SiouxSports.com Forum

Siouxsports.com Contribution to the High Performance Center

UND Fan

I was clearly responding to the post above mine: " It seems to have stalled for the past couple of weeks.  I hope they aren't running out of money."

I don't think things have stalled.  However, costs continue to rise due to the very strong construction demand.  They are needing to "move" some things from Phase I back to Phase II.

I just think they are moving very slowly when they have been telling us they want it enclosed for the winter.  I think they missed that goal.

Last I heard (4-5 weeks ago) is that they were planning on having it enclosed by Christmas.  I think the sides will go up very quickly and they only had one or two roof trusses to go last week.  The roofing looked like it was moving at a pretty good pace.  Not sure how much, if any, the early snow/cold weather/wind will slow them up.

Facility is on track thus far. I'm still optimistic it'll be ready for spring football practices, which would be fantastic!

I drove by today. They were sheeting the north end wall and about 25% of the roof is sheeted. No way is this thing ready for use by spring practice IMO........

I would like to see some siouxsports.com contributions to items upon Bubba's direction. Maybe uniforms, summer scholarship funds to keep players in town, advanced training equipment, can we start a fund for coach bonuses?? Save the HP center for foundations and guys that !@#$ gold bricks.( God bless those folks that do)

We all agree that the High Performance Center (HPC) will do a great deal to help UND’s football program along with T&F and other sports.  With the construction being completed in two phases, I am proposing that Siouxsports.com members collectively make a contribution to the HPC.  Details:

• I have asked the HPC folks and will ask Bubba what is not being included in Phase I that would really assist the FB program to have when the building opens.
  • I have asked the UND Foundation to accept these donations so they will be tax deductible.
  • The item or area would have a plaque reflecting it was funded by a contribution from ss.com.
  • Due to some very outspoken fans (including me at times), ss.com is not necessarily looked at with respect by some in the athletic department.  This could assist with our efforts to confirm we are true UND fans rather than a bunch of whiners and fair-weather fans.
  • I would hope that we could raise $10-12,000 but have no idea if that amount is feasible. 
  • If we can’t raise a reasonable amount, it doesn’t make sense to go through the effort.  Those of us who want to donate can do so directly.
  • It is inevitable that an SU fan or two will say they will kick in $5,000 or so.  I will try to determine whether a response is legitimate before adding it to the potential total.

The big question:

• Your thoughts on this?  The effort to raise funds for new uniforms did not turn out like many of us would have wanted but this would allow fans to donate whatever amount they could afford.

I would start the fund with a $1,000 contribution.  In an effort to determine the feasibility of raising a decent amount, I ask that you respond with an amount you are willing to donate.  You certainly don’t need to be specific if you prefer.  Simply stating “high or low 2 digits; high, mid or low 3 digits; etc. would be fine.  If you prefer to PM me, that is fine.    Obviously, we won’t “hold you” to any contribution amount. 

Any contribution amount would help – please let me know your thoughts in the next few days.  Of course, if you have any buddies who might be willing to contribute even if they aren’t active on ss.com, we wouldn’t turn down their $.

I will provide a periodic update of the responses and potential $ that could be contributed.

***  If this is successful, it would be cool to make a yearly contribution for something Bubba and the program could use.

It is apparent that there is not an appetite for making on donation to the HPC on behalf of ss.com members so we will discontinue the discussion. I thank those of you who offered to contribute and ask that you do so directly at https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1652/02-alumni/index.aspx?sid=1652&gid=2&pgid=794&cid=1761.

I think its probably a cross between people already donating money and it not being a specific item (at this point).  I also get that its hard to figure out what specifically to give to when you don't have a general idea on how much you will have to work with/offer.

• 6 months later...

We all agree that the High Performance Center (HPC) will do a great deal to help UND’s football program along with T&F and other sports.  With the construction being completed in two phases, I am proposing that Siouxsports.com members collectively make a contribution to the HPC.  Details:

• I have asked the HPC folks and will ask Bubba what is not being included in Phase I that would really assist the FB program to have when the building opens.
  • I have asked the UND Foundation to accept these donations so they will be tax deductible.
  • The item or area would have a plaque reflecting it was funded by a contribution from ss.com.
  • Due to some very outspoken fans (including me at times), ss.com is not necessarily looked at with respect by some in the athletic department.  This could assist with our efforts to confirm we are true UND fans rather than a bunch of whiners and fair-weather fans.
  • I would hope that we could raise $10-12,000 but have no idea if that amount is feasible. 
  • If we can’t raise a reasonable amount, it doesn’t make sense to go through the effort.  Those of us who want to donate can do so directly.
  • It is inevitable that an SU fan or two will say they will kick in $5,000 or so.  I will try to determine whether a response is legitimate before adding it to the potential total.

The big question:

• Your thoughts on this?  The effort to raise funds for new uniforms did not turn out like many of us would have wanted but this would allow fans to donate whatever amount they could afford.

I would start the fund with a $1,000 contribution.  In an effort to determine the feasibility of raising a decent amount, I ask that you respond with an amount you are willing to donate.  You certainly don’t need to be specific if you prefer.  Simply stating “high or low 2 digits; high, mid or low 3 digits; etc. would be fine.  If you prefer to PM me, that is fine.    Obviously, we won’t “hold you” to any contribution amount. 

Any contribution amount would help – please let me know your thoughts in the next few days.  Of course, if you have any buddies who might be willing to contribute even if they aren’t active on ss.com, we wouldn’t turn down their $.

I will provide a periodic update of the responses and potential $ that could be contributed.

***  If this is successful, it would be cool to make a yearly contribution for something Bubba and the program could use.

Guys - a few months ago I suggested the above - there were many positive responses but a limited number specifically agreed to contribute. I will run this by you one more time.

I know some things are being moved back to Phase II due to budgetary constraints.  I think it would be cool (and useful) if we could provide Bubba with something that he feels would valuable to the program now, rather than later.

Someone had asked whether Jim Dahl had any concerns about raising funds in this manner.  This was his response:

photo-3.png?_r=0

• Moderators
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

I have no problem with community fund-raising efforts. 

Please let me know if you have an interest in assisting some of us with this.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In the recent video update Faison said they have to "rethink" phase two, and they were about two years out from beginning construction.  He said they do not currently have the money for seating needed to complete phase one...   I think he is going to downsize phase two.

One good way to downsize Phase 2 would be to get himself and the rest of the AD out of there. Why they need to move into that facility is beyond me.

I remember seeing a diagram for phase two once (I don't remember where), but it only had a small handful of offices and things like a study center and locker rooms for the student athletes. Beyond those locker rooms and the such, i'm pretty sure the only offices going in there would be for compliance and academic services (and Faison I would assume). Those are only people who work with the student athletes directly, which should make it easier for the student athletes as it is poised to become a major hub for them with the locker rooms and study center. That diagram doesn't have nearly the number of offices to fit the entire athletic department, I would guess everyone else would stay where they are at the hyslop.

Phase 2 is important to the football program. It has the kind of coaching offices, locker rooms, and meeting/film rooms that all legitimate DI football programs need. NDSU, for example, has some very nice offices and meeting rooms in the Fargodome. UND and the athletic department need to get phase 2 completed, particularly for the sake of UND football and the goal of winning an FCS championship.

• Upvote 1