SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

north Dakota fans need to start being fans in Grand Forks. Pathetic effort last night by the crowd.

It was a larger crowd than I was expecting with students gone and a 7 p.m. start. With such a large season ticket base in Fargo, I would be in favor of Sunday's Game 3 being played at 6:08 p.m.

I'm not saying that's all of it, but I know quite a few friends who live in Fargo who didn't come up because at the earliest, they'd get home at 11 p.m.

Dave

It was a larger crowd than I was expecting with students gone and a 7 p.m. start. With such a large season ticket base in Fargo, I would be in favor of Sunday's Game 3 being played at 6:08 p.m.

I'm not saying that's all of it, but I know quite a few friends who live in Fargo who didn't come up because at the earliest, they'd get home at 11 p.m.

Dave

I had a friend who lives in the Cities who stayed for the game last night so I think she's like, "11? I would've loved getting home that early!"

But if you're not used to late night driving, I'm sure some weren't thrilled about a Sunday night game.

Dave

Forgive me for butting in, but this is a very valid suggestion. I have no idea if it's something that's previously been discussed internally over here, but I'll certainly run it up the chain for discussion in future years.

• Upvote 3

I always think the word 'traveling fan base" is overrated. Case in point, there are a lot of UND fans that travel to the final five but with 20,000 UND alumni living in the twin cities I wouldn't doubt most of them travel from the suberbs. Same thing with Denver, there are a lot of North Dakota transplants that live in the Denver area. No doubt, there are fans that travel from Grand Forks I just think the majority of fans at the away arenas live in those cities. You can say the same thing about when Minnesota plays in CC or Denver, there are alot of Gopher fans in the arena but I willing to bet most of them live in the Denver area.

I always think the word 'traveling fan base" is overrated. Case in point, there are a lot of UND fans that travel to the final five but with 20,000 UND alumni living in the twin cities I wouldn't doubt most of them travel from the suberbs. Same thing with Denver, there are a lot of North Dakota transplants that live in the Denver area. No doubt, there are fans that travel from Grand Forks I just think the majority of fans at the away arenas live in those cities. You can say the same thing about when Minnesota plays in CC or Denver, there are alot of Gopher fans in the arena but I willing to bet most of them live in the Denver area.

Thank you Mary Sunshine, but how do you explain the large number of fans that attended the outdoor game in Omaha. The event would have been a major bust if it wasn't for the UND fans that traveled to Omaha to watch the game. The amount of UND fans getting stuck in South Dakota was also well documented. Oh by the way, have you ever drove from ND to the cities when there's a tourney like the Final Five? There's quite a few people that head from ND to the Cites. So you can make you quip about UND fans not traveling, but its unfounded.

• Upvote 1

Of course you can argue that many of the away fans probably already live in the larger metro areas of these teams. But fans still have to buy the tickets and go to the games. No matter how you phrase it, UND seems to bring large contingents of enthusiastic fans regardless of the venue.

Thank you Mary Sunshine, but how do you explain the large number of fans that attended the outdoor game in Omaha. The event would have been a major bust if it wasn't for the UND fans that traveled to Omaha to watch the game. The amount of UND fans getting stuck in South Dakota was also well documented. Oh by the way, have you ever drove from ND to the cities when there's a tourney like the Final Five? There's quite a few people that head from ND to the Cites. So you can make you quip about UND fans not traveling, but its unfounded.

on the other hand I've been to regionals in grand rapids, new hampshire and mass and there has been minimal fan support there. unlike regionals in the cities, wisc or colorado where there are tons of fans with a short drive. here's a valid question, how many on here living in the midwest would next sunday book a flight to cincy or the east coast to watch UND play in a regional?

And in Omaha last year? There was a horde of people driving down to Omaha. For example, while we were driving down through Iowa from Minneapolis we passed a few cars that had GO Sioux and UND regalia on there car. Maybe I'm biased but I don't hear nearly as much about Gopher fans being at away games taking over arenas like Sioux fans always are.

• Upvote 1

Did you come up with this crap all by yourself? :silly:

north Dakota fans need to start being fans in Grand Forks. Pathetic effort last night by the crowd.

some of us tried ;) Driving back to Fargo last night, we were comparing who had the most swollen palms from clapping. Since I actually drew blood, I declared myself the winner, lol! Now to rest them up for the TC...

It certainly does help that Denver has a lot of UND Alumni (second to Minny for metro areas), but I personally had family fly down and ran into some friends who live in Nodak at the game. UND fans do travel quite well and when the game is in our town we do come out and support. Deadly combination!

I guess I am in the minority in that I liked the game at 7 last night because I was out skiing all day. It really is tough to beat a day of backcountry skiing followed by a UND win! Just my perspective.

• Upvote 1

One thing is obvious about the fans who travel, they are true SIOUX fans. Often with a loud "SIOUX" at the end of the anthem, and always with a good number of "Let's Go Sioux" chants in opponents barns. Quite frankly, I love to hear it over any webcast, and gladly take part when I'm "traveling" for a game.

Sadly, I don't hear that type of cheering from fans at REA when games are broadcast there. Occasionally someone will get a wave going, or maybe a "Let's Go Sioux" chant will catch on on a late power play, but many times these efforts fall short of what I've heard in other arena's (especially the Xcel center).

Let's rock the Target Center next weekend, and I hope hear the chants loud and proud in Philly!

Let's Go Sioux!!!

Forgive me for butting in, but this is a very valid suggestion. I have no idea if it's something that's previously been discussed internally over here, but I'll certainly run it up the chain for discussion in future years.

Don't rule out 3pm or 4 pm start from the choices.

• Upvote 1

Don't rule out 3pm or 4 pm start from the choices.

exactly, the hockey east games started at 4:30 local time yesterday. the problem with the 7 Sunday start isn't just for those out of town but it gets late for those that bring young kids. and god forbid it went to overtime(s).

I can recall watching Sioux hockey Sunday afternoon a few years back(ok maybe more than a few), I swear it was either CC or Michigan Tech, and pretty sure it was a playoff, now maybe there was some sort of conflicting event but I am certain I have been to a 3pm start time game

Relax Goon, All I'm saying is when there are UND fans in away arenas NOT all of them travel from Grand Forks. Like I said there are many many transplants that live in the cities, Denver, etc. As for the Omaha games, no doubt there were a lot of UND fans there but to say most of them traveled from Grand Forks is a reach IMO. At the Final five the UND fans I sat next to all of them ( around a dozen lived in suburbs of Minneapolis)

• Upvote 1

Just a little suggestion. Park yourself along the major highway between Grand Forks and an away Sioux game and watch the traffic. You will be amazed at the parade of vehicles traveling to the game, displaying UND stuff. It doesn't matter about location. In the WCHA days we traveled to every arena except Sullivan Arena in Anchorage (we hadn't accomplished that one yet). At the games we saw many of the same people we see at other away and home games. It doesn't matter if it is Houghton, Denver, St. Paul, or Omaha. Yes, local Sioux fans will help the attendance but don't sell short the traveling fan base. It is large. And we live two hours away from Grand Forks.