SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

That was a tongue-in-cheek post by Rednek, bale, in reference to Lucia's comment about the age of Mankato's players. Somewhat similar to the company line last spring when some Gopher fans felt a title was a done deal against a school they'd never heard of, then when Union started rolling MN, the discussion turned to how old the Union players were. Nevermind that the two oldest players on the ice were wearing M's on their jerseys...

So after all these years they are still playing the "We were beat by older Canadians" card?   Maybe it's time to send their two soft Ollies back to the Fjord.

Just saw the headline over at GPL that Mankato validated their top ranking with a win over Minnesota. They validated that with me with wins over Omaha and Duluth and their consistent winning in college hockey, when you can get nipped by a Bemidji State or a Lake State at any given time. I know it may be nitpicking, because I sometimes think people here don't give Mankato enough credit unless they play us, but it did come across kind of arrogant to me, like beating a 20ish pairwise team validates something, especially when their fans think they are crap right now.

Just saw the headline over at GPL that Mankato validated their top ranking with a win over Minnesota. They validated that with me with wins over Omaha and Duluth and their consistent winning in college hockey, when you can get nipped by a Bemidji State or a Lake State at any given time. I know it may be nitpicking, because I sometimes think people here don't give Mankato enough credit unless they play us, but it did come across kind of arrogant to me, like beating a 20ish pairwise team validates something, especially when their fans think they are crap right now.

Ha! Great post. Classic gopher arrogance.

One poster over there in the game thread ripped Mankato's weak schedule - totally unaware that Bowling Green, Michigan Tech, UMD, and Nebraska Omaha are all top ten teams.

I was at the game last night and got to hear the usual Gopher fan stupidity at the X.  I got to hear banter from a Gopher fan early on about MSU's "soft schedule"...people who speak on opinions without fact really irritate me...MSU's Strength of Schedule is significantly more difficult than Minnesota's.

It reminded me of the age excuse- I had to hear about how much younger the Gophers were than everybody else last year and that's why they didn't win the title- again, facts are stubborn things- you can average out the ages of teams on hockeydb...if the average age is 20 vs 20.25...big excuse...

I was at the game last night and got to hear the usual Gopher fan stupidity at the X.  I got to hear banter from a Gopher fan early on about MSU's "soft schedule"...people who speak on opinions without fact really irritate me...MSU's Strength of Schedule is significantly more difficult than Minnesota's.

It reminded me of the age excuse- I had to hear about how much younger the Gophers were than everybody else last year and that's why they didn't win the title- again, facts are stubborn things- you can average out the ages of teams on hockeydb...if the average age is 20 vs 20.25...big excuse...

MSU has obviously done a great recruiting job and seem to have found the right mixture of talent and sandpaper.  I like the players that UND currently has but often wish we had a few more of the latter blue collar types.  Besides talent, National Championships equally require hard work and knocking the other team off of their game.

Beyond the Pond (and I'm paraphrasing except for quoted word): Mankato "validated" its #1 ranking last night by defeating the 20th-ranked Gophers.

Beyond the Arrogance, apparently.

Listening to them on my way to Fargo. Heard that and damn near had to pull over to throw up.

Beyond the Pond (and I'm paraphrasing except for quoted word): Mankato "validated" its #1 ranking last night by defeating the 20th-ranked Gophers.

Beyond the Arrogance, apparently.

If we wanted to give the BtP crew the benefit of the doubt, maybe they meant Mankato validated their high ranking by taking care of business against a team they should have beaten.  I.e.yep, Mankato is probably 2 goals a game better than MN.

Now, don't let me get in the way of casting aspersions on MN fans' arrogance.    Carry on!

It won't happen this year...but I would bet that the "permanent host" of the tournament might suggest it as a change next year.  Under the guise of "maximizing attendance," of course.  :hypocrite:

BTW, one fan over at GPL did inquire last night about today's game-time and if the "Gopher Rule" was in effect this weekend.  MN has it's own gobc too - the Gopher Old Boys Club.  It's on the agenda at Monday's meeting at the King of Diamonds in Inver Grove Heights:)

One puts 2 and 2 together and begins to wonder if MM is actually a member of the Gopher OBC.

Shocked.  Shocked, I say.