SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors

AZSIOUX

Us world junior team is able to have exhibitions vs NCAA teams. Wouldn't it be nice to see und have an exhibition vs the Canadian team? Would USA hockey frown on this?

In 1999, UND beat the Canadian National Team 6-1 at the Old REA in early October. I am not sure which Canadian team that was exactly, but it was a good early sign of what that team was capable of.

In 1999, UND beat the Canadian National Team 6-1 at the Old REA in early October. I am not sure which Canadian team that was exactly, but it was a good early sign of what that team was capable of.

Could the NCAA say no to this game though due to playing against pretty much a Canadian junior all star team? Isn't the us team generally stocked with a few Canadian junior athletes as well?

I seem to remember circumstances where guys would be playing their teammates in the past...so I think you can do it, and the Mankato game reinforces that.

On another note, hockey will never be to the US what it is to Canada. Hockey is to Canada what Football is to Texas and Hoops is to Indiana combined.

As long as we win a medal, I don't care who the coach is. This is nation vs. nation; for two weeks all the bitter rivalries are set aside.

Very much agree with this post. However, will other people agree. Will rival fan bases of Minnesota cheer against the USA because Lucia is the coach or will they Cheer for USA because it is our nation. I seem to remember some posters here were happy when Toews scored on Frazee and could care less about the nation vs nation. I know Toews played for UND and Frazee played for Minnesota but at that game it was Canada vs USA.

Very much agree with this post. However, will other people agree. Will rival fan bases of Minnesota cheer against the USA because Lucia is the coach or will they Cheer for USA because it is our nation. I seem to remember some posters here were happy when Toews scored MULTIPLE TIMES on Frazee and could care less about the nation vs nation. I know Toews played for UND and Frazee played for Minnesota but at that game it was Canada vs USA.

Fixed your post;)

Has the U.S. ever won a World Junior tournament without a UND player? I know they had Parise, Murray and Stafford in 2004, then Kristo in 2010 and finally Grimaldi last year. Of course a number of colleges can probably say the same, but I choose to look at it with green colored glasses.

Last year I ripped on the coach and he proved me wrong and they won the gold. So I'll go ahead and throw Don under the bus now. Can't believe he's the coach. He's terrible. Awful...... GET RID OF HIM!!!!!

Which reminds me...what happened to passit_offthegoalie? He was a big Phil Housley fan too.

Has the U.S. ever won a World Junior tournament without a UND player? I know they had Parise, Murray and Stafford in 2004, then Kristo in 2010 and finally Grimaldi last year. Of course a number of colleges can probably say the same, but I choose to look at it with green colored glasses.

No, the US has 3 gold medals and at least one UND player was on each team.

Canada should win it every year with the talent they produce. I'll take a Don Cherry quote, "Canada could make three teams, and they'd all medal".

They show up like the big kid on the block, they get all the media attention, the entire nation is watching every move the team makes. Go to TSN.com during the tournament and you've got at least five stories daily on team Canada. Where as in the United States, its just us amateur hockey lovers that know whats going on wherever the tourney is held. I think its good for the sport when a country not named Canada wins. Probably like when the U.S. men's basketball team doesn't win gold at the olympics.

If Canada does not win gold, just go to the TSN website and read the comments section after the news article. That was a few nights entertainment last year. Talk about ripping everything from the national organization down to the coaches, the selection process (east vs west bias), and then the players.

If Canada does not win gold, just go to the TSN website and read the comments section after the news article. That was a few nights entertainment last year. Talk about ripping everything from the national organization down to the coaches, the selection process (east vs west bias), and then the players.

They throw everybody under the bus, even Cherry will toss a few in his articles, it's first or dogcrap for them. :lol:

@mikemorrealeNHL: U.S. will reportedly send home Ryan Fitzgerald, Anthony DeAngelo and JT Compher this morning. Compher's release is due to injury

@TheNCHC: #DYK @CCTigers defenseman Jaccob Slavin was the only #USAWJC team member to notch multiple points in last night's exhibition win - 2 assists

Lost 4-2 to Sweden in Exhibition action. Clearly time to Fire Don Lucia.

Looks like they played pretty well minus the score. Outshot them by quite a bit, just couldn't score a goal. Where have we heard that before?

Edit*

Not the best game for Stolarz or whatever his name is in the net. Not sure who the goaltender will be at this point.