SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Game Thread

FSSD

It's going to be a looooooonnnnggg season, but it's also going to be a loooooooonnnnngggg 3 seasons in this rebuild. Saying that doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

My hope is the game against the Plundering Turd next year is less than a 20 point loss.

If we do lose to the University of Home Economics, it's not such a horrible thing.  

It will make them happy.  They have such little else in their lives.  Well, except for courtroom appearances in Jamestown. 

somehow I doubt a guy with 11,000 posts is here just to troll.  He has an opinion about the state of the team that appears to have been pretty accurate.  Having an honest accurate opinion is not trolling.  This board has been infested with delusional optimism for years now, and anyone who takes a grounded opinion gets attacked.  Your post was much closer to a violation of the terms of service than his.

It's gonna be a long season, but in three years we're going to have a pretty experienced team with some good talent.

Didn't quite look like trolling to me. The Sioux was playing an FBS team, more often than not, these games get ugly pretty quick. Plus we are in rebuilding mode. To be honest this wasn't a shocker. Let the boys figure it out and hopefully they progress enough during the season to be competitive.

• Upvote 1

I'll say it again: For a guy who was a lineman, Mussman didn't understand where the game is played and won --> the lines. He has left Bubba very little to work with. I trust the coaches to be willing to maximize what they have. 

Until the offensive line can push for a yard on third and one or pick up a blitz, I'm reserving judgment on other aspects of the offensive game. 

Same story for the defensive side: If you're not getting push and pressure from the defensive line (and linebackers), the DBs are exposed. 

What I will say is this:

- A Mussman team would've folded up like a cheap tent at 21-0; this team came out and responded -- that's coaching, pure and simple

- Left-footed kickers always make me nervous; for a true freshman, hitting from 42 on his first attempt in that situation* was outstanding

- And he kicked to the end zone on the following kick off, not out of bounds, not shanked, but end zone -- that #4 guy, left-footed or not gets a +

- The team looked like deer in the head lights at the start -- can you say true freshmen and inexperience

- I'm interested in seeing what this team does with this experience

*He misses that and the game goes really, really bad momentum-wise

• Upvote 1

I'm more of a realistic than an optimist. I was hoping for no blow-out but more so I was hoping to see good tackling and crisp play calling and fewer mistakes. What I saw is what we all know - it starts with OL and DL, which were both overmatched. The year we beat UNI you can point at the lines being able to hold their own and often dominate which opens up a lot of options. Gonna be rough against the top tier this year - anyone who thought otherwise wasn't paying attention. I'll be there for every home game supporting the team and it won't be by second guessing the staff or dissing any players - and I will never use the word "suck" when discussing any UND team - not my style.  

Agree with all of the above.   I will be making the 5 hour trip north next weekend for the game.   There is hope for the future but it might take some time.

I'll say it again: For a guy who was a lineman, Mussman didn't understand where the game is played and won --> the lines. He has left Bubba very little to work with. I trust the coaches to be willing to maximize what they have. 

Until the offensive line can push for a yard on third and one or pick up a blitz, I'm reserving judgment on other aspects of the offensive game. 

Same story for the defensive side: If you're not getting push and pressure from the defensive line (and linebackers), the DBs are exposed. 

What I will say is this:

- A Mussman team would've folded up like a cheap tent at 21-0; this team came out and responded -- that's coaching, pure and simple

- Left-footed kickers always make me nervous; for a true freshman, hitting from 42 on his first attempt in that situation* was outstanding

- And he kicked to the end zone on the following kick off, not out of bounds, not shanked, but end zone -- that #4 guy, left-footed or not gets a +

- The team looked like deer in the head lights at the start -- can you say true freshmen and inexperience

The first kick of your college career is pretty tough.  I'm sure his head was spinning and the game is really fast at that point compared to HS.

He also understood the importance of getting some points there which makes it even harder.  For him to make it says a lot.   Congrats to him.

What I will say is this:

I take offense as a left footer

I will be interested in seeing what happens to the offensive philosophy.  I'm happy to establish the run and play a little smash mouth, but when your first down runs end up with a yard or less, things get dicey.  Our attempts to establish the run ruined our offensive chances for at least the first half.  How long do we keep this philosophy with our line?  Thanks to Muss's fine recruiting, it doesn't look like we will be pounding much of anything against most teams.  

