SiouxSports.com Forum

More Summit movement?

Dagger

I hear where you are coming from. When looking at the map, couldn't believe how much of an eastern outlier YSU is. Losing them would definitely shift the MVFC to the west.

Grand Valley State would be perfect for the Slummit and MVFC, if any of Youngstown, Mo St, I'll St, Ind St, UNI get an FBS invite. Football is big at GVSU, and they can't drop it like Omaha.

The SL before the Dakota's joined (2006-07 season):

Valpo  (left the next year)

Centenary  (left in 2011 for DIII)

SUU (left in 2012)

UMKC (left in 2013) 
Oakland (left in 2013)

WIU

Oral Roberts (left in 2012)  (rejoined in 2014)

IUPUI

So unsteady. If the Dakota 3 left, that conference would become the Great West 2.0 which would scare me if UND were to join the SL. Who would say the SU's, Omaha, Denver, or anyone else would stay. We already saw ORU leave once, who says they would stay permanently.

The SL before the Dakota's joined (2006-07 season):

Valpo (left the next year)

Centenary (left in 2011 for DIII)

SUU (left in 2012)

UMKC (left in 2013)

Oakland (left in 2013)

WIU

Oral Roberts (left in 2012) (rejoined in 2014)

IUPUI

So unsteady. If the Dakota 3 left, that conference would become the Great West 2.0 which would scare me if UND were to join the SL. Who would say the SU's, Omaha, Denver, or anyone else would stay. We already saw ORU leave once, who says they would stay permanently.

Invite the Montana's... ;-)

Invite the Montana's... ;-)

Sure... They would want to leave the solid, stable conference they were founding members of to join the revolving door now known as the Summit. ;-)

If UND were to replace someone like Youngstown, that would put 5 Summit Teams in the MVFC. The MVC schools do not want to share control of the football conference with their "weak sister", the Summit League. On the other hand, if there were 5 Summit teams in one conference, it would only take one more (UNC?) to form a Summit Football League. Can you say NCC 2.0?. Again, something the MVC members of the MVFC do not want, since it would leave only of half their teams. So, despite Herd's assertion that UND would be able to get an invite to the MVFC, there are indeed obstacles to overcome.

Grand Valley State would be perfect for the Slummit and MVFC, if any of Youngstown, Mo St, I'll St, Ind St, UNI get an FBS invite. Football is big at GVSU, and they can't drop it like Omaha.

Other than the fact that GV is DII, have no intention of moving, and would require 5 years to transition . . . Ya perfect. GV owns und, so that would be another reason for und to stay out of the SL/MVFC.

Other than the fact that GV is DII, have no intention of moving, and would require 5 years to transition . . . Ya perfect. GV owns und, so that would be another reason for und to stay out of the SL/MVFC.

Grand Valley and UND consistently met in the playoffs when UND and FU were DII. I understand FU not being familiar with GV.

• Upvote 1

That was over 10 years ago and we did beat them in two big games (the 2001 national title game and a 2004 national quarterfinal game in Grand Forks), so don't count your chickens before they are hatched on that one.

And who knows what their intentions are?  They could be discussing a possible Division I move in the future, especially with all the talk of realigning divisions.

UND is 2-4 against GV, I guess that would mean UND owns NDSU. :whistling:

We can't talk about that Summit school because they did the unthinkable -- they dropped football and wrestling (two programs that needed significant subsidies at that particular school*) and went with ice hockey (something that may have a shot at gating expenses there*) instead. 

*This sentence only speaks to circumstance at a particular school, interests, and fan base. Your mileage may vary. 

Gene Taylor may be the man tasked with bringing hockey to Iowa. With a new rink proposed for Coralville, something is up. Just imagine how that will bring down Taylor's legacy on Bville.

I don't think that would be bad. Big Ten schools can afford to do whatever they want.

In bizon eyes, that is treasonous to go to a higher level, only to start hockey.

Only about 10% of bisonville likes hockey. The majority claim they hate it.

Bison fans don't hate hockey, but they understand that starting hockey would equate to not funding our other sports appropriately at the DI level.  I'd rather see BB funded at a higher level and coaches paid in the 300-500 range to keep them from moving too quickly.  Also, NDSU needs to keep its sports offerings lean to be able to pay stipends for all sports, which will be the required recipe to compete in DI.   Lots of sports, most with no stipends, and not paying coaches is the recipe to being an also ran in DI.   If your other sports are underfunded with poor coaching salaries, it makes you wonder if the DII model with DI hockey, like Duluth and SC is the better model.

Say what you want, but that's the opinion of most bison fans.  Hockey does not benefit the university's overall athletic department.  BB and watching the football landscape for the future are the key considerations.

• 1 month later...

Bison fans don't hate hockey, but they understand that starting hockey would equate to not funding our other sports appropriately at the DI level. I'd rather see BB funded at a higher level and coaches paid in the 300-500 range to keep them from moving too quickly. Also, NDSU needs to keep its sports offerings lean to be able to pay stipends for all sports, which will be the required recipe to compete in DI. Lots of sports, most with no stipends, and not paying coaches is the recipe to being an also ran in DI. If your other sports are underfunded with poor coaching salaries, it makes you wonder if the DII model with DI hockey, like Duluth and SC is the better model.

Say what you want, but that's the opinion of most bison fans. Hockey does not benefit the university's overall athletic department. BB and watching the football landscape for the future are the key considerations.

There is a chorus line on bizonville that sings hockey sucks every time it comes up. Guess their not bison fans then?

There is a chorus line on bizonville that sings hockey sucks every time it comes up. Guess their not bison fans then?

Some people like hockey some don't. Making generalizations about fans bases doesnt really matter, but go ahead if you must.

What matters is your ability to fund sports so you can have success in DI. Clearly hockey is a financial drag on the two major national sports, and has no place in ndsu's current model. Adding hockey would be a negative, regardless of your like or dislike of the sport.