SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

I don't think it has to be about hype it's more about getting the community and fans excited. You don't have to win the conference championship to have a good following in a community. It's about connecting the team and staff with its fans. Giving the fans a reason to come out in the spring and get to know the team - which in the fall could translate into either more season tickets or at the minimum some more walk-ups on game day. Most who follow the team understand where they are at in development - it's about getting some of those that are on the fence to come take another look.

This feels like the athletic department has given up on trying to build on anything in the spring.

You want to get the community and fans excited.....WIN!!!!

He actually gets it better than probably anyone else on here. The fact that these guys are training on their own, on off days, can only mean a number of things.

1. They aren't being challenged enough by UND's strength program (Doubtful)

2. They aren't working hard enough during their scheduled weight and conditioning session (Possible)

3. The are working hard enough during their scheduled weight and conditioning sessions and are setting themselves up for overtraining injuries by stupidly training on off days (Possible)

4. They are mainly at the wellness center to play basketball and possible do a few curls in front of some of the co-eds (I'd like to think probable)

If these guys are doing intense barbell training and sprint and agility training four days a week like I know Baukol's program is, then any additional training on off days is actually counterproductive. This isn't just my opinion, read some of the experts like Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, etc.. They'll all say the same thing, that intense strength training past four days a week isn't sustainable. Ask Baukol himself, he'd probably tell you these guys shouldn't be doing other training on their own outside of his program.

While at wellness they are in the weight floor working out. Yes at times they come just to play ball but not recently. And the one football player in the recent weeks I saw playing basketball put his ball to the side and was working on conditioning more than playing basketball.

So. If Saturday is going to be essentially a regular practice day due to lack of players, why would it be necessary to make a huge production of it?

I am not sure I agree or disagree with the lack of advertising by the athletics office, but I can see how Joe Q. Public (not the intelligent, highly informed folks that post here, obviously ;) ) would be bored or disappointed if they showed up to a highly touted Spring Game event and didn't get to see an actual football game being played.

How much control does Bubba have in the decision to promote the spring game? He may not want the confetti and show at this point, considering he has mentioned numerous times that the team and coaches are still getting to know each other. The team may just not be ready for public consumption yet, and the coaching staff and athletics office know this.

• Upvote 1

Then it's all about communicating the changes with the fans - right now they've shared a tweet or two that just says "not enough OL and DBs to hold an actual scrimmage". It could still be developed and promoted as a fan gathering - heck the spring game isn't about the game - that's usually very low-key with no actual game atmostphere. The spring game is about possibilities, it's about coming together as UND football fans for the first time in 5 months.

I believe propaganda similar to what was put out prior to last season would be a setup for failure. This season they are tempering expectations, and rightly so. This team will not be good this year, but hopefully they improve and carry some pride into future seasons.

Still, the change at the top should be generating a lot of buzz, and that's where this program needs to start. The team needs to show the fans this is different UND football and that attitude should come right now. It really worries me that we are being told not to expect anything this year. I really felt that we needed to 6-6 and no blow outs this year to be respectable and now everyone acts like the season is doomed to failure. I'd say once the team starts believing that, we truly are doomed.

He actually gets it better than probably anyone else on here. The fact that these guys are training on their own, on off days, can only mean a number of things.

2. They aren't working hard enough during their scheduled weight and conditioning session (Possible)

3. The are working hard enough during their scheduled weight and conditioning sessions and are setting themselves up for overtraining injuries by stupidly training on off days (Possible)

4. They are mainly at the wellness center to play basketball and possible do a few curls in front of some of the co-eds (I'd like to think probable)

If these guys are doing intense barbell training and sprint and agility training four days a week like I know Baukol's program is, then any additional training on off days is actually counterproductive. This isn't just my opinion, read some of the experts like Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, etc.. They'll all say the same thing, that intense strength training past four days a week isn't sustainable. Ask Baukol himself, he'd probably tell you these guys shouldn't be doing other training on their own outside of his program.