4th and 1 at SJSU 43 early in the game and Bubba goes for it. I like that........... Muss would have tucked them between his legs.

Bubba will make strides this year with this program but he isn't a magician.

• Upvote 2

The new staff has coached one game with the new offense and defense.  ONE.  

They aren't changing a thing.  

I fully understand how many games we've played.  I think it's a legitimate question to ask - can we continue our philosophy of establishing the run with our O line?  Unless these guys get better in a hurry or unless you think that SJSU has by far the best D line we will play, we have a lot of 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7's in our future.  That's not to say we can't keep this philosophy for the future - we just need some hogs to make it work.

I fully understand how many games we've played. I think it's a legitimate question to ask - can we continue our philosophy of establishing the run with our O line? Unless these guys get better in a hurry or unless you think that SJSU has by far the best D line we will play, we have a lot of 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7's in our future. That's not to say we can't keep this philosophy for the future - we just need some hogs to make it work.

This game was against a FBS team. Their 2nd and 3rd stringers turned down FCS offers to play FBS. UND will have a slim chance against FBS teams when the staff and team have been in place for 3 years. This was their first ever game as a team recovering from the ashes of 2013. Was not in favor of hiring Schweigert, but give the guy a chance. Any time a FCS team beats a FBS team, it is an upset (yes, even the Bison). Anyone who thought this team was going to win last night had extremely high hopes. The general projections for this team are for 5 or 6 wins AT BEST! FBS San Jose was not going to be one of them. Chill freaking out! (This is meant for everybody, not just Irish.)

This game was against a FBS team. Their 2nd and 3rd stringers turned down FCS offers to play FBS. UND will have a slim chance against FBS teams when the staff and team have been in place for 3 years. This was their first ever game as a team recovering from the ashes of 2013. Was not in favor of hiring Schweigert, but give the guy a chance. Any time a FCS team beats a FBS team, it is an upset (yes, even the Bison). Anyone who thought this team was going to win last night had extremely high hopes. The general projections for this team are for 5 or 6 wins AT BEST! FBS San Jose was not going to be one of them. Chill freaking out! (This is meant for everybody, not just Irish.)

Ah, yes - vintage Sioux Football forum - wildly over-optimistic before the game, critical of anyone who provides analysis or comments that aren't duckies and bunnies afterwords.  No one is freaking out.  What they are doing is discussing the ass-whooping we recieved (and probably should have expected).  

I will be interested in seeing what happens to the offensive philosophy.  I'm happy to establish the run and play a little smash mouth, but when your first down runs end up with a yard or less, things get dicey.  Our attempts to establish the run ruined our offensive chances for at least the first half.  How long do we keep this philosophy with our line?  Thanks to Muss's fine recruiting, it doesn't look like we will be pounding much of anything against most teams.  

No, the offense looked great; exactly what it needs to be like. Yes, the production needs to be much better, but the type of offense is perfect.

Ground and Pound with some play-action

Ah, yes - vintage Sioux Football forum - wildly over-optimistic before the game, critical of anyone who provides analysis or comments that aren't duckies and bunnies afterwords.  No one is freaking out.  What they are doing is discussing the ass-whooping we recieved (and probably should have expected).  

That is the most accurate observation i've seen here in a long time.

• Upvote 1

Did not mean to single you out, Irish. In fact, I have agreed with most of what you have posted over the past year and more. My 'wild optimism' was that the Sioux would cover the spread. Silly me, but that was my optimism. It's just that your post seemed unduly harsh after UND was beaten, rather severely I would agree, by a team that should have beat them. I'm still not convinced that Schweigert is a better choice than DeBoer, Pflugrad, or a couple of other options that UND had last winter, but Bubba was the choice, and he, his staff and the team deserve a chance to play a few games, if not a season, before people jump on the negative side of things. Irish, i think you are willing to be a voice of reason, even if it is a post that people don't want to hear and I appreciate that.

