SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

Been to four nattys in a row, thinking of getting back to nature, wanna forfeit a years worth of apartment rent on four tickets to help me fund my trip darryls?

"nattys", eh? Interesting choice of words. Seems you and gfhockey have that in common. Anything else?

Umm everyone says nattys

Buccigross says it to

Yes I made it up

People follow me

I don't see anything wrong with calling them Nattys or NC's,   I just wish we'd win one once in a while.  Are you listening hockey and football?

• Upvote 1

Where's the Forums classless editorializing about high football ticket prices? When the last UND-Bizon game had tickets for $27.50, the Forum was outraged and called UND to lower the cost. They also managed to insult the Alerus Center for not having a totally brick exterior.

But now, when NDSU has more than doubled the price, the Forum is totally content. Self-serving douches.

• Upvote 4

Where's the Forums classless editorializing about high football ticket prices? When the last UND-Bizon game had tickets for $27.50, the Forum was outraged and called UND to lower the cost. They also managed to insult the Alerus Center for not having a totally brick exterior.

But now, when NDSU has more than doubled the price, the Forum is totally content. Self-serving douches.

Yep. The Forum sucks. You will get no argument.

I have two kids currently enrolled at UND and there is plenty of animosity toward NDSU from them. They also hate UM in hockey and we aren't in the same conference there either.

That animosity probably comes from dad. Same way it is with my family.

That animosity probably comes from dad. Same way it is with my family.

Nope.  They experienced it first hand.  The arrogance and entitlement of SU fans at past fb games and at vb and bb games since they have been at UND really turned them off.  Their friends at UND feel the same way and many of them have no family ties to UND.

Just because you say that students today don't care about the college that is 75 miles away doesn't make it true.  At a minimum they have hs classmates that attend the other school which makes the rivalry real.

Nope. They experienced it first hand. The arrogance and entitlement of SU fans at past fb games and at vb and bb games since they have been at UND really turned them off. Their friends at UND feel the same way and many of them have no family ties to UND.

Just because you say that students today don't care about the college that is 75 miles away doesn't make it true. At a minimum they have hs classmates that attend the other school which makes the rivalry real.

If your kids are in college, that means I can reasonably assume they are my age or younger. Last time the schools played I was 11. Your kids probably couldn't spell arrogance or entitlement the last time the schools played. Again, they don't like NDSU because dad taught them.

The rivalry is so unbelievably real that I've had friends from up there ask every year if I can get them football tickets. They like to come cheer on the herd.

If your kids are in college, that means I can reasonably assume they are my age or younger. Last time the schools played I was 11. Your kids probably couldn't spell arrogance or entitlement the last time the schools played. Again, they don't like NDSU because dad taught them.

The rivalry is so unbelievably real that I've had friends from up there ask every year if I can get them football tickets. They like to come cheer on the herd.

You do realize that every time you post here you undermine your stance that the rivalry doesn't exist or that it is dead.  How much time do you spend on the SDSU and NIU fan sites?

Not sure how you explain my son's roommate who is from Pittsburgh and has no ties to the area and dislikes everything NDSU - but whatever makes you feel better.   They really only need to experience one bb game to get it and they have played every year lately.

My kids are pretty smart as evidenced by their college choice.  I'm sure they could spell both words by that time.  

The rivalry is still very much so alive. Not playing NDSU directly in football has hurt the rivalry some, but annual games in basketball and volleyball certainly has kept it going.

With UND playing NDSU this upcoming season in football, the status of the rivalry is only going to escalate.

You do realize that every time you post here you undermine your stance that the rivalry doesn't exist or that it is dead. How much time do you spend on the SDSU and NIU fan sites?

Not sure how you explain my son's roommate who is from Pittsburgh and has no ties to the area and dislikes everything NDSU - but whatever makes you feel better. They really only need to experience one bb game to get it and they have played every year lately.

My kids are pretty smart as evidenced by their college choice. I'm sure they could spell both words by that time.

I am on forums. I don't represent a person with average interest in collegiate sports.

Funny you mention the basketball games. The first couple had some atmosphere. The last 3 have not. At all.

Ask the average college kid about the other school and you'll get a lot of comments like "ohhh.. That's right. We aren't supposed to like them."

You do realize that every time you post here you undermine your stance that the rivalry doesn't exist or that it is dead.  How much time do you spend on the SDSU and NIU fan sites?

Not sure how you explain my son's roommate who is from Pittsburgh and has no ties to the area and dislikes everything NDSU - but whatever makes you feel better.   They really only need to experience one bb game to get it and they have played every year lately.

My kids are pretty smart as evidenced by their college choice.  I'm sure they could spell both words by that time.  

Honestly, why does it matter so much whether UND is NDSU's biggest rival or not? Is that much of the self-image and self-worth of UND football fans really tied up in a rivalry that hasn't been played for over a decade?

What have you people been doing for the last ten years? Football must have been pretty damn boring without NDSU to give your program purpose.

I am on forums. I don't represent a person with average interest in collegiate sports.

Funny you mention the basketball games. The first couple had some atmosphere. The last 3 have not. At all.

Ask the average college kid about the other school and you'll get a lot of comments like "ohhh.. That's right. We aren't supposed to like them."