Somehow I feel like people saying this stuff don't workout. It is possible to lift twice a day 6-7 days a week with the proper program. Are we really whining so much that we are complaining about people going above and beyond.....

I believe propaganda similar to what was put out prior to last season would be a setup for failure. This season they are tempering expectations, and rightly so. This team will not be good this year, but hopefully they improve and carry some pride into future seasons.

Not good? Let's wait and see on that. I'm not saying this will be a playoff season, because I don't think it will be, but 0.500 is possible. That would not make the team bad, especially considering the previous season.

I think this team has potential. We'll know more after the first 3 games or so, obviously.

• Upvote 1

Not good? Let's wait and see on that. I'm not saying this will be a playoff season, because I don't think it will be, but 0.500 is possible. That would not make the team bad, especially considering the previous season.

I think this team has potential. We'll know more after the first 3 games or so, obviously.

I think .500 is a solid goal for this team to shoot for.

There's nothing wrong with them going to the wellness to improve on their weaknesses. They aren't dead lifting or squatting or benching or sprinting. They're working on range of motion flexibility core strength and other very specific things that aren't going to cause overtraining.

I do have a similar concern as you that they don't overtrain. I did that once and it took me almost a year to get back to where I was.

Also Baukol has raved about the work ethic and attitude of the younger players.

• Upvote 1

Somehow I feel like people saying this stuff don't workout. It is possible to lift twice a day 6-7 days a week with the proper program. Are we really whining so much that we are complaining about people going above and beyond.....

Very few people have the know how or diet to workout that often. Plus rest is just as important. Mostly deep sleep not so much lounging.

• Upvote 1

So last year, the UND athletic department sold the season on our exciting home schedule. This year peoples expectations are to be a .500 team and not be blown out in the loses we do have!! Yes we do have a new coach and a new system. The die hards will be there. But to the casual fan, a .500 team is not gonna get people to games or create any interest in this team. Not meaning to be all negative, but the attendance issues from last year are deffinitely going to carry over to this year!!

Very few people have the know how or diet to workout that often. Plus rest is just as important. Mostly deep sleep not so much lounging.

Ture but the assumption that it is hard core training every day with the team just isn't the case. It is usually core work and cardio. The NCAA has strict training policies so it is hard to over train these days. I take BCAA supplements, a whey protein combo, and a creatine supplement and can recover quite quickly. We should be more worried about on the field things instead of training IMHO, these guys know their bodies very well by now

So last year, the UND athletic department sold the season on our exciting home schedule. This year peoples expectations are to be a .500 team and not be blown out in the loses we do have!! Yes we do have a new coach and a new system. The die hards will be there. But to the casual fan, a .500 team is not gonna get people to games or create any interest in this team. Not meaning to be all negative, but the attendance issues from last year are deffinitely going to carry over to this year!!

Last year everyone's hopes of a playoff season with 7 home games were crushed and thrown out the window. This year everyone knows Bubba is going to clean up Muss's mess, and it's not going to be done overnight or through one season. .500 is the bar set, Muss never had 6 DI wins in one season (his best was 5 in 2011), so if Bubba can go 6-6 on an all DI schedule that is a hell of an improvement. Winning will increase attendance more than a spring game.

• Upvote 1

Not if there are big wins and surprises (San Jose State, Montana, Montana State) ...

I'm gonna go out on a limb real early here and say we get at least one win in those above mentioned match-ups

I would tend to go to more games if I knew we were at least competitive. Having a few beers and burgers before hand and then to a game that we have a chance of winning if we play well is attractive to me. Going to a game that we are behind 21-0 in the first quarter gets old very fast. Especially when you know it will probably just get worse. I can have fun at the event without winning the game.

Last year everyone's hopes of a playoff season with 7 home games were crushed and thrown out the window. This year everyone knows Bubba is going to clean up Muss's mess, and it's not going to be done overnight or through one season. .500 is the bar set, Muss never had 6 DI wins in one season (his best was 5 in 2011), so if Bubba can go 6-6 on an all DI schedule that is a hell of an improvement. Winning will increase attendance more than a spring game.

