SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

It's never too early to start a hockey thread...

It's already been an interesting off-season with the firing of Dan Bylsma...I'm sure it's only going to get more interesting before next season's first puck drops.

My six fearless predictions:

The Red Wings make a big splash in free agent signings and become a force again in the east.

The Penguins third jersey becomes so popular that Mario is forced to make Pittsburgh gold its full-time color and scrap Vegas gold altogether.

The Florida Panthers announce that the team will move to Seattle for the 2015-2016 season.

The NHL reverts back to white jerseys at home.

Joe Thornton is traded by San Jose.

Marian Gaborik does the smart thing and stays in LA - and the Kings become the first team since the Red Wings in 97 and 98 to repeat as Stanley Cup champions.

It will be interesting to see what deals come out of Chicago (if they can manage it) with Toews and Kane. That's a LOT of star power, both warranting more money, looking to sign contract extensions at the same time. Granted, the current contracts aren't up until next year, but I'd imagine Chicago wants to get that taken care of before the start of next season.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Greener. If it weren't for injuries, he very well might not have played much in the playoffs. The Kings are deep at defense and utilizing an offensive defenseman is a more popular choice these days. But you also can't underestimate that kind of locker room presence, noted by both Sutter and teammates. If Greene stays in LA, I'm thinking it's a one or two year deal max.

It's never too early to start a hockey thread...

It's already been an interesting off-season with the firing of Dan Bylsma...I'm sure it's only going to get more interesting before next season's first puck drops.

My six fearless predictions:

The Red Wings make a big splash in free agent signings and become a force again in the east.

The Penguins third jersey becomes so popular that Mario is forced to make Pittsburgh gold its full-time color and scrap Vegas gold altogether.

The Florida Panthers announce that the team will move to Seattle for the 2015-2016 season.

The NHL reverts back to white jerseys at home.

Joe Thornton is traded by San Jose.

Marian Gaborik does the smart thing and stays in LA - and the Kings become the first team since the Red Wings in 97 and 98 to repeat as Stanley Cup champions.

anything else would be a failure for the greatest NHL team to ever take the ice.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Greener. If it weren't for injuries, he very well might not have played much in the playoffs. The Kings are deep at defense and utilizing an offensive defenseman is a more popular choice these days. But you also can't underestimate that kind of locker room presence, noted by both Sutter and teammates. If Greene stays in LA, I'm thinking it's a one or two year deal max.

Not hard to see why Edmonton is so awful these days - trading Stoll and Greene to LA for Lubomir Visnovsky. Great pick-ups for the Kings...

Not hard to see why Edmonton is so awful these days - trading Stoll and Greene to LA for Lubomir Visnovsky. Great pick-ups for the Kings...

Eventually, the Oilers are going to figure it out again, they have some great young players.

...as opposed to the fans getting to watch Jeremy Roenick cry like a baby on national TV again should the Blackhawks win the cup again?

that was pathetic. there will have to be the WANT because the Kings absolutely WANTED it more than the Blackhawks this season.

Nightly show on NHL Network saying "no way" the Kings bring back Mitchell AND Greene both. Consensus among the hosts was that Mitchell will return but that Greene will have no problem being picked up by another team.

Also, cue Mark Rosen with his "scoop" that the Wild will try to sign Gaborik and Mitchell AND Vanek. I've never seen a hometown media with such a love of former local college boys or former players that need to come back. I swear, Rosie would think the Twins have a legitimate shot at the World Series this season if they could only sign Jack Morris, Al Newman, and Gary Gaetti.

Nightly show on NHL Network saying "no way" the Kings bring back Mitchell AND Greene both. Consensus among the hosts was that Mitchell will return but that Greene will have no problem being picked up by another team.

Also, cue Mark Rosen with his "scoop" that the Wild will try to sign Gaborik and Mitchell AND Vanek. I've never seen a hometown media with such a love of former local college boys or former players that need to come back. I swear, Rosie would think the Twins have a legitimate shot at the World Series this season if they could only sign Jack Morris, Al Newman, and Gary Gaetti.

You forgot Kirby Puckett.

Also, cue Mark Rosen with his "scoop" that the Wild will try to sign Gaborik and Mitchell AND Vanek. I've never seen a hometown media with such a love of former local college boys or former players that need to come back.

With the Kids on the Wild making a major push during the SCP, Vanek might have played himself out of a big contract in Minnesota.

So the Flyers are now in the business of trading current Flyers (Scott Hartnell) in exchange for former Flyers (RJ Umberger)...I have an idea...why don't you try and pick up that Jeff Carter guy and what's-his-name Justin Williams? I think they just might help the team...and how about a swap of fourth-line centers, Vincent Lecavalier for Mike Richards?

And now the LA Kings re-signed Gaborik (good move) for 7 years (WHAAAT?). He's currently 32 so he now has a contract that goes until he's 39 - at $4.875M per year. Interesting decision there on the part of the Kings.

Marian Gaborik re-signs with Kings

I thought it was an excellent move when I saw they resigned him, and then I saw the timeframe. 7 years is a heck of a long time to commit to someone that 'old'.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was an excellent move when I saw they resigned him, and then I saw the timeframe. 7 years is a heck of a long time to commit to someone that 'old'.

Hey wait a minute, 39 isn't that old. :lol: