SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen4sioux

Then please explain how Boston College can win 4 titles in the last 14 years, while we have ZERO in the same period? And both Minnesota and Denver went back-to-back in 2002-03 and 2004-05 respectively. If it is next to impossible to hang an NCAA banner anymore, those things should never have happened. Hakstol is becoming our version of Doug Woog: Lots of regular season success, a boatload of Frozen Four appearances and ZERO NCAA titles to show for it. Our fan base used to mock and ridicule other programs (St. Cloud for example) for hanging participation banners instead of title banners. Now we are almost embracing it as proof of a successful program. I simply do not agree with that line of thinking.

Flame away (I am used to it).

BC is clearly an outlier. I have no way to explain that. They got it done. Minny missed tournaments and hasn't had title since. Denver as well. So, IMO, parity makes it harder to win a title.

It was just an observation regarding that particular game and team.  In no way am I comparing them to the current team...that 86-87 team was a lot of fun to watch; full throttle all the time.  We didn't know how good we had it!

No we didn't; it is human nature to appreciate things after they are over and not when they are happening.

Sorry about the confusion.

BC is clearly an outlier. I have no way to explain that. They got it done. Minny missed tournaments and hasn't had title since. Denver as well. So, IMO, parity makes it harder to win a title.

They got it done because Jerry York builds his teams the same way Dean Blais did during his tenure in Grand Forks.  Lots of speed and skill, constant offensive zone pressure, creating odd-man rushes, a commitment to all players chipping in defensively and good goaltending.  It worked in the 1990's and it still works today.  I think that style works better in the college game than this structured NHL stuff Hakstol favors.  It works fine in the regular season, but it has failed us during the postseason.  I certainly hope Hakstol gets the national title monkey off his back soon; I just have doubts that it will happen under his leadership.

They got it done because Jerry York builds his teams the same way Dean Blais did during his tenure in Grand Forks.  Lots of speed and skill, constant offensive zone pressure, creating odd-man rushes, a commitment to all players chipping in defensively and good goaltending.  It worked in the 1990's and it still works today.  I think that style works better in the college game than this structured NHL stuff Hakstol favors.  It works fine in the regular season, but it has failed us during the postseason.  I certainly hope Hakstol gets the national title monkey off his back soon; I just have doubts that it will happen under his leadership.

favorite blais quote was always "speed boys, speed"

hak quote "cycle boys, cycle"

• Upvote 1

I was on Hak last year so it isn't a one game thing for me.

No I dont think a title is easy, but I expect one every 10 years. Am I really out of line? Something called Union won it last year.

Though thank God it was them and not the Goofs.

If the Gophers were winning "nattys" like the Bison in football. I believe Hakstol would have been gone by now.

Perfect summary - Hak is so stubborn about his "systems" - Imagine what York could do with Toews, Oshie, and Duncan on a line.  Hak does many parts of his coaching job very well, but I really believe that this is why we never get it done.  

Perfect summary - Hak is so stubborn about his "systems" - Imagine what York could do with Toews, Oshie, and Duncan on a line. Hak does many parts of his coaching job very well, but I really believe that this is why we never get it done.

You're guaranteeing two national titles in the two years Toews hypothetically spent at BC? Would York have made Duncan a two or three-time Hobey Baker winner? Oshie a 50 goal scorer?

You're guaranteeing two national titles in the two years Toews hypothetically spent at BC? Would York have made Duncan a two or three-time Hobey Baker winner? Oshie a 50 goal scorer?

I'm not guaranteeing squat - just pointing out that we certainly have had the talent to get it done and that in my opinion Hak's "systems" have not helped.  

I'm not guaranteeing squat - just pointing out that we certainly have had the talent to get it done and that in my opinion Hak's "systems" have not helped.

So what are we supposed to imagine York doing with Duncan-Oshie-Toews that Hak couldn't do?

Q) How many nattys do these fine college programs have in the last 15 years?

Maine, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan, Colorado College, Cornell, New Hampshire

A) zero

How many of them have a 100m recruiting gem and a full budget with over 100k just in sticks?

• Upvote 1

How many of them have a 100m recruiting gem and a full budget with over 100k just in sticks?

Maybe it's because Yale and Union recruit guys who want to win NCAA hockey championships and UND recruits guys who want to win Stanley Cups?

• Upvote 1