SiouxSports.com Forum

Odds of both basketball teams dancing this year

Risky

What are the chances both the men's and women's basketball teams are dancing this year? It isn't far fetched. It really could happen. Then just for fun the men's and women's hockey teams could win National titles too. Now that would be a nice winter sports season.

Such little faith from our hockey fans.

FYP.........even though I also have season tickets for FB.

SU wins the Summit and they are dancing...think it has anything to do with the fact that they lead the NATION in FG %? They are 25-6 I believe...not bad. Summit has good overall as BB conference as the BS?? That's debatable but SU won the conference they are in...that's all that matters. So congrats to them...but at least we have state bragging rights!!

FYP.........even though I also have season tickets for FB.

SU wins the Summit and they are dancing...think it has anything to do that they lead the NATION in FG %? They are 25-6 I believe...not bad. Summit has good overall as BB conference as the BS?? That's debatable but SU won the conference they are in...that's all that matters. So congrats to them.

But UND beat NDSU head to head and that's all that matters, right?

Great win for the Bison, congrats to them! But we have a completely different situation. If you watched UND and SU play head to head, there was no question as to who the better team was, UND lead the entire game, and won by 20. However, Weber State has a great basketball team, and it's quite safe to say that they would be heavy favorites in the Summit League just like they are in the Big Sky. I would love to see UND make it to the tournament, and believe that they have a chance if they play their best basketball, but I also believe that the top end of the Big Sky is better than the top end of the Summit League so UND has a taller task than NDSU did. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

It all depends on who shows up to play.....I have more confidence in the women as the consistency has been there. As for the men....we are better off flipping a coin. I hope Coach Jones gets his team ready because every team in the Big Sky is hungry and anyone can win it all....

• Upvote 1

It all depends on who shows up to play.....I have more confidence in the women as the consistency has been there. As for the men....we are better off flipping a coin. I hope Coach Jones gets his team ready because every team in the Big Sky is hungry and anyone can win it all....

Agreed. The women get after it every night; even if they are off their game the work ethic is there. The men are hit and miss; you don't know what you are going to get. I don't care if the men get to the NCAA tournament and get beat by 40 or if they get stuck in one of the play-in games, I just want them to get there. The exposure alone would be worth it.

I'd rather be dancing than bragging about beating an in-state rival. NDSU has a good team, a good coach and has done good this season. Congrats to them and I hope UND can be dancing along with them.

My post was tongue-in-cheek after comments earlier this season from folks who felt the end-game was simply beating NDSU. If UND is eliminated before the NCAA's or even if it is a one-and-done team, I don't think there can be any argument over who had the better season based on overall record.

My post was tongue-in-cheek after comments earlier this season from folks who felt the end-game was simply beating NDSU. If UND is eliminated before the NCAA's or even if it is a one-and-done team, I don't think there can be any argument over who had the better season based on overall record.

Better season, yes. But as far as the better team, that question was undoubtedly answered earlier this season.

As far as the regular season, UND finished 2nd in a larger and better balanced conference. NDSU did win their conference. I would say those two situations sort of balance out. Now that NDSU is in the dance, UND needs to make the dance to hold service with NDSU. They played totally different schedules during the year. But as far as who is the better team, NDSU had a chance to prove that and they got hammered by UND when they played. That pretty much decided that unless they meet again in the tourney. Hopefully we will meet again.

As far as the regular season, UND finished 2nd in a larger and better balanced conference. NDSU did win their conference. I would say those two situations sort of balance out. Now that NDSU is in the dance, UND needs to make the dance to hold service with NDSU. They played totally different schedules during the year. But as far as who is the better team, NDSU had a chance to prove that and they got hammered by UND when they played. That pretty much decided that unless they meet again in the tourney. Hopefully we will meet again.

UND finished .500 and NDSU had 20+ wins plus beat Notre Dame so obviously they had a better regular season, as far as postseason NDSU is dancing, UND needs to dance to stay par or else all they have is a better night than NDSU. A night vs a season you all can choose which one would you rather have.

My heart says that there is a good possibility of both making it, but realistically I estimate a 4-5% chance (about: 45% for the women / 8% for the men with Weber in the final / 15-20% against anyone else in the final).

I could be totally off-base, but based the higher number of “quality” bench players UND has and depending on how things play out, it’s possible that the men could have a considerably higher chance if the championship opponent needs to tap into their bench more than normal due to playing two/three nights in a row (even with UND playing three nights in a row vs. Weber’s two).

Despite the odds, if UND plays on Saturday night, I will be cheering like crazy in Ogden for an opportunity to be in attendance while that first trip to the “Big Dance” is earned. If they lose earlier, I will at least get the “consolation prize” of cheering for the baseball team on Friday/Saturday night(s) in Orem.

My heart says that there is a good possibility of both making it, but realistically I estimate a 4-5% chance (about: 45% for the women / 8% for the men with Weber in the final / 15-20% against anyone else in the final).

I could be totally off-base, but based the higher number of “quality” bench players UND has and depending on how things play out, it’s possible that the men could have a considerably higher chance if the championship opponent needs to tap into their bench more than normal due to playing two/three nights in a row (even with UND playing three nights in a row vs. Weber’s two).

Despite the odds, if UND plays on Saturday night, I will be cheering like crazy in Ogden for an opportunity to be in attendance while that first trip to the “Big Dance” is earned. If they lose earlier, I will at least get the “consolation prize” of cheering for the baseball team on Friday/Saturday night(s) in Orem.

If Weber loses I think the title is a toss up and anyone can get it including UND. Weber seems to be the biggest hurdle.

Better season, yes. But as far as the better team, that question was undoubtedly answered earlier this season.

Great logic...so if Tampa Bay had been able to hold onto a 20+ point lead against the Seahawks this season, they could have had bragging rights as the better team. Riiiiiiight.

The Summit is head and shoulders above the BSC. Just look at the RPI. You also lost to SDSU and NDSU beat them twice. Better team (NDSU) , coach and season - no question about it.

They played SDSU with one player above 6'5" due to injuries plus that SDSU team lost at home to Montana. All sports are about match-ups UND matches up well with NDSU plus the NDSU coach is stupid enough to go man to man all night with UND versus using a zone.