SiouxSports.com Forum

Blizzard Warning for Red River Valley today (12-28-2013)

fightingsioux4life

We got ourselves a good old fashioned prairie blizzard today; along with plunging temperatures.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=fgf

Blizzard conditions are expect to spread southward to the South Dakota state line this afternoon. Winds across southeastern ND and the southern valley will increase to 40 mph to 50 mph over the next couple of hours, resulting in blowing snow. The blowing snow will reduce visibilities to less than one quarter of a mile with localized white out conditions. Improved but still hazardous conditions are expected east of the valley, where the primary hazards will be drifting snow and rapidly falling temperatures. Temperatures will fall rapidly across the ENTIRE region tonight and a wind chill warning may be needed, especially across the north, after 9 PM. This frigid airmass will remain in place through mid week.

Stay safe everyone.

http://www.crh.noaa....ry.php?site=fgf

Blizzard conditions expected to develop near the Canadian border around 5 pm, into the Grand Forks area around 8 pm, into the Fargo area around 10 pm, continuing into Saturday morning. Life threatening wind chills to 60 below are expected through this weekend into early next week.Please check the NWS Grand Forks website at www.weather.gov/fgf for updates. Expect a more general snow event today into tonight for Roseau-Warroad-Lake of the Woods area with 3-5 inches through early Saturday. Otherwise today will see low pressure track to near Grafton by 6 pm. south of the low in eastern ND expect some warmer temps with high climbing to the mid 20s to lower 30s. With this warm air may come some light freezing precip this afternoon. Winds will turn to the north-northwest behind the low and expect a period of snow showers and strong winds to drop south through eastern ND and the Red River valley later today into tonight causing blizzard conditions. Very cold air will follow with continued north winds into the weekend into Monday with wind chills Sunday-Monday 40 to 60 below zero.

I plan on going home after work and staying there.

Governor in Minnesota has already cancelled school for Monday. They are calling it the worst cold outbreak to potentially effect Minnesota in 17 years. Luckily I am still in the SW part on break, but even there they are expecting 50 below wind chills Sunday Night into Monday.

I can't imaging what it is going to be like up in Grand Forks (up to 60 below wind chills I heard)

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NDZ039&warncounty=NDC017&firewxzone=NDZ039&local_place1=&product1=Blizzard+Warning#.UscHPz_nYok

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING WITH

IMPROVEMENT BY MID TO LATE MORNING. VERY COLD AIR WILL RETURN TO

THE AREA SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY. DURING THIS COLD OUTBREAK GUSTY

NORTH WINDS WILL CAUSE WIND CHILLS OF 40 BELOW TO 60 BELOW ZERO.

Low temps close to -30 alone, but windchills....BRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Is it wrong to hope that they cancel ND schools for Monday....and that they decided to close my work on Monday?

Stay safe everyone! and keep warm!

I hope ND cancels school. I would rather my kids stay warm at home than having them wait for a bus in the "life threatening" cold.

I hope ND cancels school. I would rather my kids stay warm at home than having them wait for a bus in the "life threatening" cold.

That is kind of what I am thinking. I really don't want to send our bookmobile out, so that the kids can wait outside in the cold because their teacher went in without all of the students and the doors to the school are locked!

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at a severe Blizzard late Wednesday night into Thursday. Travel will be almost impossible on Thursday:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=fgf

A Blizzard Warning is in effect for the Red River Valley into the Devils Lake Basin for late Tonight into Thursday evening. Blizzard conditions are expected to develop around midnight near the Canadian Border, moving quickly into the southern Red River Valley late tonight. Northerly winds will gust over 60 mph at times, and zero visibility will result, perhaps even in larger towns and cities. Travel will likely become impossible at times during the Thursday morning commute when light snow combines with the intense northerly winds. A band of light snow and some blowing snow will also move from west to east today, creating additional travel troubles. Spread the word to family and friends, and take proper precautions for localized power outages with the potentially damaging wind gusts that may occur.

Take care everyone.

If you thought you were flying out of grand forks tomorrow at 5 or 8 your aren't. The delta ticket counter will open at 730 due to the weather.

I see that Delta is still bringing one of the two into FAR tonight. Better to leave the planes in MSP than bring them in and not get them out screwing up the rest of the day.