SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

The Wild missed on a lot of quality chances last night including a few with whiffing on wide open nets and you just knew that would come back to haunt them at the end of that game. That was one of the worst reffed NHL games I have seen last night with missing some blatantly obvious cross check and slashing calls as well as allowing the Ducks to goon it up after plays. Suter getting punched by a Duck who dropped his gloves and tried to start fighting results in no call, Perry sitting on top of Haula for a good 20 seconds and the ref just turns his head, Getzlaf and Coyle get in a skirmish and Getzlaf drops his gloves during it and Coyle doesn't but Coyle gets an extra 2 minutes. I say the next time these two teams meet the Wild let Cooke go back to his ways from a few years ago and take care of a few of these Ducks starting with Ryan Kesler who just couldn't resist one more cheap play at the buzzer. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-kesler-sparks-chaos-with-hit-on-mikael-granlund-at-buzzer--video-064019781.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Disagree very strongly. I love the shootout, much better than settling for a tie game. That having been said, I am very grateful that they don't use it in the postseason.

How can you have one set of rules for the regular season and a different one for the playoffs?

Disagree very strongly. I love the shootout, much better than settling for a tie game. That having been said, I am very grateful that they don't use it in the postseason.

Wouldn't that make you a hypocrite?

Shootouts are for the Olympics and that's where they should stay.

Because of scheduling being the way it is, often times teams have games on back-to-back nights. Therefore, it is unrealistic to expect teams play triple and quadruple OT games in the regular season. Even before the shootout it was already one set of rules for the regular season and a different one for the playoffs : regular season games ended in a tie if nobody scored after five minutes of OT, while playoff games had continuous OT play until a winner was determined.

Wouldn't adding 5:00 of OT take up about as much time as is spent dilly-dallying around with cleaning the ice and going thru multiple shooters?

As far as the "rule change," I suppose playoff games could just end in ties too, eh?

Because of scheduling being the way it is, often times teams have games on back-to-back nights. Therefore, it is unrealistic to expect teams play triple and quadruple OT games in the regular season. Even before the shootout it was already one set of rules for the regular season and a different one for the playoffs : regular season games ended in a tie if nobody scored after five minutes of OT, while playoff games had continuous OT play until a winner was determined.

It's not like the teams take a bus to their next game they get on a charter flight to their next game, so the excuse of back-to-back games each night is moot. How about the NHL goes back to the glory days where the home team wears the white jersey and the road team wears the dark jersey and 5 on 5 overtimes but make the overtimes 15 minutes, and make a rule that shootouts are permanently band from hockey and shall never be brought up or use ever again. 

Yes, adding another 5:00 of OT would take about the same amount of time as the shootout... but what if nobody scores in that additional 5:00 of OT? Are you honestly saying you'd rather go back to teams having 15 or so tie games per season? LAME!!!

Yep, that's what I'm saying. The slow-skating, multiple deke, quick-stop, re-start, deke, re-deke, and deke again shoot-out is not a way to decide the outcome of a "team" sport. Just my opinion...

Yep, that's what I'm saying. The slow-skating, multiple deke, quick-stop, re-start, deke, re-deke, and deke again shoot-out is not a way to decide the outcome of a "team" sport. Just my opinion...

Agreed.  I'm fine with a tie; it beats the free throw contest at the end of the game.  Ridiculous.

The only jersey match-up that might be better than last night's Detroit whites vs Toronto blues would be...

...tonight's Detroit reds vs Toronto whites! 1-0 Detroit tonight as Zetterberg pots one with 9.9 seconds left in OT.

Triple bonus points for saving us all from another shoot-out!

The only jersey match-up that might be better than Last night's Detroit's whites vs Toronto's blues would be...

...tonight's Detroit's reds vs Toronto's whites! 1-0 Detroit tonight as Zetterberg pots one with 9.9 seconds left in OT.

It would be better if the teams wore the right color jersey at home (white) and on the road (dark).

I wonder if Bettman is ever fired will the NHL get rid of shootouts?

The only jersey match-up that might be better than last night's Detroit whites vs Toronto blues would be...

...tonight's Detroit reds vs Toronto whites! 1-0 Detroit tonight as Zetterberg pots one with 9.9 seconds left in OT.

Sounds like paint drying to me... :)

The NHL setting the standard of banning players, Slava Voynov suspended indefinitely for the Kings by the NHL.

"Setting the standard"? Remind me again how the NHL and the Avalanche handled the arrest of goalie Semyon Varlamov LAST October on felony kidnapping and misdemeanor assault charges...

"Setting the standard"? Remind me again how the NHL and the Avalanche handled the arrest of goalie Semyon Varlamov LAST October on felony kidnapping and misdemeanor assault charges...

I'll give the NHL this they are looking a lot better then how the NFL has handled assault charges.

For everything I've heard about Varlamov's girlfriend is that every time he leaves her or kicked her to the curb she says he assaulted her.