SiouxSports.com Forum

I know no politics

Vegas_Sioux

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/our-opinion-students-voting-was-not-easy-pie

The how to vote commercials aired for months, if students didn't do it when they were suppose to or vote absentee I don't feel for them.

I'm just glad that North Dakota was able to finally put an end to the rampant voter fraud that has plagued the state.

• Upvote 2

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/our-opinion-students-voting-was-not-easy-pie

The how to vote commercials aired for months, if students didn't do it when they were suppose to or vote absentee I don't feel for them.

The lady in front of me (est 50-55 years old) was trying to use an ID that had the wrong address and a copy of a bill.  They told her that wasn't sufficient any more and she had to go to the district where her ID was registered.  She threw a small hissy fit, finally declaring "Well! I'm just not voting then!" and stomped out the door.  I smiled at the shocked election worker, handed her my ID and said "I'll be much easier".  Afterward, I just kept wondering how this woman didn't understand what she needed for ID, or that she needed to update her ID after she had moved across town?

It's a good thing they did, too, or else Al Franken might have wound up being a Senator in TWO states.

Why wasn't voter fraud an issue this year?

There was no attempted measure to legalize marijuana in nd.....so there were no motivated ndsu students involved in a petition to get said measure on the ballot!

• Upvote 1

I don't recall my forefathers having to get these ID's to vote.   What's changed?

You have people voting in multiple districts, sometimes multiple states. You also have people that aren't citizens voting in elections as well. One person, one vote.

• Upvote 2

The North Dakota Legislature changed the rules after many years when you could walk up and vote with a utility bill or almost anything that had your address on it.  Most people weren't paying attention to that because they were so used to the ease of voting they had experienced before.  I don't know why so many people didn't expect this to cause problems.

You have people voting in multiple districts, sometimes multiple states. You also have people that aren't citizens voting in elections as well. One person, one vote.

I don't recall any problems in North Dakota with people voting in multiple districts.  This was a case of the Legislature creating a law to fix something that wasn't a problem.

You don't think that hasn't happened since this country was formed?  We've seemed to have gotten by for some 200 plus years.   Of course the sky is always falling for some.  This issue just seems to be another one of those skies.   I just can't believe that this was a pressing issue for the state of North Dakota.But leave it to the epically mornonic in our legislature to make it one or perceive it to be or want it to be.  

This of course was the same legislature that was actively considering that only and I mean only, abstinence should be taught in sex education in our schools.    Does anyone really think that we have a real pressing problem with sex education in our schools?  Abstinence is taught, as my kids just went through... but only teaching that...are they ostriches who have their head in the sand..uh what about the kids who are already past that point...what good is it then, to them?   Whether your republican or democrat- Lloyd Omdahl recently wrote something that rings true "this legislature is out of touch with its electorate"

Well, according to the Supreme Court of the United States, it is NOT a poll tax.  And it does not violate the constitution of the United States.  So while you can have your opinion, the law of the land proves you wrong.

And I will maintain my opinion just as I'm sure you don't agree with every Supreme Court ruling either.....

You don't think that hasn't happened since this country was formed?  We've seemed to have gotten by for some 200 plus years.   Of course the sky is always falling for some.  This issue just seems to be another one of those skies.   I just can't believe that this was a pressing issue for the state of North Dakota.But leave it to the epically mornonic in our legislature to make it one or perceive it to be or want it to be.  

This of course was the same legislature that was actively considering that only and I mean only, abstinence should be taught in sex education in our schools.    Does anyone really think that we have a real pressing problem with sex education in our schools?  Abstinence is taught, as my kids just went through... but only teaching that...are they ostriches who have their head in the sand..uh what about the kids who are already past that point...what good is it then, to them?   Whether your republican or democrat- Lloyd Omdahl recently wrote something that rings true "this legislature is out of touch with its electorate"

I think that is the case everywhere, or a least people feel that way when they don't agree with the legislature. 

You don't think that hasn't happened since this country was formed? We've seemed to have gotten by for some 200 plus years. Of course the sky is always falling for some. This issue just seems to be another one of those skies. I just can't believe that this was a pressing issue for the state of North Dakota.But leave it to the epically mornonic in our legislature to make it one or perceive it to be or want it to be.

This of course was the same legislature that was actively considering that only and I mean only, abstinence should be taught in sex education in our schools. Does anyone really think that we have a real pressing problem with sex education in our schools? Abstinence is taught, as my kids just went through... but only teaching that...are they ostriches who have their head in the sand..uh what about the kids who are already past that point...what good is it then, to them? Whether your republican or democrat- Lloyd Omdahl recently wrote something that rings true "this legislature is out of touch with its electorate"

I don't see the big deal with being required to show an I'd to prove that you are a valid voter. I have the right to vote just like I have the right to bear arms. But in order to purchase a firearm not only do I need to show id, I also have to go through a background check.

Should you have to go through a background check and have valid ID to purchase a fire arm? Not sure I believe in that. If you want a fire arm, a person should be able to get a firearm. Is this not America?

It is but now there a crazies out there that like to shoot up schools. So the government reacts with new laws. Obviously there is people out there that have performed voter fraud so the new Id rule is in place.

Background Check, ID's- the crazies are still sadly, getting the guns.   It shouldn't affect my abilities to legally acquire firearms with out hassle.  That's why I'm against background checks and ID's for gun purchases.  I do believe that the best deterrent of a crazy with a gun, is law abiding citizens with a gun.

• Upvote 1