SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Pairwise rankings

jimdahl

In PWR news, USCHO seems to have changed their PWR tables to match those on this site and CHN, so all three sources should now be identical (except for the occasional data differences, particularly while game results are coming in).

Nice to have that controversy cleared up, so there's no confusion which are the right numbers.

In PWR news, USCHO seems to have changed their PWR tables to match those on this site and CHN, so all three sources should now be identical (except for the occasional data differences, particularly while game results are coming in).

Nice to have that controversy cleared up, so there's no confusion which are the right numbers.

I feel like my first question has been answered but I can't remember. What was the difference in calculations that CHN was using? Any idea why CHN knew to make change that you and USCHO didn't?

I feel like my first question has been answered but I can't remember. What was the difference in calculations that CHN was using? Any idea why CHN knew to make change that you and USCHO didn't?

The NCAA announcement said this:

The Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) is calculated using three factors with weightings as follows: 25% Winning Percentage, 21% Opponents’ Winning Percentage, and 54% Opponents’ Opponents’ Winning Percentage.

In calculation of the index, wins on the road and losses at home shall have a weighting factor of 1.2. Wins at home and losses on the road shall have a weighting factor of 0.8. All neutral-site games have a weighting factor of 1.0. A tie is one-half of a win and one-half of a loss, so home/road ties are treated accordingly for the teams involved.

There are two legitimate ways to interpret that description of the weightings: apply them to the win%, or apply them to all three components (the entire game).

USCHO applied the weights to just the win% (based on comments they made on their forum, primarily because that's what basketball does), whereas CHN applied them to all three components. I decided I preferred the CHN implementation, so adopted it.

I think it's a very good sign that USCHO has come to agree. I don't think they would make this change, and thus reveal they were wrong, unless they had pretty good evidence that the CHN implementation was correct. So, I think we can now have pretty good confidence that this PWR matches what the committee will do.

• Upvote 1

According to your predictions Jim it would appear that UND had a lot go their way this weekend(outside of the sweep) as you showed only about an 8% chance they'd end up at #12 with two wins

Yep, and most surprisingly the things that I would have claimed would have helped them the most (Denver and Maine getting swept) did not occur. Not much to say other than that the 8% chance events do occur sometimes (I suppose about 1 out of 12 times, right?)

I'm curious whether this "over achieving" means the 12 spot is particularly precarious, and should have that info within a day or so. If I get a chance I might try to look into why UND ended up at the upper end of its likely outcomes this week, but it wasn't immediately obvious.

Yep, and most surprisingly the things that I would have claimed would have helped them the most (Denver and Maine getting swept) did not occur. Not much to say other than that the 8% chance events do occur sometimes (I suppose about 1 out of 12 times, right?)

I'm curious whether this "over achieving" means the 12 spot is particularly precarious, and should have that info within a day or so. If I get a chance I might try to look into why UND ended up at the upper end of its likely outcomes this week, but it wasn't immediately obvious.

Yup looks like we got lucky. I was thinking the exact thing about the ranking being precarious so if you made me guess I would say 9-10 with a sweep 14-15 with a split and 18-19 if getting swept. However you need to understand that there is absolutely no math behind these predictions, just guessing :)

It didn't take much digging to find out that the teams just ahead of UND in the PWR really paved the path for UND last weekend:

Cornell (got swept)

Vermont (got swept)

Duluth (got swept)

Colgate (two ties)

Providence (lost and tied)

KRACH had put the combined odds of enough of that happening to let UND jump to #12 around 8%.

Too bad we couldn't have kept the old band (WCHA) together...really miss those trips to Mettlers, I mean Mankato...:)

Mettlers...I still thank them for easing some of the pain after the Sioux got pounded by Mankato in a sweep there...I think that was 2004 or 2005...

Mettlers...I still thank them for easing some of the pain after the Sioux got pounded by Mankato in a sweep there...I think that was 2004 or 2005...

I was there for that one...I think MSU had Backes and Grant Stephenson? playing for them then...it was an ugly crowd...literally...my brother got challenged to a fight in the bathroom there waiting to take a piss...just standing there waiting with his 7 year old son...I prefer to remember the 10 spot UND put on them one year or the Vande Velde goal at the end of the 3rd beating 2 defenseman and the goalie with 10 seconds to go...