SiouxSports.com Forum

I know no politics

Vegas_Sioux

If you believe society hasn't changed that much,you either have lived in a cave all your life or were born 10 years ago.

Older people will always complain about the work ethic, morals, and activities of the younger generations.  It's somewhat similar to going to a basketball game at my old high school with a few old friends.  They can't believe how bad the competition looks, I can't believe they've forgotten we were just as bad if not worse.

Older people will always complain about the work ethic, morals, and activities of the younger generations.  It's somewhat similar to going to a basketball game at my old high school with a few old friends.  They can't believe how bad the competition looks, I can't believe they've forgotten we were just as bad if not worse.

Maybe that's because they're older and have lived long enough to see the changes, whereas people who are younger think everything has always been as it is now. Just sayin.

I don't see the big deal with being required to show an I'd to prove that you are a valid voter. I have the right to vote just like I have the right to bear arms. But in order to purchase a firearm not only do I need to show id, I also have to go through a background check.

It's not not having an id that's the problem. It's college kids (and others) that won't be able to vote in those college towns unless they are from said college town which is a very small number. Unless they get their address updated to that town.

Or anybody that has recently moved and hasn't updated their id.

It's not not having an id that's the problem. It's college kids (and others) that won't be able to vote in those college towns unless they are from said college town which is a very small number. Unless they get their address updated to that town.

...or are proactive and vote absentee

OK, let's open that can of worms; if a college student isn't from the city/county/state the college is in, and isn't changing their address to reflect that they now live in said college town, why should they vote in a mid-term election?  They're not voting for the President, but just for local reps of a place they appear to be only temporarily visiting for school...

OK, let's open that can of worms; if a college student isn't from the city/county/state the college is in, and isn't changing their address to reflect that they now live in said college town, why should they vote in a mid-term election?  They're not voting for the President, but just for local reps of a place they appear to be only temporarily visiting for school...

First, a lot of them stay after they finish school.  You don't know when they are freshmen or sophomores whether they are going to end up staying for a long time or not.  Second, that specific individual may not stay for the long term, but when they leave school they are replaced by another student.  So they are representing a segment of the population that will always be there even if the individual isn't there.  Third, a lot of people not in college are only temporarily visiting the place where they currently live.  Do they get to vote?  I moved to the west coast and the Twin Cities when I was younger.  I knew that I wasn't staying in either place.  Did I deserve to vote in those places?  They let me, just because I took the time to get a local ID, even though I had very little knowledge of local races or issues.  Who makes a better voter, a person with an out of state ID that has good knowledge of the local races or issues, or someone with a local ID who doesn't even know what is on the ballot until they walk into the booth?

First, a lot of them stay after they finish school.  You don't know when they are freshmen or sophomores whether they are going to end up staying for a long time or not.  Second, that specific individual may not stay for the long term, but when they leave school they are replaced by another student.  So they are representing a segment of the population that will always be there even if the individual isn't there.  Third, a lot of people not in college are only temporarily visiting the place where they currently live.  Do they get to vote?  I moved to the west coast and the Twin Cities when I was younger.  I knew that I wasn't staying in either place.  Did I deserve to vote in those places?  They let me, just because I took the time to get a local ID, even though I had very little knowledge of local races or issues.  Who makes a better voter, a person with an out of state ID that has good knowledge of the local races or issues, or someone with a local ID who doesn't even know what is on the ballot until they walk into the booth?

You are assuming college students have a clue, which is a huge stretch. 

Getting proper ID to vote in an election is not a ridiculous requirement and does not put an undue burden on a citizen.  What is a burden apparently to those folks who didn't have proper ID or didn't take the time to make the required changes to their address and update their ID is the fact that we are required to understand how our government works and follow those rules.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse and in these cases saying "I didn't know" is not a valid point in my honest opinion.  You have the right to vote, but not the right to plead ignorance in your civic duty to ensure your vote is counted.

• Upvote 2

You are assuming college students have a clue, which is a huge stretch. 

Not really.  Some do and some don't.  The same can be said about the rest of the population.  There are a lot of voters that don't have a clue.  They vote for the person they've heard of and couldn't tell you one thing that either candidate stands for.  People vote on measures based on something they heard in a commercial, whether it's true or not.  A lot of people are not very informed when they vote.

Getting proper ID to vote in an election is not a ridiculous requirement and does not put an undue burden on a citizen.  What is a burden apparently to those folks who didn't have proper ID or didn't take the time to make the required changes to their address and update their ID is the fact that we are required to understand how our government works and follow those rules.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse and in these cases saying "I didn't know" is not a valid point in my honest opinion.  You have the right to vote, but not the right to plead ignorance in your civic duty to ensure your vote is counted.

North Dakota had a long history of having the most open voting policies in the country.  No registration ahead of time, and you just needed some proof of address to walk up and vote.  That is what people were used to.  The Legislature changed the law in the last session and this was the first general election since the change.  Not everyone got the message.  That's why there was confusion on the day of the election, people had new rules to deal with.  If people are used to doing something the same way over and over they don't normally go looking to see if that way was changed.

I'm not sure the change was needed in North Dakota.  It seemed to be working just fine.  There were no reported attempts at voter fraud.  The new law isn't a big deal, but I don't normally see a need to add a law when there isn't a problem.