I agree that Bubba's staff with get more blood out the proverbial turnip than Muss's staff did by a long shot. gradually improving over time. we lost some good players, Hardin/Jackson/golliday has to be a net loss. QB;s struggled last year with questionable OL play, but had the best receivers in fcs. we will have a few step up and fill shoes hypothetically. just saying we will focus on the "run game" wont make us a good running team. defense should be better! WHAT IS the +/- on personnel for this year.

I don't think you get it. And I'm not sure you will.

All due respect. ....so guys lifting in the wellness....apparently aren't being worked hard enough. So I guess I dont get it. Not knocking guys for working hard but a d1 athlete should have off season workouts that are intense to the point prescribed rest periods are needed-required for optimal gains. If they are doing workouts created for their specific needs at a regular student facility....why...doesn't make sense for a d1 football program.

• Upvote 1

To me Reyes is the guy I am most excited to see, he is a guy that could be a face of this team for the next few years. It is nice to hear rumblings around that the younger players are stepping up into somewhat of a leadership role in certain areas as that is huge in my opinion. I am taking offense for a grain of salt right now because it is all new termanology and they probably have a couple starting OL transferring in for fall semester but that Safety position in paticular I am hearing consistently good things about. That is so damn refreshing to me.

I am starting to see some of the punch you in the mouth defense we have been missing and that is what I am mostly taking out of this spring. The fact the Bubba has gotten the buy in from a lot of the players makes this a successful spring regardless of the outcome.

I hope so.....the defense I saw last year threw very few punches.....nothing better than watching defensive football knowing guys will keep bringing it all four quarters rather than taking a punch and laying down.......already excited

• Upvote 2

All due respect. ....so guys lifting in the wellness....apparently aren't being worked hard enough. So I guess I dont get it. Not knocking guys for working hard but a d1 athlete should have off season workouts that are intense to the point prescribed rest periods are needed-required for optimal gains. If they are doing workouts created for their specific needs at a regular student facility....why...doesn't make sense for a d1 football program.

http://trevormooney.wordpress.com/division-i-football-lifting-schedule-university-of-delaware/

The link above is for the University of Delaware team. They lift M-Tu-TH-Fr-Sun and have the game Saturday, so they work out 6 days a week if you include the game and take Wednesdays off. The point is you can do it 6 days a week when the program is planned out like this. Rest is needed, but with the amount of workout these guys do I have to believe that they know their own bodies well enough to the point of when they need a break. I just think it's an overreaction because of all the knowledge and science out their today, as players usually have a summer lifting program to follow.

I hope so.....the defense I saw last year threw very few punches.....nothing better than watching defensive football knowing guys will keep bringing it all four quarters rather than taking a punch and laying down.......already excited

I am hoping he turns into a John Lynch style safety, just seeing some damn emotion again would be a nice change of pace. Looking forward to Bubba losing his mind on the sideline like the good ol' days!

http://trevormooney....ty-of-delaware/

The link above is for the University of Delaware team. They lift M-Tu-TH-Fr-Sun and have the game Saturday, so they work out 6 days a week if you include the game and take Wednesdays off. The point is you can do it 6 days a week when the program is planned out like this. Rest is needed, but with the amount of workout these guys do I have to believe that they know their own bodies well enough to the point of when they need a break. I just think it's an overreaction because of all the knowledge and science out their today, as players usually have a summer lifting program to follow.

Actually according to that link they lift three times a week during the season Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and four times a week during the offseason Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I know this is pretty much identical to how often UND has their players lift. It's also how NDSU, Nebraska, and countless other programs do it. No one has their players lifting 6 days a week as almost all of these programs are bult around powerlifting/ olympic lifting movements that are too physically taxing to perform 6 days a week.

I guess my point is any player who is lifting on their own at the Wellness Center on off days or as a second workout after the programmed workout is finished, is at best wasting their time and, at worst, actually putting themselves at risk for an overtraining injury. If these players want to put in additional time on their own it would be better spent doing independent film study, player organized skelly and inside sessions, or learning the new playbook.