SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

A few years ago - when I was really actively following our team (going to be starting again as of now though) - I went to far more "away" games than "home" ones due to the fact that I reside in "away" territory. Been to Mankato, St cloud and Duluth - not to mention the X and the John - far more often than the Ralph. Probably not alone in this scenario however

• Upvote 2

Back when UND played the Gophers in the Final Five (2 years ago?), what was the approximate split of the crowd in terms of Minnesota fans/UND fans? I realize this will probably be just an opinion?

From my recollection of being at this game, there were 18,000 Gopher fans there for the first 35 minutes of the game and 18,000 Sioux fans there for the last 25.

Tally Ho- I'm in...

Section 124, row P, seats 25-28...Hoping to see all my old Final Five friends...IM old friends who want to connect- or new ones...I changed cell phones and lost a bunch of numbers.

Does that include Hoggsbreath on Saturday morning at 11 am?

A few years ago - when I was really actively following our team (going to be starting again as of now though) - I went to far more "away" games than "home" ones due to the fact that I reside in "away" territory. Been to Mankato, St cloud and Duluth - not to mention the X and the John - far more often than the Ralph. Probably not alone in this scenario however

This is true for us, also. I've been away from Grand Forks since 1999 (Northwest Metro). We held onto our season tickets and drove 280 miles 1-way for every home series until having kids in 2006. Since 2006, we've been making a couple road trips a year instead of making the trek to GF, but we still get there for many of the the series over the holidays. Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, Madison, Omaha, Minneapolis, St. Paul, heck even a quick flight to Denver are all more accessible than Grand Forks for us.

In all honesty I've enjoyed making road trips more than having the season tickets. Road games are so much fun to attend! If you've got the budget but can't get season tickets, by all means take in a couple road series!

• Upvote 1

I think what makes road games so great is the Sioux fans who attend are true die hard fans. They didn't just get tickets from their boss and drive 5 minutes over to the Ralph after work on a Friday noght. These road warriors went out of their way to find out when tickets went on sale, most likey found a group of like minded die hards to go with, bought the tickets, booked a hotel and planned their trip to said away game city. The fans that are at the games are outnumbhered, but they are deffinitely not silent. When you go to a road =game, everyone wearing green and white is your friend. You have that special bond knowing that you drove all this way to see your team play.

I have been to St. Cloud, Minnesota, Duluth, and the Final 5 many times for road games. There were always tons of Sioux fans at the games and then out at the local establishments after. But the best road game ever, and I am sure others would agree, would be the trip last year to Omaha. That Friday night game, the entire end was practically Sioux fans. Old Matress factory that Friday and the next Saturday when the game was delayed was packed!! Standing behind the dugout where the players exited the field after the sweep and hearing THOUSANDS of Sioux fans cheer on the team is something that still give me goosebumps. It is moments like these that bond us as fans.

• Upvote 3

I always think the word 'traveling fan base" is overrated. Case in point, there are a lot of UND fans that travel to the final five but with 20,000 UND alumni living in the twin cities I wouldn't doubt most of them travel from the suberbs. Same thing with Denver, there are a lot of North Dakota transplants that live in the Denver area. No doubt, there are fans that travel from Grand Forks I just think the majority of fans at the away arenas live in those cities. You can say the same thing about when Minnesota plays in CC or Denver, there are alot of Gopher fans in the arena but I willing to bet most of them live in the Denver area.

Looks like you're getting skewered over this post but I agree with a good portion of what you were trying to say. However, I used to get annoyed when every spring, I'd run into Gopher fans asking me "how was the trip?" - obviously most Gopher fans automatically assume everyone in a green jersey is from Grand Forks. Imagine their surprise when I would reply back with "pretty good - 494 to Highway 5 was fine and Shepard Road was a breeze." Lots of Twin Cities Sioux fans make the road trips to St Cloud and Duluth too (and formerly Mankato). I don't think of myself as being any different than a fan from Fargo or Grand Forks - Sioux fans DO travel.

• Upvote 1

Tally Ho- I'm in...

Section 124, row P, seats 25-28...Hoping to see all my old Final Five friends...IM old friends who want to connect- or new ones...I changed cell phones and lost a bunch of numbers.

I am in Section 106 Row N Seat 1. Opposite corner as you. With all those seats you must be bringing your whole family.

Hmmmmmmm........if accurate, very telling.

This is very accurate. Can't remember what year it was, but we were at the tournament for first night play in. UND playing St. Cloud. St Cloud fans all geared up doing all the cheers. UND beats St. Cloud and next night, same people all geared up in Minnesota garb and doing all the cheers. Guess part of being a hockey fan from the state of hockey is having your requisite back up Golden Chokers garb.

I think what makes road games so great is the Sioux fans who attend are true die hard fans. They didn't just get tickets from their boss and drive 5 minutes over to the Ralph after work on a Friday noght. These road warriors went out of their way to find out when tickets went on sale, most likey found a group of like minded die hards to go with, bought the tickets, booked a hotel and planned their trip to said away game city. The fans that are at the games are outnumbhered, but they are deffinitely not silent. When you go to a road =game, everyone wearing green and white is your friend. You have that special bond knowing that you drove all this way to see your team play.

