SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UNO

AZSIOUX

How the times have changed.  We have been to Omaha every year since UNO joined the WCHA.  That first year the UNO fans were friendly, made a point to welcome us and talk to us, just so happy to have UND come to Omaha to play hockey.  That attitude is long gone.  Now it is North Dakota Hate Week.  That is not a bad thing.  It just shows that they are not satisfied with simply being in the same conference.  See you in Omaha,

How the times have changed.  We have been to Omaha every year since UNO joined the WCHA.  That first year the UNO fans were friendly, made a point to welcome us and talk to us, just so happy to have UND come to Omaha to play hockey.  That attitude is long gone.  Now it is North Dakota Hate Week.  That is not a bad thing.  It just shows that they are not satisfied with simply being in the same conference.  See you in Omaha,

It's crazy what an NCAA tournament appearance will do to a fanbase.

here is a mavpuck.com quote : I believe NCAA tourney-caliber teams should win at home and split on the road.
That doesn't mean we should win one at home and lose one at home. That means, this weekend, Omaha should SWEEP North Dakota (sorry, Bridget).
We have the home-ice advantage over a team that is one point behind us in the conference standings.
This weekend has nothing to do with past history with North Dakota. It has everything to do with PWR 2 at PWR 3 (tied).
Are we good enough to beat North Dakota at home twice this weekend, or not? If not, why not?
http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9816

I like this, UNO is a good team and extremely fast, however if we bring our A game we could sweep because we are just better than them, however realistically I see a split, Friday loss, Sat  win has been our MO this season...a win and a tie wouild be better with a shoot out victory to get a little payback

• Upvote 1

Agree with the split. I wonder where all the und fans are that were mocking blais late last year and also picking them to be a poor team this year. I posted late last year that I thought uno would be a very good team this year based on their good incoming recruits and several regular posters slightly mocked me for saying such a thing. Looks like blais has his boys playing. Just saying.

Additionally, look at the stats page for his team, they're all freshman and sophomores. Scary.

Either way, go Sioux!.

• Upvote 1

Agree with the split. I wonder where all the und fans are that were mocking blais late last year and also picking them to be a poor team this year. I posted late last year that I thought uno would be a very good team this year based on their good incoming recruits and several regular posters slightly mocked me for saying such a thing. Looks like blais has his boys playing. Just saying.

Additionally, look at the stats page for his team, they're all freshman and sophomores. Scary.

Either way, go Sioux!.

Starman basically said UNO's biggest asset this weekend was Blais and the work ethic he instills in his teams.

Dean likes to prevent entry into the offensive zone and gives his D full permission to hit anyone as they come across the blue line as long as numbers are even. I'm afraid this is the series we learn the hard way how beneficial Stetcher's ability to gain the zone is to this team (assuming he is officially out). With that said, it is a great opportunity for Poolman, Ausmus, and even Mattson to take a step forward in this area.

Dean likes to prevent entry into the offensive zone and gives his D full permission to hit anyone as they come across the blue line as long as numbers are even. I'm afraid this is the series we learn the hard way how beneficial Stetcher's ability to gain the zone is to this team (assuming he is officially out). With that said, it is a great opportunity for Poolman, Ausmus, and even Mattson to take a step forward in this area.

Keaton showed a couple of good carries into the zone on Saturday night so hopefully he continues to play with that confidence.

It will probably be a dump and chase kind of game, they won't get the perfect scoring opportunites or the pretty setups. They need to get pucks to the net and look for rebound opportunities.

I am betting that Stecher plays this weekend.

My head says split

my heart says sweep

my gut says series win.

Im going with my heart and my green shaded glasses. Sweep!

I feel win we Saturday 4-2, Friday will be huge UNO will be amped up we have to come out on fire and shut them down, if we can do that we will sweep WE ARE THE BETTER TEAM

• Upvote 1

Going through stats a little bit (yes, I know stats aren't everything) for my blog and I think this UNO team may be slightly overrated. They're ok offensively at 15th in the nation, 3.04 GPG, average defensively 26th 2.46 allowed and below average special teams. Great goaltending despite a 30 shots per game allowed.

Don't get me wrong, I think UNO is good. I really do. But, they are relying on a young group that hasn't played in the bright lights of a huge series. Can this young group keep playing like vets? Giving up 30 shots to UND this weekend would be a mistake.

On the other hand.... our vets are playing like vets, right now.

• Upvote 1

Going through stats a little bit (yes, I know stats aren't everything) for my blog and I think this UNO team may be slightly overrated. They're ok offensively at 15th in the nation, 3.04 GPG, average defensively 26th 2.46 allowed and below average special teams. Great goaltending despite a 30 shots per game allowed.

Don't get me wrong, I think UNO is good. I really do. But, they are relying on a young group that hasn't played in the bright lights of a huge series. Can this young group keep playing like vets? Giving up 30 shots to UND this weekend would be a mistake.

On the other hand.... our vets are playing like vets, right now.

Agreed.....but it seems we get out shot every week.  It used to be where we out shot everybody.  I've noticed that this year.  If you exclude LSSU and Niagra, we pretty much lose that battle.  Is this team a little too cute?  Who knows.

Agreed.....but it seems we get out shot every week.  It used to be where we out shot everybody.  I've noticed that this year.  If you exclude LSSU and Niagra, we pretty much lose that battle.  Is this team a little too cute?  Who knows.

That's a fair comment. We definitely CAN be a little too cute, but when we get to work and grind, that's when we are at our best. But UND is a +90 in shots this year. Omaha is -110... huge discrepancy. I don't think they can let us outshoot them big and expect to win games, this weekend.

I just see weekends like Alabama-Huntsville, New Hampshire and CC and I am not 100% sold on UNO. Sure, UND lost to BSU, struggled one night with LSSU and AF, but the thing is, we WON those games.

Obviously Omaha could run us out of Dodge and I'd shut my mouth, but I'm confident UND is the better team this weekend.

That's a fair comment. We definitely CAN be a little too cute, but when we get to work and grind, that's when we are at our best. But UND is a +90 in shots this year. Omaha is -110... huge discrepancy. I don't think they can let us outshoot them big and expect to win games, this weekend.

I just see weekends like Alabama-Huntsville, New Hampshire and CC and I am not 100% sold on UNO. Sure, UND lost to BSU, struggled one night with LSSU and AF, but the thing is, we WON those games.

Obviously Omaha could run us out of Dodge and I'd shut my mouth, but I'm confident UND is the better team this weekend.

We are +90 huh?  Intersting, it seems every game I've actually checked we have been behind.  I was at both games last weekend and CC was definitely outshooting us.  Many low quality shots however.

We are +90 huh?  Intersting, it seems every game I've actually checked we have been behind.  I was at both games last weekend and CC was definitely outshooting us.  Many low quality shots however.

Penn State is #1 in the country in shots and Robert Morris is #2.  Those two teams each have nearly 100 shots more than #3.  I'll take quality chance shots over the 'throw at the net and pray' approach. 

Penn State is #1 in the country in shots and Robert Morris is #2.  Those two teams each have nearly 100 shots more than #3.  I'll take quality chance shots over the 'throw at the net and pray' approach. 

To follow up on this, we are in fact #10 in the country in shots so not like we're struggling to put the puck on net :)

To follow up on this, we are in fact #10 in the country in shots so not like we're struggling to put the puck on net :)

A +90 is a good thing and I'm of the opinion that our shots are more quality than quantity. We've certainly had a couple games... NU and LSSU

come to mind... where we've had huge advantage so that doesn't tell the whole story, IMO. My point is that I don't think UNO wants to play a game with our D and goaltending where we put up 30 shots