SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

I think Mauer still has 3 full years on his contract; not sure how long Sano's current deal is for...Twins should pay Sano; they wasted enough money on Nolasco, Santana, and Hughes. 

Sano has only been up for a couple of months. He should have 3 years before he gets arbitration. Those are probably under $1 million per year. When he hits arbitration his numbers will go up. Estimates would be $7, $14 and $21 million per year for the next 3 years, so his salary wouldn't approach Mauer's until 2021. Or the Twins could try to balance out the contract and save a few dollars long term by giving him a guaranteed contract soon. They might even be able to buy out a year or 2 of free agency at a slightly lower rate by doing that.

Sano has only been up for a couple of months. He should have 3 years before he gets arbitration. Those are probably under $1 million per year. When he hits arbitration his numbers will go up. Estimates would be $7, $14 and $21 million per year for the next 3 years, so his salary wouldn't approach Mauer's until 2021. Or the Twins could try to balance out the contract and save a few dollars long term by giving him a guaranteed contract soon. They might even be able to buy out a year or 2 of free agency at a slightly lower rate by doing that.

You'd think, but the failed to do so with Dozier and skipped out on buying any of his free agency years.???

You'd think, but the failed to do so with Dozier and skipped out on buying any of his free agency years.???

Dozier was 25 in his rookie year,  Sano is 22.  That makes a huge difference.  Dozier will be 31 when his current deal is up.  It is understandable that the Twins didn't want to lock him up any further.

Dozier was 25 in his rookie year,  Sano is 22.  That makes a huge difference.  Dozier will be 31 when his current deal is up.  It is understandable that the Twins didn't want to lock him up any further.

I worded it poorly when I said buying out any of his free agency, I should have said getting team options on his first year or two of free agency, which is almost always how those deals go. But the point still stands, why buy out the rest of his arbitration years if you literally gain nothing from it? That is typically the trade off made in those situations, the player gets some security knowing that they have a long-term deal through their arbitration yeras, the team gets the advantage of having a club option on the first year or two of free agency. 

I worded it poorly when I said buying out any of his free agency, I should have said getting team options on his first year or two of free agency, which is almost always how those deals go. But the point still stands, why buy out the rest of his arbitration years if you literally gain nothing from it? That is typically the trade off made in those situations, the player gets some security knowing that they have a long-term deal through their arbitration yeras, the team gets the advantage of having a club option on the first year or two of free agency. 

A lot of times now the teams end up saving a few dollars on the arbitration years by signing the long term deals. The players are less likely to give up free agency years any more. That is especially true if the player is a little older when they come up, like Dozier. Younger players like Sano may be willing to give up 1 or 2 of those years. 30 is kind of the magic number for the end of the contract. The player is going to want to be right around 30, and not much older than that, at the end of the contract. History shows that the biggest free agency contracts come around the age of 30, and often start decreasing if they sign at about 32 or older. Length of big free agent contract also decreases at about 32 or older.

A lot of times now the teams end up saving a few dollars on the arbitration years by signing the long term deals. The players are less likely to give up free agency years any more. That is especially true if the player is a little older when they come up, like Dozier. Younger players like Sano may be willing to give up 1 or 2 of those years. 30 is kind of the magic number for the end of the contract. The player is going to want to be right around 30, and not much older than that, at the end of the contract. History shows that the biggest free agency contracts come around the age of 30, and often start decreasing if they sign at about 32 or older. Length of big free agent contract also decreases at about 32 or older.

I definitely get why Dozier wouldn't have wanted to give up a year or two but I'm not so certain the Twins are going to save much if anything. I guess they know for a fact what Dozier will cost the next 3 years instead of dealing with arbitration but it just seemed like a somewhat poor decision by them.  Even Dozier and his agent admitted the deal was not normal.

Dozier and his agent, Damon Lapa, acknowledged the atypical, seemingly one-sided nature of the deal at the press conference announcing the contract. Lapa was quick to point out that they avoided giving up any additional years of team control to the Twins and Dozier called "this type of contract ... very rare" because it contained "no options, no free agent years." Dozier got what he wanted, which was life-changing money, and he didn't even have to pay the usual toll.

I definitely get why Dozier wouldn't have wanted to give up a year or two but I'm not so certain the Twins are going to save much if anything. I guess they know for a fact what Dozier will cost the next 3 years instead of dealing with arbitration but it just seemed like a somewhat poor decision by them.  Even Dozier and his agent admitted the deal was rare.

If Dozier continues to play the way he has the Twins will have saved quite a bit of money on his arbitration years.

Looking at a Sano contract is extremely premature at this point. As I believe 82Sioux said, they have at least two years of control at less than a million year plus arbitration doesn't normally end in too crazy of a salary. Look at Josh Donaldson. He is looking at 11 million in his first year of arbitration but he is also likely to win the MVP this year. The Twins have Sano and Buxton for at least 6 years still with fairly team friendly contracts. That will allow bad contracts like Nolasco, Santana, and Mauer (it was good when he could catch) to come off of the books. The future is bright in Minnesota. They have Berrios to look forward to as well as he is currently destroying AAA and all of the writers at Fangraphs (some very smart people) are livid that they are not calling Berrios up now.

With the win last night, the Twins will avoid losing 90+ games.  A game back of the 2nd Wild Card Spot of the Rangers and 4.5 back of the 1st Wild Card Spot of the Yankees.  Lots of teams still with a legit shot (outside of the A's and Tigers) to get into the 1 game wild card playoff.

Never too early to think about it but I think the team next year will have some big decision they will have to make about the rotation and bullpen.