I have been to St. Cloud, Minnesota, Duluth, and the Final 5 many times for road games. There were always tons of Sioux fans at the games and then out at the local establishments after. But the best road game ever, and I am sure others would agree, would be the trip last year to Omaha. That Friday night game, the entire end was practically Sioux fans. Old Matress factory that Friday and the next Saturday when the game was delayed was packed!! Standing behind the dugout where the players exited the field after the sweep and hearing THOUSANDS of Sioux fans cheer on the team is something that still give me goosebumps. It is moments like these that bond us as fans.

I did not go to UND but my brother did and this is where my love for Sioux hockey and the rest of the Grand Forks area came from. I am from Colorado and make it to about 6 series a year. My brother who is mostly in Afghanistan shares season tickets at the Ralph, but someone from my family makes it up there once a month or so during hockey season to see a weekend series. We are lucky to have great friends in Grand Forks that let us take over their house and drink all their Premiums. They were not too sure about my Alabama friend who goes with me to every away series, but they have grown to love him and his hockey knowledge. Each trip I spend too much money in the Sioux shop or at Scheels. My wardrobe consists of too much Sioux gear but I would not change it.

Over the last few years there has been a different feel in the REA than my first game there. I cannot tell what it is because I am only there for a few series a year. BUT, I have not seen a "Kangas has a mangina" or similar sign in the student section for many years. Where are the students that give so much grief to the other players that there game is affected. Is this a result of REA policy? Is this a result of REA ticket prices? Is this a result of beer prices? I don't know but the entire game day feel has changed. I love going to the REA but the roof does not blow off that place anymore.

My family and I go to Denver, CC and Omaha if their is an away series there. I wait for September to come around to see when tickets go on sale to these series. I go to the DU ticket office at 6 am decked in Sioux gear to be the first in line. I am on the phone, internet or at the local grocery store to get CC and Omaha tickets when they go on sale. I dealt with the Bullshyt ticket policy at Denver this year and still made it into the building. I don't have the luxury of seeing the Sioux on Midco or driving to the arena. I listen to Tim Hennesey or watch the Webcast that has been just above average this year. I cherish the hockey nights that are on CBSSN so I don't have to deal with the web feed and the "it's on your end" responses.

I have justified my use of the "SIOUX" name at the end of the national anthem more times than one should have to. I have also been in several more arguments with opposing Sioux fans who want to tells us to "go home to our tractors" or ask where is Grand Forks? or ask me "what is your nickname again?"

I didn't go to school in GFK but somehow made it on the front of the UND fan guide. The bottom line is, I love Sioux Hockey and the University of North Dakota. I may not be the best most die hard fan, but I am a FIGHTING SIOUX fan!!!

• Upvote 2

Yes Ive been to every one the Gophers have been involved in and UND has NEVER had as many fans at the X as Gopher fans. The regional a week later was the same thing, a lot more Gopher fans than UND.

Obviously you weren't there than! There is a reason it was called the Ralph east! That wasn't because there was more goofer fans than Sioux fans!

Sioux fans definitely out numbered goof fans!

Yes, I was there!

I can recall watching Sioux hockey Sunday afternoon a few years back(ok maybe more than a few), I swear it was either CC or Michigan Tech, and pretty sure it was a playoff, now maybe there was some sort of conflicting event but I am certain I have been to a 3pm start time game

I seem to recall this as well, in fact I was a bit surprised to see the game time was 7pm. Then again, i figured I had just not remembered the past accurately. I suppose it's tough for the teams and maybe the REA has other commitments, but it would seem that an earlier start time would allow for more people to travel back home after the game.

Maybe a more appropriate phrase would be "North Dakota fans always show up."

The practice of saying that one fan base or another "travels well" is one that the media employs to illustrate passion and commitment of a team's fans. And fans of UND hockey seem to have passion and commitment in spades.

And I don't think anyone was saying that all of the North Dakota fans at Target Center this weekend will be driving from Grand Forks. That's just silly. But all of them are connected to the program in some way, and that's pretty special.

Dave

I think you nailed it. The key here is, if the game is in Denver, or Omaha, or wherever, which visiting fan base tends to show up the most? And anecdotally, it seems to be Sioux fans.

And I think another poster already said this but I agree with it. Those that go to away games (regardless of their home address) are probably going to be more vocal than those that are doing the season ticket thing back home.

However, after attending the WMU series, I hope something happens to improve the atmosphere because it was a morgue in there both nights. Both nights we tried to get a "Let's Go Sioux!" chant going with no takers. That's not happened before.

It's kind of fun reading this thread to see where Sioux fans are from and where they've traveled to watch their favorite team. Figure I will share mine, not to refute "Hockey1's" post, but just share the trips I've been on over the years. I live in GF and have seen the Sioux play at Yale, Princeton, Madison (a few times), Duluth, St. Cloud ( a few times), Mankato (a few times), Denver, Omaha (Indoor and outdoor game), Milwaukee (Frozen Four), St. Louis (Frozen Four), St. Paul (Frozen Four), and several Final Fives at the X. Even when I was out east, there were many Sioux fans in attendance. At Princeton, Sioux fans easily outnumbered Tiger fans. We're everywhere! :)

Obviously you weren't there than! There is a reason it was called the Ralph east! That wasn't because there was more goofer fans than Sioux fans!

Sioux fans definitely out numbered goof fans!

Yes, I was there!

You need to remember that the games usually didn't sell out and empty seats count as goopher fans..... ;)