SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

It didn't look like more than 2,500 tops. Not good at all - that's supposed to be a professional team, right?

It didn't look close to 7,000 last night. The city of Miami only cares about winners, even the Miami Heat's attendance was going down until LeBron showed up.

It didn't look close to 7,000 last night. The city of Miami only cares about winners, even the Miami Heat's attendance was going down until LeBron showed up.

Yea, Miami fans are known for being fickle. Even the MLB champion Marlins had trouble filling the stands during their title years. Florida Panthers = Kansas City Scouts 2.0? Seattle Thunderbirds?

Yea, Miami fans are known for being fickle.  Even the MBL champion Marlins had trouble filling the stands during their title years.  Florida Panthers = Kansas City Scouts 2.0?  Seattle Thunderbirds? 

I heard that the Florida Panther were giving tickets away at practice before the game.

Here's Chris Peters story for CBS Sports on the game with pictures for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24751252/photos-florida-panthers-attendance-looks-worse-than-ever

THIS^^^

I just don't get the "casual" fan who thinks it's awesome. Last night's Bruins/Red Wings games had lots of action and plenty of great goaltending. A 2-2 tie can be fun to watch...the skills competition to decide a winner ruins it.

Can you imagine an early round Wimbledon match being decided by a "fastest serve" contest? A slam-dunk contest to decide an NBA game? The NHL is the only league that uses one set of rules for the regular season and another for the playoffs. It ruins a great sport.

• Upvote 1

I just don't get the "casual" fan who thinks it's awesome. Last night's Bruins/Red Wings games had lots of action and plenty of great goaltending. A 2-2 tie can be fun to watch...the skills competition to decide a winner ruins it.

Can you imagine an early round Wimbledon match being decided by a "fastest serve" contest? A slam-dunk contest to decide an NBA game? The NHL is the only league that uses one set of rules for the regular season and another for the playoffs. It ruins a great sport.

NHL is doing away with the shootout...the new method of determining the winner after OT will be the team that can make the most tape to tape passes in 30 seconds. ;)

NHL is doing away with the shootout...the new method of determining the winner after OT will be the team that can make the most tape to tape passes in 30 seconds. ;)

Great...another "non-game" method of determining an outcome that the B's will suck at. 

The only thing I can say about shootouts is they're more fun when you win 'em.  Otherwise they pretty much suck overall and I'm not a fan.

I say let's "motivate" teams to win in regulation or timed OT and to stay away from shootouts. How?

All games are five-point games:

5: Winner in regulation

4: Winner in timed OT

3: Winner of shootout (after timed OT)

2: Loser of shootout

1: Loser in timed OT

0: Loser in regulation

No more "3 point" games which encourages teams to play to a tie instead of trying to win a regulation "2 point" game.

Nice penalty with about 80 seconds left in a one-goal game...the crotch gesture to the fans...skating around after a Montreal goal looking for a fight...he's been a head case against the Canadiens since last spring.

That's nit-picking now, isn't it?