• Upvote 2

I fully understand how many games we've played.  I think it's a legitimate question to ask - can we continue our philosophy of establishing the run with our O line?  Unless these guys get better in a hurry or unless you think that SJSU has by far the best D line we will play, we have a lot of 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7's in our future.  That's not to say we can't keep this philosophy for the future - we just need some hogs to make it work.

You seriously asked after one game if we should "continue our philosophy of establishing the run"?    Are they building for the future or trying to squeak out a game or two anyway they can, Mussman style?   

The current players (see OL) are not the only one's that are going to be running this system.  It needs to be implemented and taught the same year after year.  

There are going to be a sh*t load of 2nd and 9's and 3rd and 7's this year.  Get used to it.  

I think success in 2014 will have to be measured in something other than wins and losses.  Work ethic, attitude when behind, attitude when ahead, discipline (or lack thereof), improvement from game 1 to game 2 and game 2 to game 3 and so on; those will be the things I watch for as the season progresses.  It will take 2 to 3 recruiting classes to get the horses to win games against someone other than non-scholarship FCS teams and lower-level Big Sky teams as this is the lowest point we have been since 1986, but if Bubba and his staff can instill good work habits and discipline now, it will become ingrained in the culture of the program (like it was under Thomas and Lennon) and we'll be in the Big Sky Conference and FCS playoff mix in no fewer than 5 years.  And yes, 6-6 is a little wishful, but you need to set goals and that is a reachable (though difficult) goal for this team.  It would go a long way to getting potential recruits to seriously consider UND in the future.

I think success in 2014 will have to be measured in something other than wins and losses. Work ethic, attitude when behind, attitude when ahead, discipline (or lack thereof), improvement from game 1 to game 2 and game 2 to game 3 and so on; those will be the things I watch for as the season progresses. It will take 2 to 3 recruiting classes to get the horses to win games against someone other than non-scholarship FCS teams and lower-level Big Sky teams as this is the lowest point we have been since 1986, but if Bubba and his staff can instill good work habits and discipline now, it will become ingrained in the culture of the program (like it was under Thomas and Lennon) and we'll be in the Big Sky Conference and FCS playoff mix in no fewer than 5 years. And yes, 6-6 is a little wishful, but you need to set goals and that is a reachable (though difficult) goal for this team. It would go a long way to getting potential recruits to seriously consider UND in the future.

Going 6-6 is still definitely a possibility, especially with so many young players that may improve exponentially after only a few games.

With that said, going 3-9 or 4-8 is a real possibility too. Hopefully, like you mentioned, the team keeps improving, because the whole squad will basically be back in 2015.

You seriously asked after one game if we should "continue our philosophy of establishing the run"?    Are they building for the future or trying to squeak out a game or two anyway they can, Mussman style?   

The current players (see OL) are not the only one's that are going to be running this system.  It needs to be implemented and taught the same year after year.  

There are going to be a sh*t load of 2nd and 9's and 3rd and 7's this year.  Get used to it.  

That's something I don't want to get used to.  Seems like we have gotten used to quite a bit over the last 7 years.  And I think asking how we are going to approach our offense given the state of the O line is a legitamate question here on a football forum.  

• Upvote 1

South Dakota Coyotes 2012 record in Joe Glenn's first year = 1-10.   They were 6-5 the year before.  

He played his guys and implemented his system.  Record be damned.  Last year they were 4-8.  

P.S. - I am not saying I want UND to be like USD or lose 10 games.  I am just giving a very similar comparison about what happens sometimes in year one after a coaching change.  

4th and 1 at SJSU 43 early in the game and Bubba goes for it. I like that........... Muss would have tucked them between his legs.

Bubba will make strides this year with this program but he isn't a magician.

Why give them the field position.  You pin them deep.  Play field position football.  I didn't like the call..  You are kicking into the wind so it should help hold up the punt to allow coverage to pin it down.  Up to that point the running game has shown no push your 31 and 22 personal got no push in the first 4 attempts - maybe a couple of yards.  IMAO - I say punt.

Why give them the field position. You pin them deep. Play field position football. I didn't like the call.. You are kicking into the wind so it should help hold up the punt to allow coverage to pin it down. Up to that point the running game has shown no push your 31 and 22 personal got no push in the first 4 attempts - maybe a couple of yards. IMAO - I say punt.

I disagree, especially when playing an FBS team.