The last two basketball games have been ass kickings that were over in the first 10 minutes.  They were pretty one sided.  I would argue with you that the FU crowd was not in the game vs. UND this year at Scheels arena. 

The UND-NDSU rivalry certainly isn't what is was, but it also would not take much to get back to that same level. There is enough family history with many of the students, that a couple of good games would really re-ignite the rivalry. Clearly the schools know that this is a big game with high demand, or the price of the ticket wouldn't be justified.

NDSU is obviously the stronger football school right now, nobody is arguing that. But if UND found a way to win, or even make it a close game, that would go a long way in getting things going between fans again. Also, can't one of your Alumni just pony up the cash to get you guys a hockey team? You could play in the Scheels arena and there are certainly plenty of hockey fans in the region. I would love to see that happen, and to create a hockey rivalry there. Didn't take too long for Penn St to get competitive (though they are playing in the B10 Intramural League).

I remember hearing about Minnesota losing to Wisconsin back when Wisco had a club team. All it takes is a crazy game like that for a rivalry to really get going. Make this an annual football game, get the Nickel back out; and get NDSU a hockey team!

The UND-NDSU rivalry certainly isn't what is was, but it also would not take much to get back to that same level. There is enough family history with many of the students, that a couple of good games would really re-ignite the rivalry. Clearly the schools know that this is a big game with high demand, or the price of the ticket wouldn't be justified.

NDSU is obviously the stronger football school right now, nobody is arguing that. But if UND found a way to win, or even make it a close game, that would go a long way in getting things going between fans again. Also, can't one of your Alumni just pony up the cash to get you guys a hockey team? You could play in the Scheels arena and there are certainly plenty of hockey fans in the region. I would love to see that happen, and to create a hockey rivalry there. Didn't take too long for Penn St to get competitive (though they are playing in the B10 Intramural League).

I remember hearing about Minnesota losing to Wisconsin back when Wisco had a club team. All it takes is a crazy game like that for a rivalry to really get going. Make this an annual football game, get the Nickel back out; and get NDSU a hockey team!

Why does it take the letters NDSU to get UND fans excited? Now, you can't even be happy with your top-level hockey program? You need NDSU to generate interest there too?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

If someone ponied up and funded an NDSU DI mens hockey team folks would then start asking about womens hockey to balance out Title IX.

And then folks would start to wonder how NDSU can operate in today's world with just 129 female student-athletes in total on campus, or how NDSU can have 8 mens sports (including football and wrestling) but only 8 womens sports (with far smaller rosters) and claim equity. 

So no, hockey at NDSU won't happen. 

• Upvote 1

If someone ponied up and funded an NDSU DI mens hockey team folks would then start asking about womens hockey to balance out Title IX.

And then folks would start to wonder how NDSU can operate in today's world with just 129 female student-athletes in total on campus, or how NDSU can have 8 mens sports (including football and wrestling) but only 8 womens sports (with far smaller rosters) and claim equity. 

So no, hockey at NDSU won't happen. 

...and NDSU fans, by and large, don't want one anyway.

Why does it take the letters NDSU to get UND fans excited? Now, you can't even be happy with your top-level hockey program? You need NDSU to generate interest there too?

Already happy with our hockey program, but it would be a blast to have NDSU pick up the sport. I'm all about expanding college hockey whether it is more B10 schools, PAC schools or NDSU. My preference would be NDSU, as it is local and there is already history there.

The one comparison that can be made that might reveal something.    You can  go over and check BV if your curious, but I would say that rarely(or not very often)   does a UND fan post on BV,  but there are tons and tons  of posts by NDSU fans  on this website.   It is not even close which fan base is more concerned about the other.  It is very apparent that the fans to the south have UND on their minds all the time.  I guess it is safe to say that NDSU fans think the rivalry is very much alive.

• Upvote 4

Already happy with our hockey program, but it would be a blast to have NDSU pick up the sport. I'm all about expanding college hockey whether it is more B10 schools, PAC schools or NDSU. My preference would be NDSU, as it is local and there is already history there.

Don't hold your breath, it's probably never going to happen. Even if NDSU wanted such a program, which it doesn't, it would take many years to develop.

Any money spent on hockey would be far better spent on football and basketball.

The one comparison that can be made that might reveal something.    You can  go over and check BV if your curious, but I would say that rarely(or not very often)   does a UND fan post on BV,  but there are tons and tons  of posts by NDSU fans  on this website.   It is not even close which fan base is more concerned about the other.  It is very apparent that the fans to the south have UND on their minds all the time.  I guess it is safe to say that NDSU fans think the rivalry is very much alive.

Well, I guess that just indicates the current state of the two fan bases. Obviously, NDSU fans have a whole lot more to talk about.

Honestly, why does it matter so much whether UND is NDSU's biggest rival or not? Is that much of the self-image and self-worth of UND football fans really tied up in a rivalry that hasn't been played for over a decade?

What have you people been doing for the last ten years? Football must have been pretty damn boring without NDSU to give your program purpose.

It doesn't really matter except when some push the notion that 'we don't care about you and have moved on'. It's a passive aggressive way to say you are superior to UND.  

If you and your friends go away and never post here again we will know you have moved on.  Until that happens you are showing your hypocrisy.