming from the NCAA?

MSU-Moorhead is going to the DII Elite 8. Safe to say that UND is at the very most, just the 3rd best college basketball program in the Red River Valley......

Well they did beat UND fairly easily in a closed door controlled scrimmage and took it to NDSU in their joint practice sessions. So yeah, pretty fair statement.

I have a few upsets, Buffalo, Valpo, Georgia St and Eastern Washington. I hope we see the "little" guy take down the majors.

I always enjoy the first weekend of the NCAAs.  Those are the kind of upsets that make it fun! 

Hope to see UND pull one off soon. 

Sometimes division II success isn't necessarily all that impressive, if the successful team is comprised largely of transfers, many of whom are only playing division II due to being non-qualifiers. But Moorhead's top four scorers are high school recruits from the likes of Moorhead, Staples, Red Wing and Braham. The job Walthall has done at a school where it's not exactly easy to win is nothing short of incredible.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/03/17/ncaa-tournament-march-madness-coaches-pregame-rituals-holtmann-matta/24898241/

Miles has an elaborate pregame ritual, one that includes finding a penny that may or may not be pre-arranged for his benefit.

"If I'm lucky, I'll find a lucky penny with its heads up, then I know for sure we're going to have a good game," Miles says. "Usually the student managers know if I've found one or not. I'm guessing on occasion there might be one planted somewhere in my vision. We've won and lost with or without them, so that's not the most important thing. But the lucky penny helps."

Miles also relies on lucky numbers. He visits with his team with 7:07 left on the clock before the game — because seven is his lucky number. He never ventures out onto the court until he's seen 3:29 on the countdown clock, either. That tradition dates back to his first-ever head coaching job.

"When I walked into the Mayville State gym at my first home game, the clock said 3:29 left in warm-ups," he says. "So I leave the locker room and make sure I see 3:29 before every game."

Although it's not an exhaustive list, here's an interesting compilation of coaches' pay and incentives for reaching and winning games in the NCAA tournament: http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-basketball/march-madness-coach-incentives/?currentRecord=1

Couple things. Surprising to see where Roy Williams is at. Secondly, depending on this tourney, Ben Jacobson is about to get paid.

I like Eastern Washington to pull of the upset. Should be a good game. Deffinitely cheering for the Zags to crush the Bison. I will be cheering for my team, the Blue Devils, but I have Kentucky beating Iowa State for the Championship to pull off the perfect season.

ESPN tried hard but I still hate Christian Laettner.

Although it's not an exhaustive list, here's an interesting compilation of coaches' pay and incentives for reaching and winning games in the NCAA tournament: http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-basketball/march-madness-coach-incentives/?currentRecord=1

Faison really going out on a limb putting $9162 bonus in there for Jones to win the title.   Almost seems like he's committing the break room coffee fund to come up with the needed dollars, considering the odd number there.    I don't think he has to worry though.

Faison really going out on a limb putting $9162 bonus in there for Jones to win the title.   Almost seems like he's committing the break room coffee fund to come up with the needed dollars, considering the odd number there.  

Or maybe ... 10% of base salary.