Should you have to go through a background check and have valid ID to purchase a fire arm?  Not sure I believe in that.  If you want a fire arm, a person should be able to get a firearm.  Is this not America?

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AvtcsDdbvHLCnCUUpWmVmXObvZx4?fr=yfp-t-309-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=randy%20marsh%20i%20thought%20this%20was%20america

Honestly, I was just asking the question to spur discussion, not taking a hard stance.  I registered and voted in college before moving out of state 2 years later, albeit for a national election, but the key word is registered. 

To discuss the points you brought up:

Point 1; If they are staying, let them get the ID, like you did when you moved around, or vote where they hold permanent residency.  I'm going to reject your second point.  Each person gets to vote in their district, no one just gets to take their place.  I have family in MN, I didn't get to go vote in place of one of them while visiting.  Also, what if the "replacement" student doesn't agree with the prior vote?  They don't get a recall.  Your point 3; see point 1. When you live there, you may intend to be short term, but a circumstance can change to make it long term.  You are currently a permanent resident (ID and everything - probably even license plates if you obey the law), and can act like one.  If you're moving next week, whether you vote would likely depend on how strongly you feel about an issue, but many may not care who the next mayor is and would skip it.  You mentioned deserving to vote - I'm guessing that's just a word choice, since everyone over 18 has the right to vote (unless they lost it due to criminal activity, or never had residency), we're just discussing where and what ID they need.  The better voter question is a trap - just think about what you proposed - if we let people come in and vote from out of state...

Not really.  Some do and some don't.  The same can be said about the rest of the populationThere are a lot of voters that don't have a clue.  They vote for the person they've heard of and couldn't tell you one thing that either candidate stands for.  People vote on measures based on something they heard in a commercial, whether it's true or not.  A lot of people are not very informed when they vote.

All too often, this is all too true!

Honestly, I was just asking the question to spur discussion, not taking a hard stance.  I registered and voted in college before moving out of state 2 years later, albeit for a national election, but the key word is registered. 

To discuss the points you brought up:

Point 1; If they are staying, let them get the ID, like you did when you moved around, or vote where they hold permanent residency.  I'm going to reject your second point.  Each person gets to vote in their district, no one just gets to take their place.  I have family in MN, I didn't get to go vote in place of one of them while visiting.  Also, what if the "replacement" student doesn't agree with the prior vote?  They don't get a recall.  Your point 3; see point 1. When you live there, you may intend to be short term, but a circumstance can change to make it long term.  You are currently a permanent resident (ID and everything - probably even license plates if you obey the law), and can act like one.  If you're moving next week, whether you vote would likely depend on how strongly you feel about an issue, but many may not care who the next mayor is and would skip it.  You mentioned deserving to vote - I'm guessing that's just a word choice, since everyone over 18 has the right to vote (unless they lost it due to criminal activity, or never had residency), we're just discussing where and what ID they need.  The better voter question is a trap - just think about what you proposed - if we let people come in and vote from out of state...

All too often, this is all too true!

College students are kind of unique when compared to other groups.  They move often, so changing IDs often just to get a current address can be more of a hassle than what it is worth.  That includes moving around within the community.  I've known college students that moved 3 or 4 times in a single year.  That is why some localities allow them to keep a permanent address with their parents, even if they know they will never move back.  But they may have more interest in voting on issues or races where they are going to school.  I have no problems with allowing them to vote where they go to school if they have more of an interest in voting there even if the paperwork lists them with a "permanent address" somewhere else.  I don't see what we are gaining by making them get an ID here if they have a legal ID or drivers license from home and proof of being a student.  You're just adding another step to the process for them.  My main issue is just making sure that they only vote once, no matter where it is.  I believe in making it as easy to vote as we can (while still limiting voter fraud) so that we increase the number of people participating in our elections, not making it more difficult so that you chase off voters.  At some point I would think they would vote online when they can be sure they are limiting it to one person one vote.

As far as them representing a segment of the population, no you can't be sure that the new student would vote exactly the same on an individual basis.  However, the current group and the future group would most likely have the same interests and would vote in a similar manner in most cases.  Living in a community 9-12 months out of the year is a little different from your example of someone visiting relatives for a few days.  The current students are paying sales taxes, spending money and most likely paying rent in this community.  Many of them hold jobs in the community.  They deserve a voice in the decisions being made.  Not allowing them to vote takes away that right and also may alienate them so they don't vote in the future.  Those are both bad for the country.  The system seemed to work pretty well for the last 125 years of statehood for North Dakota, it may not have needed to be changed.  You seem to put a lot of emphasis on that little piece of plastic called an ID, when the same goal of identifying people can be done in more than 1 way.

Be one thing if they had a minnesota Id, bit they are obvious residents of ND. Why does it matter if I vote in Grand Forks after work or go out of my way to vote in some small town like arvilla or emerado where my id says my district polling place is because I live in the country?

Be one thing if they had a minnesota Id, bit they are obvious residents of ND. Why does it matter if I vote in Grand Forks after work or go out of my way to vote in some small town like arvilla or emerado where my id says my district polling place is because I live in the country?

The main thing is that you are voting for at least some different races. Different legislators, different city officials, sometimes different measures. Students voting here are voting where they live most of the Year